U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM

8 posts, read 30,814 times

Advertisements

I am from a small town in Northern Minnesota. North Carolina has always interested me (read too many Nicholas Sparks novels, perhaps?) and as of late, my mother and I have been considering moving to Wilmington. I've been looking into jobs online and apartments and kind of the way of life in North Carolina. I come from a very conservative part of the country where small-town values matter and you say hello and please and thank you and I would like to keep that as part of my life...but I really would like to move somewhere warmer, near the ocean, and with something pretty to look at. So North Carolina seems like a perfect choice for me. But I have heard that "outsiders" aren't very well accepted in the south? I'm a 21 year old white female with a good work ethic, friendly, my mother raised me to be very respectful so I am wondering how I would do there?

Also, I have a job up here in Minnesota working with adults with developmental disabilities and I absolutely love it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I could maybe get into the same kind of work in Wilmington or around Wilmington? I guess I am not stuck on Wilmington, I would just like to be close to the water. Other cities are still an option.

Also, how hard is it to get an apartment? Does anyone have any rental places that they would recommend?

I am thinking of making this move within the next few months and I am obviously rather nervous on living in another part of the country and I guess I am just looking for some advice. Any insight would be much, much appreciated.

Britt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM

181 posts, read 613,699 times
We use to live in Wilmington but moved out because of the uncontrolled growth. Too many people moving in/too much construction allowed for the infrastructure to handle.

Don't get me wrong.............it's a neat place to live. You just have to be willing to put up with the congestion.

You can forget the "please and thank you" but you will get use to it...at least we did. I guess it's caused by the huge diversity of people.

Can't see why apartments would be a big issue to find. They are very plentiful in the area. Just be careful of places where college students (University of NC Wilmington, UNCW) rent. Unless you love to party.

Don't worry about not being accepted. From what you write you know how to be nice/friendly to people. Don't try to change the way people in the south do things. Embrace their ways (not always good but it's their choice) because you wanted to move there.

You should go spend a week, or two, and then make up you mind about moving.

Best of luck..............

Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 AM

70 posts, read 161,858 times
Britt,
i've lived in Wilmington for over 30 years. I think you will have no problem fitting in down in Wilmington. Check out our Wilmington paper online-starnewsonline and our local tv station websites wect and wway. Everytime I have researched an apartment for one of my daughters I have checked the apartment ratings and reviews online.We also have the wilmingtonmls online that would show you rentals.
I think you should be able to find a job working in your field but you can also look at jobs on the NCESC(North Carolina Employment Security Commission) website. Just know as cold as it gets in Minnesota it is that extreme in summer with the heat here. We have a boat and air conditioning in our cars so we survive it :-)

Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Thank you guys so, so much

As for the cold, if I never saw another snowflake again, that would be just fine. I can handle the heat... I am just dreadfully tired of the cold. I can handle heat, considering I am someone who is cold 98% of the time.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 11,150 times
Hi, Britt. I have lived in Wilmington since 1996. Moved here from Pennsylvania and will never leave. We love it here. We have had two children since we moved here and settled in for the long haul. It is a small southern town with lots to do -- very family oriented. You will love it!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM

Okay and the other question that I had was my line of work - working with developmentally disabled adults. Is there a company that I should try to get hooked up with? Group homes for developmentally disabled people? Day programs?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 AM

31 posts, read 98,514 times
I can't speak to the job aspect of your question, but I think if you do some research, start Googling combinations of terms related to your job and "Wilmington" you will find some places to look.

I just wanted to address the "acceptance" part of your original question.

Wilmington, and any "old" city in the South, may be difficult to break in to if you are in the elite, monied set. But for the average person, Wilmington is a very easy and accepting city b/c a significant portion of the population have all migrated here from somewhere else anyway!

Like any "city", there is traffic and not everyone smiles and says hello, etc. But you WILL get more of thosse pleasantries here than you will in other places in the country. We have lived all over from Seattle to Boston to San Diego to DC and we find this area to be the friendliest. The further you go outside of the city, the friendlier it gets, but it also gets more "your not from around here, are ya?" You just learn to go with it!

Your job feild should be good to go here but I would caution you that at age 21, you will be competing for jobs with recent grads from our UNCW university. Just something to keep in mind moving to a college town.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 13,718 times
I think you can forget the "please and thank you" comments when dealing with some of the party hard spoiled waster college kids... but anyone from rural North Carolina that is living in Wilmington will most likely treat you with the utmost courtesy. My friend from California flew out to visit when I lived there and he couldn't get over people holding doors for you and random strangers saying hello... of course he was coming from California so that would probably be a big shock to him anyways.

29, lived in North Carolina all my life (lived extended periods in Raleigh, Boone, Asheville, Wilmington, Buies Creek/Angier/HarnettCounty/JohnstonCounty) I would be glad to answer any questions that anyone might have about any of these areas, or North Carolina in general.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-21-2012 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 PM

30 posts, read 74,656 times
Thing I love about Wilmington is how well everybody mixes and gets along. There's a great live-and-let-live vibe in this city. There isn't any more resentment than the token bit you get from any place when the population swells a lot in a short period of time. Anybody is welcome down here if you don't disrespect the area or its people. Northerners too. Outsiders are welcome to become insiders, but nobody likes hearing "Well, in _________ we do it better" or any "dumb Southerner" comments. Go try telling "dumb Chinese" jokes in Shanghai; you'll get the same reaction.

Opposite of RSMTN, I hear please and thank you quite a lot. Average manners are great; people will wave you into traffic (more so in the off-season when the tourists aren't clogging up the roads), strike up a conversation in line at the register, and strangers will say bless you when you sneeze. You sound very nice and I think you'll get along down here. I can't imagine anyone giving you a hard time. Might even become an "adopted Southerner."

Old 07-23-2012, 06:21 AM

48 posts, read 90,336 times
In terms of acceptance...much of the population here is from the northeast--people who chose to be here for retirement or quality of life variables. They and the locals seem to have harmony. I see no hints of anything less than acceptance in Wilmington. It's a diverse community--not so much with ethnicities--but other variables: retirees, surfer/beach people, seasonal tourists depending on what city along the coast, locals, very rural southerners.

I agree with DuncanWebGroup that courtesy and pleasantry are very high here so I've literally had to adapt and change my behavior here compared to a more aggressive DC metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina