U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 PM
 
6 posts, read 57,886 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

My boyfriend of 3 years is in the Marines stationed at New River, and we're planning on having me move in with him. I'll be 18 with NO job experience, and will want a part time job because i'm planning on going to the community college there. I'm asking this because where i live, an hour away from chicago, it is extremely hard to find a job.

And also, is Jacksonville nice? I've been to New Bern and New Havelock before, and i didn't particularly like how they looked, and there wasn't much to do.. I just saw it as plain, and kind of.. dull. Definitely didn't look like the towns here near Chicago/Aurora.
Is there much to do in Jacksonville?

I'm excited about the weather though, .
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2012, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
431 posts, read 1,011,430 times
Reputation: 143
Honestly, no. Finding a job isn't easy. There's a mall in Jacksonville, but I've never been to it. I'd suggest apply for every retail and possibly restaurant job you can.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Reputation: 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
And also, is Jacksonville nice? I've been to New Bern and New Havelock before, and i didn't particularly like how they looked, and there wasn't much to do.. I just saw it as plain, and kind of.. dull.
Jacksonville is bigger than New Bern, but not any more exciting. It has strip malls and movies, summer concerts and community theater. Camp Lejeune also has a lots of activities for families.

As the PP said, jobs may be difficult. There are many wives competing for the same jobs. However, you could make a living with baby-sitting and dog-walking. Also in the summer there would be housekeeping work in the beach communities on the weekends when the houses are re-rented.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 AM
 
2 posts, read 21,924 times
Reputation: 10
Lifelong city resident. Growing city. Entertainment is limited, basically 16 screen movie theatre with another 12 screen to be completed in the next 18 months, numerous bars, not necessarily nightclubs. There are nice summer concerts downtown with community theatre as well. Decent park inside city limits, nice one also at Onslow Pines park. Numerous community clubs and such. In regards to jobs, tight market for reasons noted above although there are several new large restuarant chains coming to area with existing ones expanding. Large call center located in city (Convergys) and they have a decent turnover so openings occur. Bet you will like beach area so you may look for seasonal work in Swansboro, Emerald Isle (Bogue Banks), Sneads Ferry and Topsail Beach during the summer all within a 30 mile radius. Definitely not Chicago, Atlanta, Wash DC, Richmond, Charlotte or even Raleigh although you might want to run south to Wilmington (50 miles) for a typical young kids night out with partying and such. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
 
5 posts, read 26,043 times
Reputation: 35
Go ahead and strip away everything you think about what an area should be like, otherwise you are going to be miserable in Eastern NC. Marines and their wives who move here from other parts of the country, PARTICULARLY if they're from metropolitan areas, have an extremely difficult time dealing with living here. It's going to be a culture shock and it would be very wise of you to go ahead and adjust your attitude now before you get to NC. I was brought here (not Jacksonville, but Eastern NC) as a child (via a dad in the military) and have spent most of my life here, so I love it and see its beauty and charm. If you can break out of the typical military girlfriend/wife mindset and get in touch with the area, you'll find southern charm and hospitality right around the corner. Find comfort in southern accents, summer evenings, country music, sweet tea, and even the mosquitoes. If you can't, you'll sit around all day with a bunch of other 18-21 year old girls married to Marines who complain incessantly and resort to spreading pathetic gossip about each other.

Get ready to apply at every restaurant and every store to be either a server or a cashier. Get ready to make your own fun and not rely on the entertainment opportunities afforded to those living in city or true suburban areas. Really, Jacksonville is just a developed rural area with an overwhelming population of military personnel. You will have restaurants, a mall, and a fairly new 16-screen movie theater. Plan BBQs, beach days, and weekend trips to quench your entertainment thirst. Working and going to school should keep you very busy, so you shouldn't have a surplus of free time to worry about your entertainment needs though, right?

Coming to the designated Coastal NC forum and saying you don't "like how it looks" is really kind of disrespectful. Keeping an open mind will make you happier and win you more friends than coming to a new place and badmouthing it because it isn't your "home." Jacksonville in particular is riddled with young people (lots of males) aged 18-24 serving in the Marine Corps. Military towns cater to them by offering many strip clubs, run down bars, barber shops, used car dealerships, fast food places and restaurants. Learn to explore beyond Hwy 24 and Western Blvd. Check out Wilmington, drive up and down the coast, hit the Outer Banks (lighthouses). Living on the water gives you regular access to water-based activities: beach-going, boating, fishing, diving, kayaking, and even kite surfing. Sit out on the beach at Bogue Inlet Pier in Emerald Isle on an October evening at sunset and tell me you still "don't like how it looks."

My last comment, though, is this: moving several states away at 18 years old to be near a Marine boyfriend? Think long and hard about that one. PLEASE, SERIOUSLY, think long and hard about that one. (This coming from a Marine brat and wife...I know plenty about this culture and lifestyle...and believe it or not I'm not as old as you probably imagine I am).

P.S. There's no "New" Havelock here. Just regular old Havelock. lmao

Last edited by RaisedCarolina; 01-16-2012 at 11:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 PM
 
6 posts, read 57,886 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedCarolina View Post
Go ahead and strip away everything you think about what an area should be like, otherwise you are going to be miserable in Eastern NC. Marines and their wives who move here from other parts of the country, PARTICULARLY if they're from metropolitan areas, have an extremely difficult time dealing with living here. It's going to be a culture shock and it would be very wise of you to go ahead and adjust your attitude now before you get to NC. I was brought here (not Jacksonville, but Eastern NC) as a child (via a dad in the military) and have spent most of my life here, so I love it and see its beauty and charm. If you can break out of the typical military girlfriend/wife mindset and get in touch with the area, you'll find southern charm and hospitality right around the corner. Find comfort in southern accents, summer evenings, country music, sweet tea, and even the mosquitoes. If you can't, you'll sit around all day with a bunch of other 18-21 year old girls married to Marines who complain incessantly and resort to spreading pathetic gossip about each other.

Get ready to apply at every restaurant and every store to be either a server or a cashier. Get ready to make your own fun and not rely on the entertainment opportunities afforded to those living in city or true suburban areas. Really, Jacksonville is just a developed rural area with an overwhelming population of military personnel. You will have restaurants, a mall, and a fairly new 16-screen movie theater. Plan BBQs, beach days, and weekend trips to quench your entertainment thirst. Working and going to school should keep you very busy, so you shouldn't have a surplus of free time to worry about your entertainment needs though, right?

Coming to the designated Coastal NC forum and saying you don't "like how it looks" is really kind of disrespectful. Keeping an open mind will make you happier and win you more friends than coming to a new place and badmouthing it because it isn't your "home." Jacksonville in particular is riddled with young people (lots of males) aged 18-24 serving in the Marine Corps. Military towns cater to them by offering many strip clubs, run down bars, barber shops, used car dealerships, fast food places and restaurants. Learn to explore beyond Hwy 24 and Western Blvd. Check out Wilmington, drive up and down the coast, hit the Outer Banks (lighthouses). Living on the water gives you regular access to water-based activities: beach-going, boating, fishing, diving, kayaking, and even kite surfing. Sit out on the beach at Bogue Inlet Pier in Emerald Isle on an October evening at sunset and tell me you still "don't like how it looks."

My last comment, though, is this: moving several states away at 18 years old to be near a Marine boyfriend? Think long and hard about that one. PLEASE, SERIOUSLY, think long and hard about that one. (This coming from a Marine brat and wife...I know plenty about this culture and lifestyle...and believe it or not I'm not as old as you probably imagine I am).

P.S. There's no "New" Havelock here. Just regular old Havelock. lmao
I've thought "long and hard" about moving away and getting the hell away from my alcoholic father to stay with my boyfriend who actually motivates me to keep living and to be successful.
Your last statement was rude. Was the "lmao" needed? No.
When I write Havelock, for some reason I think of New Haven and that is just what my fingers type a ..combination of..i guess is what i would call it ?

Offended by how I said "I don't like how it looks" ? Don't care.
Again, Havelock, was in my mind just ugly. The only part I saw of it was everything on a big highway. I went to Atlantic City? Atlantic Beach? I don't know. But that was nicer looking. Did I ever say the ocean was ugly? Uh No? When I went to NC a few months ago that was the first time I ever even saw the ocean, and it was beautiful.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
Reputation: 11278
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
Offended by how I said "I don't like how it looks" ? Don't care.
Funny how you call his statement rude, and then say this. Y'all both need to call a truce.

Quote:
Again, Havelock, was in my mind just ugly. The only part I saw of it was everything on a big highway. I went to Atlantic City? Atlantic Beach? I don't know. But that was nicer looking. Did I ever say the ocean was ugly? Uh No? When I went to NC a few months ago that was the first time I ever even saw the ocean, and it was beautiful.
Havelock is ugly, and I'm a lifelong NC resident who spent every summer in Atlantic Beach growing up. But that's the nature of a "military town". It wouldn't matter where your boyfriend was stationed, the town is not going to be pretty. I think Havelock, and Jacksonville, are the ugliest places in NC.

While you didn't ask what kind of job you were looking for, it's true that your experience (or lack thereof) is not exactly going to put you at the front of the pack. Every other military wife who wants to work will have applied at the same places you have. You might need to look farther, like Swansboro (which is a pretty town, BTW), Morehead City (not "pretty but not ugly--just an old seaside town) or the beach. They are very touristy areas, so jobs will be much more plentiful starting about May than right now, but that's fine, because you should acclimate yourself to the area first anyway.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Morehead City, NC
1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
Reputation: 1244
Assessment of any town USA from a major 5 lane highway will inevitably create a false and/or bad impression. Havelock and Jacksonville are such towns. But put the left or right blinker on and escape the major thoroughfare and you’ll discover some great country, plenty of wildlife, beautiful waterways and wonderful (affordable) homes.
Beaufort also comes to mind. Viewing it from HWY 70 you might be afraid to stop and get out of your car. (Although it has improved in recent years). But all the while you’re driving parallel to the beautiful historic district and the world renowned Beaufort waterfront.
Can you imagine making judgment of all the New England towns from I-95? Same thing here with HWY’s 24 and 70.
Use your blinker and explore.
God Bless!
Bill
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 AM
 
6 posts, read 57,886 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Funny how you call his statement rude, and then say this. Y'all both need to call a truce.



Havelock is ugly, and I'm a lifelong NC resident who spent every summer in Atlantic Beach growing up. But that's the nature of a "military town". It wouldn't matter where your boyfriend was stationed, the town is not going to be pretty. I think Havelock, and Jacksonville, are the ugliest places in NC.

While you didn't ask what kind of job you were looking for, it's true that your experience (or lack thereof) is not exactly going to put you at the front of the pack. Every other military wife who wants to work will have applied at the same places you have. You might need to look farther, like Swansboro (which is a pretty town, BTW), Morehead City (not "pretty but not ugly--just an old seaside town) or the beach. They are very touristy areas, so jobs will be much more plentiful starting about May than right now, but that's fine, because you should acclimate yourself to the area first anyway.

Well i'll be rude to someone who I find to be rude to me.

I am just going to look for jobs in retail and restaurants, anything that will pay the bills. I've seen a lot of people talk about Swansboro on these boards, how far is that from Jacksonville?
Looking at pictures of Swansboro on google, it does look like a very pretty town
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Reputation: 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
Looking at pictures of Swansboro on google, it does look like a very pretty town
It's the second town away from Jax, down 24. It is a nice touristy place with good restaurants. BTW, good manners towards people will help you get along in the south, and help you maintain a restaurant or retail job.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-21-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top