U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 04:29 PM

5,367 posts, read 5,648,334 times

Advertisements

Camp Lejeune water supply contamination issue. 1957-1987.

"This is worse than any Love Canal," said Jody MacPherson, 47, referring to the New York neighborhood that became notorious in the 1970s as a toxic waste site. "This is worse than Hurricane Katrina. And nobody knows anything about it."

LINK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,823,111 times
this was all over the news back in 2007, and has been in the new sporadically before and since then.

If it's not "known" I believe it has more to do with apathy towards troops than any type of coverup or lack of media coverage. It's been reported, but do people care?

Toxins, cancer link probed at Marines' base - CNN

The article you post is from 2009 but this issu ewas back in the news as recently as four days ago:
Camp Lejeune Water Contamination: Watchdog Groups Slam U.S. Navy Over New Report

Congress and Camp Lejeune's water - Other Views - NewsObserver.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=camp...w=1360&bih=583

N.C. Congress members want answers on Lejeune water report | StarNewsOnline.com

As I stated if there is lack of attention to this issue, I don't blame the media, I don't blame the politicians. It's been covered. If it hasn't generated any buzz is because the public only pays attention to military issues when their peeing on corpses and such.
There is even a documentary on the issue:
Documentary examines Camp Lejeune water issue | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Home- The Few, The Proud, The Forgotten- Camp Lejeune toxic water contamination

Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 AM

5,367 posts, read 5,648,334 times
Thanks for providing more information.

This news has just come to surface recently in the veteran community outside NC. It may have been reported but just hasn't filtered into many of the former marine/veteran wider community.

I'm trying to obtain a hard copy of the DVD documentary stated but only seems available as a download as far as I can find.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM

844 posts, read 2,677,913 times
Here's a VA Healthcare Factsheet: http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/ass...ons/FS16-9.pdf

Here's the site to register if you were stationed at LeJune: https://clnr.hqi.usmc.mil/

Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,355,464 times
Default Update: Camp Lejeune Contaminated Water

I was not aware of this situation until reading this article. I find it sad and very troubling, and as if this situation were not bad enough it is the people that are responding to the article in the comment section that just make it beyond scary. People who had lived at one time or another at Camp Lejeune and have had serious medical issues through the years (either with themselves, or other family members) and are just now putting the pieces of the puzzle together).

Men say their breast cancer was caused by contaminated water at Camp Lejeune - Rock Center with Brian Williams

Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM

49 posts, read 45,532 times
Apparently the contaminated water surrounding Jacksonville and Camp Lejeune has been known about for some time, although little has been or can be done about it.

Camp Lejeune is currently designated a superfund by the EPA due to contaminated ground water and other reasons. See:
Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune NPL Site Summary | Region 4 | US EPA

According to a friend's wife who works with several of the hospitals in the area, a higher percentage of birth defects occur in newborns from the Jax/Lejeune area, which is believed to be due to water sources contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOC's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina