U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:52 PM

3,287 posts, read 5,437,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
People move to easten NC because it's supposedly afforable right? Why are the gas prices anywhere east of Smithfield at least 10 cents more a gallon than Raleigh/Cary/CH?!?!? I've noticed this because I have driven to Cary the past 3 weekends in a row. I guess we should thank Fisher Oil Co. for the markup?!

The average family in New Bern earns $39k/year. The average family in Raleigh earns $60k/year. The homes in New Bern are not less expensive than Raleigh. Taxes are the same as Raleigh. The utilities in NB are more expensive. So much for cheaper living. No wonder 20% of the New Bern population is below the poverty line.

Perhaps it is more affordable to live in eastern NC than up north. However, for non-retirees (those who still have to work) it may not be as affordable as you may think.
I have no clue how you could say homes in New Bern/Eastern NC are the same price as Raleigh, how is that? I lived near Crabtree in Raleigh around 2006/2007 and it cost around $550k, but here in Greenville/Eastern Carolina that same house would be a cool $300k. And when compared to Maryland (except certain parts of Baltimore bc the home values are very low, but they tax you to death) all of NC is a haven for home prices. I have aunt who lives in a shack (not really a shack but if it were here it would be a shack) in Silver Spring, MD & the current value of the home is approaching 500k, it's only 2 bedrooms and one bath. In the same county where Silver Spring is they tax you so badly that they make you pay for grocery bags in any store. (I think it's .5 a bag if I'm not mistaken) So New Bern/East Carolina is a haven in my opinion compared to Raleigh, or any northern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,653,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I have no clue how you could say homes in New Bern/Eastern NC are the same price as Raleigh, how is that? I lived near Crabtree in Raleigh around 2006/2007 and it cost around $550k, but here in Greenville/Eastern Carolina that same house would be a cool $300k. And when compared to Maryland (except certain parts of Baltimore bc the home values are very low, but they tax you to death) all of NC is a haven for home prices. I have aunt who lives in a shack (not really a shack but if it were here it would be a shack) in Silver Spring, MD & the current value of the home is approaching 500k, it's only 2 bedrooms and one bath. In the same county where Silver Spring is they tax you so badly that they make you pay for grocery bags in any store. (I think it's .5 a bag if I'm not mistaken) So New Bern/East Carolina is a haven in my opinion compared to Raleigh, or any northern state.
I know Raleigh like the back of my hand and I can assure you that New Bern homes are NOT more affordable than the ones in Raleigh. It is all about location and desireablity. Glenwood/Creedmoor/ITB are more desireable areas and are therefore more expensive than other parts of Raleigh including Rock Quarry Road, South Raleigh, Avent Ferry, Tryon Rd., Lake Wheeler, etc. (which all have Raleigh addresses).

In my subdivision (in New Bern) homes are on the market up to $675K. One could live in a nice home in North Raleigh for that price. Of course there are less desireable parts of New Bern that are less expensive but it's like anything in life..........you get what you pay for.

New Bern is a very small town and there are very small towns up north which offer homes for the same prices as the ones in NB. The difference is that the homes up north are much older. The homes in NC are nicer because they are new. Of course this goes back to location. I'm sure your aunt in Silver Springs lives in a good location. I seriously doubt a 2 bed 1 bath home in a poor location would cost 500k. I lived up north untill the age of 14 in the town of Dracut, Ma which is a small town 1 hour outside Boston. You can still buy a nice (OLDER) home there for less than 300k.

Have you ever been to Wilmington?! Homes there are expensive. Wilmington is comperable to Chapel Hill as far as home prices are concerned. Plus factor in the cost of home owners insurance, flood insurance, etc. and your cost of living is higher than Chapel Hill plus wages are lower.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I'm sure your aunt in Silver Springs lives in a good location. I seriously doubt a 2 bed 1 bath home in a poor location would cost 500k.
Silver Spring is in Montgomery County which is the richest county in the nation. Everything is expensive there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82
My question is, who is leading peopleto beleive that ENC is so cheap?
Compared to a whole lot of other places it is cheap. The house we're in now would cost at least twice as much as where we moved from. My daughter and her family (husband, 2 kids) in Maryland had a $2300 mortgage payment on a 1040 sq ft house.

Electricity is more expensive. Car insurance. Taxes. Transfer taxes on real estate. There are a whole host of more expensive things there and so few that are cheaper.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,907 times
I moved from southern MD to Elizabeth City just a few months ago, and still find it quite humorous that the people here think the cost of living is so high! Compared to southern MD, it's MUCH cheaper for us to live here. We had heating oil costs in MD of at least $300 per month (and that was the budget plan--you paid a set amount for 10 months out of the year), on top of that was electricity, then water, garbage and sewer. Our car insurance went down by more than 50% when we moved to EC. Yes, gas is high, but it's high everywhere. Our rent also went down by 50% and it's a much nicer house we have here in EC than up in MD.
It was so funny--everyone we met when we first moved in, and I mean everyone, warned us about the high electric costs. They told us for a house this size (and a family of 6) that we could have an $800 electric bill in the winter (everything being electric in the house). Our bill for the middle of Jan. going into Feb. was a "whopping" $305 (and it was cold outside!), and that includes electricity, water, sewer and garbage pickup. And we were comfortably warm, although we do wear sweatshirts and appropriate winter clothing during the winter. Our heating bill alone in MD would have been that much. (I don't know how people are getting $800 heating bills unless they're keeping their houses at 80 degrees or something--it's winter, put on a sweater!)
People are very friendly and polite. Young boys (and grown men too) hold the door open for ladies and older people (good job on the manners, moms!). We were amazed just the other day at the consideration and thoughtfulness of the trash department--we had forgotton to put our trash cans out at the street for garbage day. Bummer! No way could we stuff another week's garbage into those cans, so we figured we'd have to haul our trash to the dump ourselves. We called the town to see about that and they said, no problem, the guys will just come back around and get your trash right now, what's your address? We had barely gotten the cans out to the street before they came by to empty them. Anyplace else we've ever lived (and we've moved around quite a bit) would have just said, tough luck, we'll see you next week.
I know a lot of people in EC have lived here all their lives and they've seen prices increase as the years have passed, but that has happened everywhere, and believe me, there are much more expensive places to live than EC! Living within an hour's drive of the beautiful Outer Banks is another wonderful plus of this area.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklvr777 View Post
I don't know how people are getting $800 heating bills unless they're keeping their houses at 80 degrees or something--it's winter, put on a sweater!
You hit the nail right on the head with this statement. I have spoken to many people that complain about the "high" cost of electricity here and they all have the same thing in common. They use massive amounts of power. From having the thermostat set way too high to using 3 or 4 of those 300 watt high powered lights outside all night long, they consume way too much power. When you leave a room, turn out the lights. Replace those 60 watt bulbs with 13 watt CFLs. Get your heat pump serviced once in a while and if it's more than 10 years old, consider replacing it. My heat pump is a 20.5 seer. I have a 1,000 sq ft house (it's just me and the wife) and we average $80 a month. We had a slightly bigger house in MD, about 100 sq ft, with the same energy conservation attitude that we have here, and we paid an average of $155 a month (BGE). It is far cheaper in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina