U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 PM

475 posts, read 753,526 times

Advertisements

I am just beginning my research. I would like to stay within a half hour of the coast. I don't need a great beach area just a place to walk along the ocean. I am looking for a safe area with stores like walmart,lowes,and a shopping mall. Good medical care will likly be important in the future. I am 51 and retired but work part time. I figure friendly people and good weather are mostly a given in NC. I would rent a condo or house in the $900 range. A college of any size would be a plus. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,895,889 times
Washington, New Bern, Jacksonville get my vote. Probably in that order.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 AM

Okay thanks! I'll check them out.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
New Bern is about 45 minutes, but has good medical. I'd vote for Newport. Between MHC and New Bern..... closer to coast, 25 - 30 mknutes from New Bern. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 AM

196 posts, read 499,915 times
As far as colleges/universities there is the obvious UNC Wilmington. Cape Fear Community College has several campuses with another brick and mortar campus to be built in Surf City.

Sneads Ferry/Holly Ridge/Hampstead are between Wilmington and Jacksonville. All within 15 to 30 minutes (or less) of Topsail Island. Recently opened Lowes and Harris Teeter off of Route 17.

At the $900/month range you may find that you can buy a house or condo too. There are some new build or newer homes and townhouses on the market for under $140k.

Last edited by wrestlingterp; 01-22-2012 at 08:52 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Good medical care will likly be important in the future.
Wilmington has the best medical care, and Hampstead is OK. Further up the Coast, there are not enough people to support much medical care other than family or emergency clinics. In Sneads Ferry, we are still looking for a good Internal Medicine doctor. Jacksonville is OK, but the doctors are geared to the younger population. I can't comment on medical care in other areas.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 PM

155 posts, read 201,983 times
Is there a coastal retirement town that is not on the water, but within an hour, where there are more things for retirees, yet not costing too much? I like the Idea of being accessible to the train that goes north to east coast.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM

155 posts, read 201,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
I am just beginning my research. I would like to stay within a half hour of the coast. I don't need a great beach area just a place to walk along the ocean. I am looking for a safe area with stores like walmart,lowes,and a shopping mall. Good medical care will likly be important in the future. I am 51 and retired but work part time. I figure friendly people and good weather are mostly a given in NC. I would rent a condo or house in the $900 range. A college of any size would be a plus. Thanks for any advice.
have u had any luck with your search of towns? if so, let me know

Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
Is there a coastal retirement town that is not on the water, but within an hour, where there are more things for retirees, yet not costing too much? I like the Idea of being accessible to the train that goes north to east coast.
I remember that "Where to Retire" Magazine did an article on Greenville. Of course the people they interviewed loved it. Greenville has excellent medical facilities but it is known more as a college town. We looked around there a bit, but I found the property taxes within Greenville were pretty high. New Bern has low property taxes outside the city limits, and we liked River Bend and Trent Woods.

However, you are right that the north-bound train stopping in Wilson is an attraction. Wilson seems like a sleepy town with not much going on. So, I don't have the perfect place to recommend either.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
have u had any luck with your search of towns? if so, let me know
I have scratched a few off the list(temporally) and looked closer at New Bern. Due to the threat of hurricane I am also looking into towns near large rivers or the bay ,Greenville for instance as the poster above mentioned. I will also check out the Places to Retire book mentioned by poster. I am retired but have two college age kids that,based on the economy will likely be with me for some time. I have to look at areas that would provide opportunities for them it they want to continue to 'hang with dad'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina