U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,657,342 times

Advertisements

This bill needs to pass and I hope it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
DMF red flags bill
CARTERET NEWS-TIMES
Published: Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:05 AM EST

By: MIKE SHUTAK

MOREHEAD CITY — The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries is opposed to the state Legislature’s proposed gamefish bill, a stance it shares with many commercial fishermen.

DMF Director Dr. Louis Daniel affirmed the division’s position on the proposed gamefish bill – House Bill 353 – at the N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission meeting Wednesday at the Crystal Coast Civic Center.

The N.C. General Assembly is currently studying this bill. If passed it will make red drum, spotted seatrout and striped bass gamefish. This means that commercial fishermen won’t be allowed to harvest them; only recreational fishermen will be allowed to do that.

Dr. Daniel said the DMF thinks the gamefish bill is out of compliance with the N.C. Fisheries Reform Act of 1997, the governing rule for the DMF that directs it to protect, restore and enhance fisheries habitats.

Carteret County News-Times > News-times > News > DMF red flags bill

Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,657,342 times
Commercial fishing has stepped over the line once too often. There is no reason that Striped Bass should not be a game fish as it is in other states.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM

House Bill 353 the Game Fish Status Bill is currently being studied in Raleigh. This is bad piece of legislation that runs counter to the expressed goals of the state of North Carolina. It would not improve or enhance the resource. This bill would ban almost every North Carolina citizen access to a public trust resource and create financial hardship for our coastal towns and communities.

Game Fish Status is a Fish Ban | Bill Hitchcock Homesite (http://www.billhitchcock.org/game-fish-status-is-a-fish-ban/ - broken link)

Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM

North Carolina Representative Darrell McCormick, R-Yadkin, evidently the most strident CCA voice in the assembly, heads a Marine Fisheries study committee. His trashing of the North Carolina seafood industry follows the same political plan CCA used in Florida and other states.
Read the entire story at Saltwater Catch
Representative Darrell McCormick-"The most strident CCA voice"

Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM
WSG

2 posts, read 1,843 times
I'm a recreational fisherman and I support this bill. To say recreational fishermen don't support this bill is ignorant. If this bill is such a bad idea then why is it that Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Alabama and South Carolina are benefiting tremendously from protecting their inshore fish? Their coastal economies have absolutely benefited a great deal from recreational and tournament anglers traveling from all over north America to fish their waters.
While there they spend money on restaurants, lodging, licenses, fuel, guides and gear. These states have proven that it should be done for conservation and economic benefits.
The commercial faction has abused these three species for far too long and conservation is not in their vocabulary. This bill does not put them out of work as many are made to believe. Louisiana has gamefish status and a strong commercial fishery.
Angling friends of mine, and myself included, take two trips every year to Louisiana and Florida because we know the fishing there is so much better their than in NC and that's because of the gamefish status. Why would I want to spend my money to go down to the coast, find fish only to have gill netters come in the next day and clean the creek out? It has happened and continues to happen.
I will do all i can to help push this bill to a vote and many of my fellow rec anglers feel the same way.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
WSG

2 posts, read 1,843 times
Hitchcock, saying that rec anglers catch 65 to 80% of these three species is one of the commercial industries favorite statistics and it is misleading to say the least. Why do I not see redfish, trout and striped bass on any coastal restaurant menus? Because these fish are sold to out of state retailers. Go down to Texas and you will see redfish dishes on menus and where do those fish come from? One of two places: fish farms or the North Carolina coast.
Our state fish is being used to subsidize other states seafood consumption.
Recreational anglers do not aim to protect these fish so they have more fish to play with. They aim to protect them so future generations can know what a redfish or trout or striped bass looks like. If you believe that a great fishing destination doesn't boost the economy in that area you blind to the success elsewhere.
The economic benefits are proven. That is what scares the commercial side so much. Other states have set the blueprint and it has been a huge success.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 PM

According to "A Business and Economic Profile of Seafood Dealers in North Carolia" a research prepared for the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries, and I quote: "72% of their seafood is sold to North Carolina Buyers".
Availability is a big issue. A Seafood Market will sell every single trout, drum it can get its hands on. problem is that due to ever increasing regulations the amount of fish the commercial fishing families are allowed to catch is constantly being diminished.
For example speckled trout-Currently a commercial fishermen is limited to 75 a day. In the year 2014 the limit will be 25. Seafood markets sell every one of them they can get.
By the way-What's wrong with selling fish out of state? Applying the same logic North Carolina should ban every out of state recreational fisherman.
But the issue is a public trust resource. The lobbying group CCA being lead by Representative Darrel McCormick want to take away a public trust resource (That means available to all) and allocate these fish strictly to a very small user group. The very small user group of ardent anglers who can afford to come to the coast and catch these fish themselves. That's right-The gamefish status fish ban would ban every citizen access to these fish unless you came to the coast yourself and caught it yourself.

Some tid bit info on the economic importance of seafood in the US.
U.S. per-capita seafood consumption totaled 15.8 pounds last year, according to figures released by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Fisheries Service on Thursday. That’s down from 16 pounds in 2008 and 2009 and the lowest amount since 2002’s 15.6 pounds.

However, Americans are spending more on fish. According to NOAA’s Fisheries of the United States 2010 report, Americans dished out USD 80.2 billion on seafood last year — USD 54 billion at foodservice and USD 25.8 billion at retail, with industrial seafood products representing USD 432 million.

Remember-The second largest festival in NC is the North Carolina Seafood festival bringing in 200,000 people to Morehead City. A city of 8,000. 192,000 tourists showing up for seafood.
Add up everyone involved in every fishing tournament in NC and I bet you'll find it doesn't draw 1/10th of the people this one seafood event does.
But-If you want to supplant fresh, locally caught seafood with foriegn imports............
Tainted seafood reaching U.S., experts say - Health - Food safety - msnbc.com

Thank you for helping to keep this thread alive.
Bill Hitchcock

Old 03-11-2012, 04:14 PM

A quick quote from today's Carteret News Times editorial on HB353:
"As a child I remember reading about Robin Hood. He became a bandit due to the king (government) controlling every fish and game in the forest and streams, and the poor folks could not partake without the king’s permission or being in a select royal group. Well, it seems to me we are approaching the same situation now when we want to limit certain species to only recreational fisherman. This is wrong. Our forefathers would turn in their graves if they could see this happening now and folks are not paying attention and are allowing their freedoms to be taken passively without resistance."

Read the complete article: Carteret County News-Times > News-times > Letters To The Editor > Unfounded explanation

Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Great News! The sponsor of HB 353 the Gamefish Status fish ban has suddenly suspended his bid for re-election! Rep.Darrel McCormick is throwing his support behind fellow Republican Mark Hollo. Guess what McCormick did NOT list as one of his accomplishments? Find out why he suddenly gave up his bid for re-election! Read all about it: Saltwater Catch-Daily Fishing Reports-Fishing Live Radio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina