U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 PM

11 posts, read 28,891 times

Advertisements

I am starting my new job next week with Pender County. I will be looking to buy in the area in about a year. Until then I want to decide where I want to do so at, I am really stuck between Hampstead and Leland. I want to be close to wilmington for all the many wonderful obvious reasons. I know leland is closer, but also a litter futher commute for work. Leland communities also seem to offer more aminites, good and bad..i.e. HOA prob higher there. Leland seems to have more to do than having to get to wilmington when the drive isnt nessessary. I like that hampstead boarders the ICW. I enjoy fishing! However I hear that Hampstead is up and coming as they are finally getting that infrastructure they have been needing. I really love both areas and just not sure which way I should or want to go when the time comes! Can anyone help give me some insightful info.

Thank you all!
Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,816,700 times
What amenities are you looking for? Are you at an age that kids would be in the forseeable future?

Being right on 17 between Jacksonville and Wilmington, it's not exactly in the boonies. It has everything you need for day-to-day. It has better schools than Leland. All I personally know of Leland is passing through on the way to Myrtle Beach. Not for HOAs and subdivisions, but I'd say Hampstead has a better community, in general, than Leland. Subdivisions aside.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
I would vote for Hampstead over Leland, as Hampstead has a more community feel. Leland is a bunch of separate developments with a large population of transplants. Hampstead now has better schools. One minor negative of Leland is that you would be driving into the sun morning and evening, and you have to cross a bridge to Wilmington.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 AM

149 posts, read 516,857 times
Property taxes would be lower in Leland. If you found a development you liked that had the amenities you are looking for, then the sense of community would be in that development. Most developments have a number of different clubs (sports, travel, book, cards, etc.) that residents can join if they wish. If that's not what you're looking for then Hampstead might be a better fit.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM

I would like to have a pool and walking trails/curbs basicly. Anything else to me is extra. Seems like most of the leland areas have a pool and club house, as where very few if any i have found in hampstead dont have a pool in the subdivisons. But I really like that hampstead sits on the ICW, with hopes of having boat eventually that is also a plus. Not to mention I will be in the county that I work in. I think the biggest thing I like for leland is that its so close to downtown wilimington. Im in my late 20's and signle so kids are not in the picture. Yet anyway lol How do brunswick and pender taxes compair??

Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 AM

70 posts, read 161,837 times
Default best spot

a good spot in pender county would be Scotts Hill Loop Road. It circles around and has homes in Pender and New Hanover County, has a marina where you could join the parade every week-end to put in your boat into the intracoastal waterway, and can hit the bypass to get downtown quickly. Biggest plus-you don't have to go over the bridge 2 times a day. Will check on the tax rate for you.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM

GoHeels, that is a good point...I have driven through there...Scotts hill is nice but not very big, and im not sure if I would be able to actually find a place that I could afford in there. Plus I hear its a much older crowd, not that I really care about that. But thats just hear say....

Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM

70 posts, read 161,837 times
Default homes

There are some small homes on the Pender county side that have gone for under $150,000. I know a few years ago young folks bought a couple of homes I had listed in that area. I guess with Leland and Hampstead you would want to weigh proximity to downtown Wilmington although there are other areas young people enjoy going on the week-end besides downtown. The beach areas and areas near the college are popular.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:57 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,629,511 times
my suggestion is to rent in wilmington!
get an apartment close to I 40 , Pender county is right next to
New Hanover, it is really easy to get around down here. locals
might complain about traffic but for us outsiders there really is not a whole lot.
trust me, Leland and Hampstead has nothing to do .

Hampsteadperhaps more than Leland, if you want to be near action Wilimngton is where you
have to live.

where in Pender county do you go to work? just geographically speaking.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 AM

551 posts, read 1,698,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
my suggestion is to rent in wilmington!
get an apartment close to I 40 , Pender county is right next to
New Hanover, it is really easy to get around down here. locals
might complain about traffic but for us outsiders there really is not a whole lot.
trust me, Leland and Hampstead has nothing to do .

Hampsteadperhaps more than Leland, if you want to be near action Wilimngton is where you
have to live.

where in Pender county do you go to work? just geographically speaking.
Agree with all of this -- get a feel for the area. Hampstead over Leland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina