Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:11 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie1996 View Post
Just wondering how welcome us Northerners are to the locals. Read a few things that piqued my curiosity.
I am from Massachusetts, and I have had no problem in the 2 years I have been in Sneads Ferry. However you have to understand the differences between the communities like Leland where a majority are transplants from the north, and places out in the country like Elizabethtown and Watha where most people were born there. You will be fine if you respect the local culture.

FWIW, I haven't seen many Confederate flags flying, but people take their gun rights seriously. Many people attend church, but they won't criticize you if you don't participate.

Do you have specific questions? Are you thinking of moving to a specific town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM

79 posts, read 318,468 times
Check out Hyde and Tyrrell Counties.Mainland Dare is also a possibility around Stumpy point or Engelhard,which is about an hour from the beach.I feel confident that you can find a 5-10 acre buildable parcel in that price range.These areas are very remote,out in the middle of nowhere,but paradise to many who choose to live there.

There's also a shooting range just north of Stumpy Point.If you have a boat,there's great fishing,especially around Engelhard and Stumpy Point,or just hop in the car and drive to the Outer Banks.Good luck!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Weyerhauser owns a lot of the land in ENC and routinely develops some of it. Cypress Landing near Washington is a Weyerhauser community. I know they were selling large lots in Western Hyde Co a few years back because they had to get a zoning classification change in order to do it. Believe they were making 17 acre subdivisions where you could hunt on your own property. There are some issues with public water/perking for septic tanks and such in areas like these. Here's their website which may point you in the direction you want...

Weyerhaeuser Outdoor Recreational Leases

Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
The more I have thought about this post, the more I think western Pender County may be the answer. The area west of Burgaw, around Atkinson and near the Black River is still very remote, but still not far from the coast. It may be an ideal place to buy up some land and build a place in the woods....even going across the Black River may work, I believe there is still a small ferry that crosses the Black River. There is also some Historic sites in this area from war battlegrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina