U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 PM

23 posts, read 70,905 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how the weather is in Wilmington. I'm mostly concerned about hurricanes and tornadoes. I live in Michigan so I'm not use to severe weather as such besides major snow storms. Are there many hurricanes or tornadoes that touch down in Wilmington and when they are a threat, do residents usually leave town or how exactly do they take cover in a situation like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM

11,448 posts, read 20,438,902 times
Yes there are hurricanes. Every few years one is bad enough that it is a good idea to evacuate. Everyone shold have a plan on where to go, or how to shelter in place. Here is a map from NOAA on historic paths across the NC coast: Historical Hurricane Tracks

The tornadoes are rare, but NC did get hit last summer. As you are from the midwest, you know they are unpredictable. Most people around here have little experience with tornadoes, and we do not usually have storm shelters.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,172,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingcupcakes View Post
Can anyone tell me how the weather is in Wilmington. I'm mostly concerned about hurricanes and tornadoes. I live in Michigan so I'm not use to severe weather as such besides major snow storms. Are there many hurricanes or tornadoes that touch down in Wilmington and when they are a threat, do residents usually leave town or how exactly do they take cover in a situation like that.
i would head for the hills during a direct hit from a cat 4 or cat 5. personally i go where friends and family have places to stay, west / southwest / northwest of here. if i didn't have anywhere free to stay, i would probably head to somewhere like Greensboro, Charlotte, or Columbia and get a hotel room for a while.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM

9 posts, read 17,432 times
I lived in Charlotte in 1989 and I can tell you that hurricanes can be unpredictable too! Charlotte was devastated by Hugo and no one expected anything like that in Charlotte, so we were unprepared.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 22,313 times
In regards to hurricanes/tropical storms, most that pass this way just run on up the coast and out to sea. What is rare is a CAT 4 or above (think Katrina or the 5 gulf coast storms that hit Florida, Charly for one in 2005 or 2006) Most that strike NC coast are Cat 3 and below, usually high Cat 1/mid Cat 2. Flooding is the reason for most coastal evacuations. Hurricane Irene (Cat 1) this summer generated no mandatory evacuations of Wilmington, Jacksonville however there were voluntary evacs for the coastal islands, ie. Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Topsail Beach/Surf City (south of J'ville), Emerald Isle, Salter Path, Atlantic Beach (north of J'ville) and curfews that ran about 12 hrs before landfall and up to 2 days post storm. She actually made more damage up in NY, NJ, Conn, etc and that was almost all flooding related. In regards to evacuation, they set up storm centers inland for people who live on the beaches and ones who live inland that have need for uninterupted power (health reasons usually). Other people may travel as far away as 2 to 3 hrs to Raleigh and such but damage can happen in the center of the state as well, Charlotte is 5 hrs away, Hurricane Hugo came in through Charleston, SC in 1989 and affected Fayetteville and Charlotte. J'ville was basically unaffected! So yes, unpredictable. Just like Mid-West tornadoes, snowstorms, flooding etc...no perfect place although I enjoy it greatly here.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:32 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,907,597 times
The National Climatic Data Center recorded 16 tornadoes in New Hanover county between April 1950 and October 2011 with no deaths and only 5 injuries.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM

23 posts, read 70,905 times
Thank you all for your replies. I live in Upper Michigan, there are never any tornado threats up here, literally the only severe weather we have are snow blizzards which are pretty harmless unless you leave the house. They might get tornados in lower michigan but upper michigan is pretty much untouchable from any weather threats of any kind. Why would I want to leave? I just figured there are millions of people who live in places that deal with these kinds of weather threats (hurricanes, floods) and they don't seem bothered by it. We get a lot of snow up here and it's often bitter cold, sometimes I'd just rather be someplace warm. Charlotte seems nice but too big of city. I have yet to visit Wilmington and see what it's like in person but it seems like an alright place to be. I'm just wondering if it's worth the risk. The risk meaning the quality of life in Wilmington. I'm also concerned about buying a home and there being the chance of it getting destroyed by a flood or hurricane. I know having insurance is a must but I'd hate to put all that money and time into something that won't last. Seems like all the homes in the historic district are still holding up so that has to say something.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,162,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingcupcakes View Post
I'm also concerned about buying a home and there being the chance of it getting destroyed by a flood or hurricane. I know having insurance is a must but I'd hate to put all that money and time into something that won't last. Seems like all the homes in the historic district are still holding up so that has to say something.
And the homes holding up well is the point I was going to make. I wouldn't let the rare severe weather event stop you. In fact, some morons, such as myself, move to this area just to be a little closer to the real action.

The weather is a real risk but just like any other risk, it can be managed and prepared for. Preparation is the key. Spend the money and get the correct insurance, including flood if you're in one of those areas. Get a safety deposit box and keep your most valued possesions in it. Buy the high dollar first aid bag and keep it up to date. Get a nice weather radio and program it or have someone program it to receive alerts for your county only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina