Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 65,158 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am planning to relocate from the NE to coastal North Carolina in about 2 years. I am a single woman receiving SS and pension. I need affordable housing without being in a high crime area. The areas I am looking at are Supply and Elizabeth City. I would prefer not to live in a very big city for safety reasons. Are there apartment complexes in either of these areas with rent at 650 or below that are in low crime areas, allow pets and don't have insect problems? I would also like to avoid college areas. Or should I look at privately owned rental properties? I would like to purchase (<65K), but am putting that on hold until I become familiar with the area. Any information that you could give me about either of these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJae View Post
I need affordable housing without being in a high crime area. The areas I am looking at are Supply and Elizabeth City.
Do you have particular reasons for looking at those two towns? (Elizabeth City has college students.) There are other areas like Newport and Cape Carteret which have very low crime rates, and reasonable rentals can be found nearby. With a $650 budget many of the rentals you would find are mobile homes. I don't mind a mobile home, which can offer more privacy than an apartment, and you can control the insects yourself. I was looking at Trulia to locate the rentals.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 PM

I was looking at these two areas because they are the only ones I found so far that are near the ocean and have affordable housing. I don't mind a mobile home either. I will look into the towns you mentioned also. I am doing quite a bit of research - it's just nice to get some perspective from someone who is more familiar with the area than I am. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 AM

910 posts, read 1,313,624 times
Elizabeth City's about an hour from the beach. It's not really near the ocean.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:09 AM

3,060 posts, read 4,793,226 times
Elizabeth City has lots of affordable housing because its inland and has a lot of public housing. For perspective, Camden County next door has NO public housing at all...not even a senior living subsidized housing community. I'd be willing to bet there are limited subsidized communities in many coastal counties, Currituck, Dare, Brunswick or the Hampstead area of Pender...it was mostly rural land leading up to the beach communities and mobile homes were prevalent.

There are less and less mobile homes now, for awhile there Brunswick Co allocated $500,000 a year just to the removal of dilapidated mobile homes in an effort to clean up the county and preserve property values. It actually has had a positive effect on the rural landscape. For this reason, I would recommend the Supply area if you find something suitable for you. Its fairly easy access to Oak Island, Sunset Beach or even Ocean Isle Beach and just down the road from the new Novant Medical Center in Bolivia. You may also look into Shallotte which is more of a town with grocery and other options. I would not consider either of these options high crime, more rural landscape, small town feel.

You say you are looking to purchase for less than 65K? That's a tall order near the coast...you may consider Burgaw, which is a safe community. Castle Hayne might work, maybe Supply, Shallotte...maybe even Sneads Ferry or Holly Ridge. There are not a lot of rental options in these areas outside of mobile homes or older houses, because it was all rural until 15-20 years ago.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:55 PM

I knew it was a tall order. That's why I looked for advice. I am definitely not looking for public housing. I don't think I would qualify for it anyway. I just want someplace safe to live where I don't have to spend my entire income every month on bills. I really don't want too rural of a town. That makes it more difficult to meet people and make friends. I have to avoid big cities with my budget also because I know what kind of housing that would get me. Thanks for the suggestions - it really does help.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 PM

505 posts, read 2,533,676 times
Quote:
I knew it was a tall order. That's why I looked for advice. I am definitely not looking for public housing. I don't think I would qualify for it anyway. I just want someplace safe to live where I don't have to spend my entire income every month on bills. I really don't want too rural of a town. That makes it more difficult to meet people and make friends. I have to avoid big cities with my budget also because I know what kind of housing that would get me. Thanks for the suggestions - it really does help.
I am thinking Carteret co too...Newport is a nice little town. I have a good friend that lives there and I have spent a good amount of time there as well. Cape Carteret as mentioned is a good option too. it is only like 3 miles from the beach (emerald Isle) and just like 5 miles from Swansboro which is one of my favorite little towns. I am betting Newport would be cheaper though...further from the ocean.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM

291 posts, read 865,773 times
I would also think about exploring Hampstead or Sneads Ferry...

Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
I would also think about exploring Hampstead or Sneads Ferry...
Agreed, there are many mobile homes in either area. Sneads Ferry also has apartments, but they were recently built and are marketed as luxury apartments, starting around $900. If the OP qualified for a section 8 voucher, I heard that the Stillwater at Southbridge complex takes them.

The problem with Sneads Ferry is that there is a lot of noise from the Marine base firing artillery. Sometimes they fire late into the night and it is difficult to sleep. The other problem is that most of one's neighbors will be young Marines or Navy.

One complex I like in Hampstead is the Topsail Greens community. It is a mobile home park, but it is built around a nice golf course. I'm not sure whether the lots are rented, but it is certainly one of the more affordable places for retirees. Hampstead also has a Jensens MHP, which is age-qualified for over 55. Hampstead is also far enough from the Marine base, that all you hear is an occasional helicopter. Jensens has homes for sale under $60K, but you also have to consider what they charge for lot rental.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-28-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 23,360 times
Quote:
Hi all. I am planning to relocate from the NE to coastal North Carolina in about 2 years. I am a single woman receiving SS and pension. I need affordable housing without being in a high crime area. The areas I am looking at are Supply and Elizabeth City. I would prefer not to live in a very big city for safety reasons. Are there apartment complexes in either of these areas with rent at 650 or below that are in low crime areas, allow pets and don't have insect problems? I would also like to avoid college areas. Or should I look at privately owned rental properties? I would like to purchase (<65K), but am putting that on hold until I become familiar with the area. Any information that you could give me about either of these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi SeaJae, Any luck in finding a place! I my self looking to retire on the coast of NC. any suggestion!

Thanks, Ike1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina