Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 15,646 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking to buy a house in the North Carolina coastal area, preferably near a beach but also an area with some land. I was looking into Edenton, but didn't hear great things. My husband is African-American and our son is bi-racial, so we would prefer not to live with a bunch of bigots! We are both familiar with the south and love it, despite the occasional racism you run into. Coming from liberal Colorado though, it is nice to live amongst those who are like-minded. We also work in the medical field, so hopefully we won't have any issues finding work.

Any suggestions? We could really use your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelivin View Post
We also work in the medical field, so hopefully we won't have any issues finding work.

I'd suggest looking around Jacksonville, NC, ranging from Holly Ridge on the south up through Morehead City on the north and inland to Havelock. Non-waterfront homes are reasonably priced, and you can find some with a couple of acres. With a transient military population, there are few bigots. All of the beaches have public access and are not too crowded.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:31 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Though I find much of the original post quite offensive, the New Bern area would be about right.

45 minutes from the coast, pretty fair hospital in new bern, and with a lot of mixed racial families (of various flavors) in the Marine Corps at both Cherry Point and Camp Lejuene most folks wont bat at eye. At either you or your husband or you kid. And if someone does, why would you care...they would just be showing that they are a fool.

You also would be about an hour from the massive teaching hospital and facilities at Greenville.

I estimate that of 80 students I teach, 8 - 10 are mixed race. But I really don't keep track.

IMHO, your reverse racism is the worst kind. Please lose it before moving to NC.

Still, good luck.

lln

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM

I'm sorry to offend you, but I truly do not understand how I could have! I choose not to be around people who are intolerant of different races or lifestyles than their own and would prefer not to raise my son in that kind of environment. Of course I care! I don't mind "the looks," but I do mind outward racism or issues he would face in school. In terms of Edenton, I have nothing good or bad to say about it, but read negative things about crime and lack of things to do in the area.
That said, I really appreciate your insight. It sounds like you are a teacher, so I am glad you were able to give us your thoughts. Thank you!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I think what was offensive, OP, was the insinuation that those attitudes would be found here and that you look at the south as this place that is still fighting the civil war or living 50 years in the past. As much as the majority of NC flies in the face of this stereotype, the place where you are most likely to find it is in the black hole of NE NC. Focus your search from Craven County south and you'll be fine. Specifically, Craven, Carteret, Onslow, Pender, and New Hanover. Find a job before you come, though medical is a big field in Coastal NC in the areas mentioned, it is also a popular one. Alot of HS students aspire to be Nurses, even males, which is not stereotypical. I don't know much about the area south of Wilmington to say whether that would be good or bad. You may hear people complain about a lack of work in Wilmington, but in reality it is a lack of unskilled work. Nursing may be super competitive there, but if you specialize in something you may find an easier time finding work. Contrary to popular belief, there are jobs in the east, there just aren't people qualified to fill them.

IMO, Hampstead is the best deal going on the coast right now. Convenient to Wilmington(the coast's largest city),close enough to Jacksonville (large source of employment), good schools, cheaper than Wilmington, has it's own charm. I may be looking to move there myself.

Edit:
Specific cities to look at are (from north to south) New Bern, Havelock, Newport, Morehead City, Cape Carteret, Cedar Point, Swansboro, Hampstead, and Wilmington.

I didn't include Hubert or Holly Ridge because they are rural, though very convenient to Jacksonville. I don't think your son would enjoy it as much there. I didn't include Jacksonville because if you are not military or DOD civilian you can't access the beach. The Marine Corps owns the beach there. It used to be open to the public but 9/11 changed all of that. Though that is one of the reasons Jacksonville real estate tends to be lower for purchase than most of the surrounding areas on the coast. Jacksonville also has the largest retail presence on the coast outside of Wilmington.

Last edited by macjr82; 02-08-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to offend you, but I truly do not understand how I could have!
Quote:
freelivin:
we would prefer not to live with a bunch of bigots!
Gosh, I can't imagine...

Presuming that people in a given state are going to be bigots--oh not, not offensive at ALL.

Methinks you may not be happy here, as you'd always be looking over your shoulder for the "bigots" you are so certain are all over NC.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Hi. I'm looking to buy a house in the North Carolina coastal area, preferably near a beach but also an area with some land. I was looking into Edenton, but didn't hear great things. My husband is African-American and our son is bi-racial, so we would prefer not to live with a bunch of bigots! We are both familiar with the south and love it, despite the occasional racism you run into. Coming from liberal Colorado though, it is nice to live amongst those who are like-minded. We also work in the medical field, so hopefully we won't have any issues finding work.

Gosh, I hope we're good enough for you..........

Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM

People, people, calm down. You don't know anything about me as I know nothing of you! This was not meant to offend anyone and I apologize if it sounded like I was referring to the whole south (or state of NC) as a "bunch of bigots!" I should have re-worded it, but in my defense, I am simply asking about the area and shouldn't have to walk on egg shells not to offend EVERYONE who reads this. That said, my family is from Georgia so relax! And why all the defensiveness? You must have had an encounter with someone to make you feel this way.

I traveled to the Outer Banks years ago from Boone, and on the way encountered some very scary people who strongly disliked seeing us together as a couple. Just trying to avoid those types of encounters, while also looking out for my son.

MacJR82- I REALLY appreciate your advice and most of all your maturity. I don't mind being called out on something I said that sounded inappropriate, when it's done in a respectful manner.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
We have had a gazillion threads that talk about mixed couples and are they gonna be tar and feathered. The answer is NO.

But if you are looking for someone or listening for someone to say something bad or negative, you will surely see and or hear it.

Our points is not only that we are normal people, just like you, but with the additional luxury of having a lot of marines down in this area, from all over the United States, we are a bit more cosmopolitan than you can probably imagine, hence, our short fuse on "we are biracial and will we be....."

None of us can guarantee that you will never be insulted, but I can guarantee that if you are, it will be by a person of no consequence.

C'mon down.

lln

Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM

196 posts, read 575,732 times
We're retiring to Topsail Beach in the next couple of years. We're a bi-racial couple and it never dawned on us to worry about it. But then again everyone we've met is gracious and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina