Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:15 AM

196 posts, read 575,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
Just as a note of interest, there is a part of Topsail Island that was one of the earliest places in North Carolina where African-Americans could buy oceanfront property. It's just north of Surf City, it used to be called Ocean City. I often attend church there in the summer at the Chestnut Chapel. There's a very nice group of families still in the area, many are children of original owners.
Ocean City is likely the first ocean front area that allowed African Americans to own property. A recent article mentioned that the North Topsail Beach Board of Aldermen recently voted to erect markers to commemorate that area. Ocean City founder honored at jazz show | StarNewsOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
And James City, between New Bern and Havelock, was the first city founded by blacks.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Why do u want to live in such proximity to areas that u think are racists?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,093 times
Funny, I grew up in Aurora, Co. Now living in GA and thinking about relocating to the Wilmington area. I'm also in an interracial relationship with 2 mixed kids and I had the same question. After living in GA coming fromthe Denver Co area, there is a huge difference in race relationsthat people raised in the south don't realize. Its not as bad in larger more diverse areas, like Atlanta. But I absolutely hated the smaller city I lived in. The ignorance comes from both whites and blacks,from my experience. In some areas there isn't much population of any other races and is still rather segregated, compared to what I'm accustomed to. So my question was similar. Also, how is the quality of education. I guess our questions would best be answered by someone who was raised in a similar environment and then relocated. The south, in general, is different. It's easy to say why would you care but its muc more pleasant to live amongst people with similar attitudes, standards and acceptance of diversity. A lot of the south has different views on these things. I was in Kure beach and I loved it. I walked around downtown Wilmington and it appeared fairly diverse. Nobody looked at me and my mixed kids crazy, that I'm aware of but I don't look around expecting people to. People aren't usually that direct anyway. People in the south are usually very friendly. That's one thing I love. But they may still have deep rooted prejudice and ignorance toward people. Some areas have more than others.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
"My husband is African-American and our son is bi-racial, so we would prefer not to live with a bunch of bigots! We are both familiar with the south and love it, despite the occasional racism you run into. Coming from liberal Colorado though, it is nice to live amongst those who are like-minded."

If you asked a licensed real real estate broker that question and they answered it in any other way than, "No comment" or "I can't respond to that" would give grounds for having their license revoked.
Interesting is that we had that discussion with our realtor and she factored it into locations for us to relocate to. Because of personal history she was very aware of what it was about and had factored it into her thinking from the beginning. It is a primary concern for a lot of folks transplanting here of all races.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,537 times
TuborgP-Feel free to examine North Carolina General Statutes § 41A-4 about this. But any real estate broker that leads and/or steers a client on the basis of race,creed,color, familia status, etc is asking for trouble. Besides saying your biracial in North Carolina just means that you race cars AND trucks!

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 05-27-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina