U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times

Advertisements

This question has been asked a thousand times. Recommend the search function. The best answer, however, sticks in my mind:

"Waitress, Cashier, or Stripper, depends how you look."

Unfortunately, in a town filled with an abundance of spouses seeking any and all jobs, that is pretty much it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM

431 posts, read 1,011,527 times
When looking for a job, make sure you actually go into the store/restaurant. We get a lot of calls at my job from people asking if we're hiring. It just looks bad if you don't even put in the effort to show up to ask. Apply places, follow through with a phone call. Show you're dedicated to getting a job.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 57,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
When looking for a job, make sure you actually go into the store/restaurant. We get a lot of calls at my job from people asking if we're hiring. It just looks bad if you don't even put in the effort to show up to ask. Apply places, follow through with a phone call. Show you're dedicated to getting a job.
Oh! Thanks for the advice
I usually just apply online, but I will have to start actually going to the places now

Old 01-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
Oh! Thanks for the advice
I usually just apply online, but I will have to start actually going to the places now
A lot of places do online applications. My job does. But it just shows you're interested. That way you don't waste your time applying at places that aren't hiring.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
Quote:
You get those calls for a reason. Unemployment requires an individual to look for a job. A phone call is all it takes to say that you've looked for a job. The person calling for a job usually already knows that you're going to say no.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You get those calls for a reason. Unemployment requires an individual to look for a job. A phone call is all it takes to say that you've looked for a job. The person calling for a job usually already knows that you're going to say no.
The thing is, we never say no. We say we're always taking applications. But I know what you mean.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:56 AM

31 posts, read 98,489 times
xTaylor,

I am sorry that some of the initial responses to your post were a little harsh. But, unfortunately, the information they gave is pretty accurate.

I have lived both near Chicago (Waukegan) and here (as well as everywhere from Seattle to San Diego to DC) and it may help to provide you with a little perspective on how different these areas are.

You referenced Aurora as compared to Jacksonville.

Aurora is one of the most classic, and orginial, suburban cities. It grew in to a city over generations. It has alot of money and influence from Chicago - one of the most metropolitan cities in our nation. It developed from factories and railroads to malls and parks and residential neighborhoods.

Jacksonville began as a tiny town on a river inlet removed from any urban influence. While New Bern to the north and Wilmington to the south were both industrial port cities, neither (even combined!) holds a candle to the influence of Chicago. In fact, parts of Onslow county, where Jacksonville is located, are still zoned as Rural. Other than being the county seat, having a courthouse and fishing & farming, Camp Lejeune (and MCAS New River) are really the major "industry" here. All the other businesses and commerce we have here developed largely in support of the population that the bases brought in. There was little to no urban planning here. Things just sort of popped up, and still do.

There is not a lot to do here for a teen or young adult unless you enjoy the outdoors. I think 18-21 is a difficult age to live here b/c most everything we have is focused on Marines and other military service members between the ages of 21-25 (like the bars and clubs) or is focused towards families (b/c we have lots of military members with spouses and kids here).

Jobs are very difficult to come by as previous posters have stated b/c you will be competing with literally thousands of military wives and, at age 18, you will be competing with the older teen and young adult children of our Marines as well. But there are jobs in retail and food service and child care. You can set yourself apart by being outgoing, friendly, reliable and diligent - it will go a long way in both your job searc and establishing a reputation for yourself.

If you venture further afeild out to Swansboro, Richlands (west - farmlands), down to Sneads Ferry and Topsail Island and even down to Wilmington, there is always something to do - but you have to look for it and remember that this is not, at all, like Aurora or Chicago. And it never will be. Things move a little slower here. Things are a little smaller here. It's not very exciting, but it can be a really great place to live. And our beaches are waaaaay better than sitting on the shore of Lake Michigan!

Your boyfriend should check out the Single Marine Program at MCAS New River. While it is called the Single Marine Program, it is really a social and recreational program for enlisted personnel under age 25. That said, anyone can participate - even married personnel and their spouses. Some of the trips and activities, your boyfriend will be allowed to sponsor you to participate with him as his guest. They do all sorts of cool things from monthly pizza and bowling to movies to bus trips to Myrtle Beach and Washington, DC, etc. You won't be eligible, as a girlfriend, for everything, but certainly there will be plenty you can do, too.

I would be cautious moving out here and maybe make sure that you have a plan if things don't work out. Not neccessarily about the boyfriend, but if you can't find a job in a certain time frame, etc. Will you have enough savings to live on for a couple of months? Will you have money to get back home if you need to? I am guessing if you are 18 and have been dating your boyfriend for 3 years, he is not any older than 21? Is he a LCpl or a Cpl? Has be been approved to live off base by his Command and has he been approved for BAH (basic allowance for housing...money the USMC gives him to help pay for an apartment if he is not living in the barracks)?

Good for you for even bothering to do some research before you come out here. I think alot of folks who read and respond to messages like yours get a little weary b/c you are not the first young lady to follow her Marine out here and so many times it does not work out well. As I said before, this is not an easy place for someone your age to live and work and thrive. You mentioned starting school here. Have you checked out the in-state tuition policy? I think you will have to live here a year and prove "residency" before you can get in-state tuition. Be sure to check that out, too or college can be pretty expensive.

Just keep an open mind when you are looking around at the different communities here. Remember that they came from more humble and less affluent beginnings than much of the Chicago area. Every place has it's pro's and con's and you just have to be sure to look for the positive.

Best of luck to you!

P.S. I would hope that the poster who was "lmao" about the New Havelock mistake was not actually laughing at *you*. It's just sort of funny b/c Havelock is pretty old and from what is seen just from the highway, it is pretty run down. So saying "New" Havelock is just sort of funny 0 b/c there is not much that is new about it! We all make those mistakes though!

Last edited by ANonyMs; 01-24-2012 at 05:31 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 57,895 times
Thank you ANonyMs! That was definitely a helpful answer !

My boyfriend will turn 20 in a few months and he is currently a Lcpl. I did see that out of state intuition was much much more expensive than instate, so i'm not so sure what i'll do about that, I may wait a year just because I really don't know what I want to do yet anyways..

He said his command does not let Marines live off base unless married. So if I do go, we'll most likely get married, in a courthouse, keep it a secret and then have an actual wedding a few months later after we save money together..

Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
Thank you ANonyMs! That was definitely a helpful answer !

My boyfriend will turn 20 in a few months and he is currently a Lcpl. I did see that out of state intuition was much much more expensive than instate, so i'm not so sure what i'll do about that, I may wait a year just because I really don't know what I want to do yet anyways..

He said his command does not let Marines live off base unless married. So if I do go, we'll most likely get married, in a courthouse, keep it a secret and then have an actual wedding a few months later after we save money together..
If you do wait a year to get residency, make sure you do things like get your license, register your car, and have proof that you've been in NC for a year. Just living here isn't enough for school.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 PM

31 posts, read 98,489 times
Quote:
If you do wait a year to get residency, make sure you do things like get your license, register your car, and have proof that you've been in NC for a year. Just living here isn't enough for school.
I second that! NC is stricter than most states for residency and they actually do ticket people who don't get their drivers licenses changed over, vehicle tags changed, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina