U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM

31 posts, read 88,034 times

Advertisements

Going to be visiting the area from Wilmington to Southport soon, but I have the names of many communities, many of which I have found a decent amount of info. I have a few others which I am lacking real info for-they are: Waterford of the Carolinas, Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest.
The type of info I am looking for-likes, dislikes of people who either live there or know people who do. The financial condition of each-are they "turned over" fro the develloper and do they have significant reserves to literally "weather a storm" or just carry on with routine expenses.
Any and all info is appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munster1234 View Post
I have a few others which I am lacking real info for-they are: Waterford of the Carolinas, Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest.
I have visited each of these communities. They are all attractive, and have the amenties in places. They are each a little too big and rigid for us, and the lots and houses were too small, so we never seriously investigated the financial condition.

But if you are interested in that type of community, I think they are all excellent choices. I think you would have to get any financial info from the homeowners associations.

FWIW, relatives live in Magnolia Greens. They participate in the village association which sets its budget, so I guess they are self-governing. They like living there except for some petty restrictions like the uniformity of mailboxes, limits on the kinds of trees you can plant, etc. They have become unhappy about the amount of storage space because they can't put a garden shed on the golf-front lot. But these are things you can avoid or live with, not deal-breakers.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-13-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
We are in contract to purchase a home in magnolia greens.. We looked at all 3 communities. We originally fell in love with Brunswick Forest but found that they do not negotiate at all on their asking prices. And HOA is a bit high for me. We did not like Waterfords amenities - there are quite a few well priced homes in that community though. We wound up with a model home in Magnolia and think we made the right choice. It will be a vacation home for the next 10 years then we plan to move there. We like that this neighborhood is mostly finished. Although Brunswick had us hooked initially we feared what it will look like when finished since they have much building to go. Quality of most homes we looked at there was good though.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidz854 View Post
Although Brunswick had us hooked initially we feared what it will look like when finished since they have much building to go.
Brunswick Forest will be humungous if they ever finish it. I heard unofficially that the original developer invested much money to build all the amenities first, which is good. However, there are hundred of empty lots.

Of the three communities, I would also prefer Magnolia Greens.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM

169 posts, read 518,715 times
You are overlooking St. James with $100,000,000 in finished amenities (with much more to come). We also have far fewer restrictions in place by the POA than other communities. St. James is also a town with its own government. Its POA is more than solvent, it also develops or improves amenities on its own as does the town.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM

65 posts, read 137,242 times
I just found out that you have to pay 15k to use these ammenities, plus your monthly fees

Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,047,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
You are overlooking St. James with $100,000,000 in finished amenities (with much more to come). We also have far fewer restrictions in place by the POA than other communities. St. James is also a town with its own government. Its POA is more than solvent, it also develops or improves amenities on its own as does the town.
As we have not actually visited yet, I may be incorrect - but online searches show a significantly higher price for homes in SJP than in these other communities. Is that accurate? (we will be visiting next month and looking at the Wilmington and Southport areas)

Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 AM

784 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Regarding the home prices.... I do not believe that is true.... the homes in St James, new and pre-owned, are listed at a range between the mid $200's to $1,000,000.... with very nice new single family houses in the Seaside section starting at just $280K. IF they are actually selling for more than some other communities, it may be because of the "completed" amenities, including the marina, which were not just promised but DELIVERED.... in addition, as CrimsonDregs pointed out, St James is OVERLY solvent with large cash reserves, delivering on each promise they made..... both of the aforementioned items cannot be said of MANY of the surrounding communities...... these played heavily in our decision to buy here.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,047,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach lover 2 View Post
I just found out that you have to pay 15k to use these ammenities, plus your monthly fees
Assuming you do not want to play golf, is this accurate?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM

784 posts, read 1,636,424 times
You must remember that St James is bit different from MANY of the gated communities in the area..... it really is more upscale Country Club than many of them...... as such it is "kept" nicer, IMHO. The fee structure has several options but the "fee" that was mentioned is there and part of the Country Club atmosphere that is St James.... which, unlike almost all of the other communities in the area, has not just 81 holes of golf but 4 clubhouses each with their own full service restaurant plus the marina with Tommy Thompsons restaurant.... all of which are very well attended and cost $$ to run for the members...... if one is looking for a house on a winding street and a pool and tennis court, St James ain't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina