U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,719,045 times

Advertisements

People move to easten NC because it's supposedly afforable right? Why are the gas prices anywhere east of Smithfield at least 10 cents more a gallon than Raleigh/Cary/CH?!?!? I've noticed this because I have driven to Cary the past 3 weekends in a row. I guess we should thank Fisher Oil Co. for the markup?!

The average family in New Bern earns $39k/year. The average family in Raleigh earns $60k/year. The homes in New Bern are not less expensive than Raleigh. Taxes are the same as Raleigh. The utilities in NB are more expensive. So much for cheaper living. No wonder 20% of the New Bern population is below the poverty line.

Perhaps it is more affordable to live in eastern NC than up north. However, for non-retirees (those who still have to work) it may not be as affordable as you may think.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,177,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
People move to easten NC because it's supposedly afforable right?
not that i know of, no. typically people move to eastern NC because it is near the ocean. If I had wanted affordable, I would've lived somewhere like Columbia or Greensboro.

Quote:
Why are the gas prices anywhere east of Smithfield at least 10 cents more a gallon than Raleigh/Cary/CH?!?!? I've noticed this because I have driven to Cary the past 3 weekends in a row. I guess we should thank Fisher Oil Co. for the markup?!

The average family in New Bern earns $39k/year. The average family in Raleigh earns $60k/year. The homes in New Bern are not less expensive than Raleigh. Taxes are the same as Raleigh. The utilities in NB are more expensive. So much for cheaper living. No wonder 20% of the New Bern population is below the poverty line.

Perhaps it is more affordable to live in eastern NC than up north. However, for non-retirees (those who still have to work) it may not be as affordable as you may think.
well, that's the difference between income and wealth.

due to the economic melt-up, u.s. wealth is held mostly by retirees (or those soon-to-be), and the ENC housing prices are driven by relocating retirees unloading their savings/investment in this area.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM
LLN

5,032 posts, read 8,966,267 times
If you end up in an "electric city", New Bern being one, you are certainly screwed on electical costs, that is for sure!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 AM

700 posts, read 2,978,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
People move to easten NC because it's supposedly afforable right? Why are the gas prices anywhere east of Smithfield at least 10 cents more a gallon than Raleigh/Cary/CH?!?!? I've noticed this because I have driven to Cary the past 3 weekends in a row. I guess we should thank Fisher Oil Co. for the markup?!

I think people move here for the weather and the ocean,not the cost of living.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,925,480 times
NC Metro Averages as of this morning (1/11/12):

Greensboro & Triad - $3.395 per gallon of regular.
Wilmington - $3.397
Raleigh & Triangle - $3.419
Asheville - $3.424
Charlotte - $3.429
Fayetteville - $3.478

AAA

Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
NC Metro Averages as of this morning (1/11/12):

Greensboro & Triad - $3.395 per gallon of regular.
Wilmington - $3.397
Raleigh & Triangle - $3.419
Asheville - $3.424
Charlotte - $3.429
Fayetteville - $3.478

AAA
That is NOT accurate. WRAL (the local news station) has an accurate list. It is $3.33 for regular unleaded. New Bern is $3.39 for the least expensive place in town.

Find the lowest gas prices in the Triangle :: WRAL.com

New Bern Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in New Bern, North Carolina and Craven County to Save Money on Fuel - Motor Trend Magazine

Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I think people move here for the weather and the ocean,not the cost of living.
I've heard many retirees say they move to New Bern because of the "low cost of living" compared to other places such as Destin, Florida or even Morehead City, NC.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 PM

308 posts, read 696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you end up in an "electric city", New Bern being one, you are certainly screwed on electical costs, that is for sure!
That's for sure. I lived in Greenville for a year, and them moved to Va. The rate per KWH was 45% lower in Va.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 AM

2,164 posts, read 5,173,028 times
Whether it's cheaper or not depends on where you came from and where you moved to. I can with all certainty tell you that people are moving to this area because it is cheaper. Homes are significantly, by about 50%, cheaper here than in the Northeast. Since the homes are cheaper the property tax is cheaper. Electricity is cheaper. You've never had to pay a expensive bill until you've gotten a Constellation Energy bill. It averages about 4 cents more per KWH.

Transfer taxes are cheaper when you buy and sell homes. Auto insurance is cheaper. Veternarians are cheaper. Medical costs are cheaper. Private schools are cheaper. Day care for children is cheaper. Just to have a dog is cheaper. In the county I moved from dog tags are $20 a year. They don't even have dog tags here. Vehicle license plates are cheaper.

The list just goes on and on. People move here because the cost of living is cheaper, the weather is more moderate and it's near the ocean.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 PM

196 posts, read 510,149 times
Unaltered dog tag is $24, altered dog is $6 now in Howard County. But our wonderful governor is proposing raising sales tax, gasoline taxes and even raising the tax on people with septic systems in Maryland.

Less than three years and WE'RE becoming North Carolinians.

Oh, yeah, in addition to the cost of living being lower, we've also found the pace of life in NC more relaxed and the people are generally friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina