Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:10 PM

150 posts, read 351,681 times

Advertisements

Which do you think have the best (or worst!) tv and internet in Greenville? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,099,400 times
I perfer Directv boxes over Suddenlink's. I have 2 Suddenlink boxes and both of them require a cold boot once a month. A cold boot is where you turn the box off, unplug it from the wall, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then you restart it, play around with turning it on and off a couple of times and then finally after about 15 minutes of playing around it's ready to go for another month. If you don't cold boot the boxes they start acting up in the form of non functionality, loosing the program guide, taking forever to update the program guide etc.

My experience with the Directv boxes was that they never required a cold boot. Even if the power went out or the box was unplugged you merely turn the box back on and wait a couple of minutes while it acquires the data from the satellite.

Both services are hideously expensive.

Both services have fine customer service.

If you want high speed Internet with Directv you have to find someone else to provide it.

I've never had Dish so I can't comment on that.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 AM

Thanks so much for your feedback! I have had the same experience with the Suddenlink boxes and it is driving me nuts!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 AM

327 posts, read 602,374 times
Does Greenville have AT&T U-Verse now?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,244,690 times
We just switched from Suddenlink to Direct TV 2 wks. ago. I still have my Internet with Suddenlink at a cost of $45.00/mo. I agree with Mr. Martin completely about the "cold boot" with Suddenlink it was on a monthly basis, and our monthly bill went up by a couple of cents every month. The last straw was last month when our billfor basic, extended cable and Internet was $147.43. We switched to Direct TV and couldn't believe the color quality of HD now. They have the "special" packages for 3 and 6 mos. & then we will cancel those specials. Our monthly bill for 1 yr. will be $67.00 & then it will go up to $120.00 for 3 TV's.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
The last straw was last month when our billfor basic, extended cable and Internet was $147.43. We switched to Direct TV and couldn't believe the color quality of HD now. They have the "special" packages for 3 and 6 mos. & then we will cancel those specials. Our monthly bill for 1 yr. will be $67.00 & then it will go up to $120.00 for 3 TV's.
So in the end you end up paying $165 a month with high speed Internet. That's the same thing we pay for our Suddenlink service.

The reason we went with Suddenlink was because of the number of TVs we have. We have 2 on HD boxes and 4 on regular cable. With Directv it would have cost us more than we pay now.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks, that is helpful! Why did you pick DirectTV over DISH?

Last edited by boringmember; 02-22-2012 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I perfer Directv boxes over Suddenlink's. I have 2 Suddenlink boxes and both of them require a cold boot once a month. A cold boot is where you turn the box off, unplug it from the wall, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then you restart it, play around with turning it on and off a couple of times and then finally after about 15 minutes of playing around it's ready to go for another month. If you don't cold boot the boxes they start acting up in the form of non functionality, loosing the program guide, taking forever to update the program guide etc.
Hi Richard -- my name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with your cable boxes. I would be happy to work with management in your area to resolve. Please feel free to contact me directly: ashley-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,244,690 times
Richard, I was mistaken with the totals that we will be paying in a yr. with Direct TV my husband told me that it will be around $89.00 with the taxes plus $45 for the Internet with Suddenlink.

BM, my husband said that he did not consider Dish Network because he spoke to people at work that had it and they were not happy and were considering changing to Direct TV.

We are very happy that we have changed to D. TV, we have such clarity that we never had with Suddenlink. I will let you all know how it is once we get into the rainy, stormy season.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I will let you all know how it is once we get into the rainy, stormy season.
I had Directv for a long time. 11 years. The only time we ever had trouble with rain was if it was getting ready to rain really, really hard. I had the service at 2 different addresses in 2 different states so it's safe to presume that our experience would be typical of a well tuned installation. We actually used the drop out to our advantage. If we lost the dish we knew we had better make sure the hatches were battened down and all of the stuff picked up out of the yard. A thunderstorm was a comin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina