U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,139,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie
I just was reading in a guide book I got on the area that (their words) "South port would be considered quaint were it not for it being overshadowed by the nuclear power plant there".

Can anyone give me more details on this?

We have one here 1/2 hour or so from where we live, so I'm not concerned from a safety standpoint, but they made it sound like it's some big eyesore.

It's on highway 133 on the way into town. Unless you actually go onto the property, it's not really obvious. It's a couple of miles from the "quaint" downtown area. Only eyesore(?) might be the "cooling canal" on the way into town, but that's about it
Quote:
You have to know where it is to see it. Only part you really notice is the visitors center.

The Military terminal is more of *there* than the nuke plant. Liz
These Ladies are absolutely positive abour where the plant is located.

About driving to the beach from Leland it really depends on the traffic. Hey maybe you know better than I do since I lived on the Island and I just have to ride my bike to the beach or golf cart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 PM

10 posts, read 26,787 times
I live in southport & I hardly say we we even think about the power plant or the military terminal. I spend a lot of time on the water here on the Cape Fear River & the only major river traffic is pleasure boating & container ships to the port in Wilmington.
I just read you requirements again & Southport really fits your needs. The hospital here is growing & there are LOTS of doctors. Brunswick Hosp is really only about 30min from Southport & plans are for a new one to be built ASAP even closer. Wilmington is about 30-40min away (depending on where you need to go) and has what Southprot doesn't. But i pretty much have what I need here for shopping. I live downtown & walk everywhere - except to get groceries - about 5mins. check out Southport-Realty.com for great pictures of the area & use the search engine to look for housing.
Hope this helps! Oh- did I mention we are on the Cape Fear River & the drive to the Oak Island beaches is 10-15min (depending on traffic).

Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 PM

50 posts, read 222,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
Here are the developments in/near Southport we have read about. Wondering if any of these are worth checking out....

Indigo Plantation
Arbor Creek
The Landing @ Southport
Winding River
Carolina Place
Marsh Creek
South Harbour Village

It appears from what I have looked at, Holden Beach is out of our price range, as is Devaun at Calabash.
It all depends on what type of home you are seeking and it's location. Indigo Plantation and The Landing @ Southport, are very close to town. Arbor Creek, Winding River are on RT. 211, and the other places are between Southport and Oak Island. Are you looking for a Townhome, or Single Family, do you like golfing? boating? these are all things to consider. I lived in Indigo Village and just loved it, it's close to town and the beaches. It is also close to Bald Head Island ferry, very quaint and picturesque. Contact me if I can be of any further help.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:26 PM

219 posts, read 789,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
We are possibly looking at moving to the NC Coast for retirement.

October we are taking our first trip out to see the area. Since we are staying at Bald Head Island, and since it has had some good write-ups, Southport is on our list.

We are looking for places that are within 30 min of: the ocean, accessible to a larger community for cultural events, a good hospital (my husband has a heart condition), a good airport, veterinary care, restaurants other than chains, and boating access nearby.

We'd like essential shopping to be in the town itself - a pharmacy and a grocery store.

One "must" is low crime. I was shocked when I looked at Shallotte and Ocean Isle at the high crime rate.

We'd like a place with a "real" downtown, where independent shops thrive and the malls haven't taken over.

Ideally we think we'd like to be in some sort of development - but not an over 55+ - which is nicely done, attractive, quiet and walkable.

We've been to Chapel Hill area several times now and fell in love with Fearrington - that is the sort of development we like - kept the trees, have a bank, bookstore, village market right in the development - have a community pool and tennis courts and walking and bike trails, however, given all things being equal, we would prefer to be closer to the ocean.

We love the people in NC - so friendly! We think the state has alot to offer and are excited about seeing the coast, as we truly love the ocean - we live 2 blocks from it now. We are anxious to escape the bitter, long winters though (we live in MA). Our town now is 17K that we live in, but we are open to smaller towns, as long as something larger is not too far away for the things we mentioned. We are pretty simple, and like quiet, not glitz and action.

On our list so far are: Sunset Beach, Holden Beach, St. James, Boiling Spring Lakes, Southport and Oak Island.

Can anyone comment? Rule any of these out based on our criteria or add others? We are sticking to Brunswick County right now. Will see Crystal Coast at another time where we might check out Beaufort. We ruled out New Bern due to the high crime there.

Also, can anyone give us names of developments to check out that might meet our criteria? Our needs are modest, but we would like a single family home rather than a condo - 1,500 sq ft - 1,800 sq ft - 300-400K price range.
Macd
"One "must" is low crime. I was shocked when I looked at Shallotte and Ocean Isle at the high crime rate."
Judy and I are trying to get down to Shallotte but have to wait to sell. We have a deposit on a place and really like Shallotte and Calabash. Calabash has a real small town feel.
As for the crime thing.
As a retired city detective (Camden NJ) I really, really, have concerns about where we will live in NC. We just love Calabash but we found a place the wife really loves in Shallotte..........it has a two car garage so I really love it. I did some online research and like you, found the crime a little "interesting".
On our last trip I made it a point to stop and talk to Shallotte police officers and firefighters. Also spoke with people who live in Shallotte. Asked question after question to find out exactly what the crime problems were and WHERE.
So, for us, if we EVER sell, Shallotte will be a fit.
I can only tell you to spend time in the town/s you are interested in and speak to everybody and I mean everybody. Police, firefighters, grocers, garbage men ........... and tell them exactly what you are looking for and your concerns.
Best of luck. You are looking in the right area/s. Great little towns.
Denny and Judy
Woodlynne NJ

Old 11-30-2007, 12:23 PM

50 posts, read 222,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
Macd
"One "must" is low crime. I was shocked when I looked at Shallotte and Ocean Isle at the high crime rate."
Judy and I are trying to get down to Shallotte but have to wait to sell. We have a deposit on a place and really like Shallotte and Calabash. Calabash has a real small town feel.
As for the crime thing.
As a retired city detective (Camden NJ) I really, really, have concerns about where we will live in NC. We just love Calabash but we found a place the wife really loves in Shallotte..........it has a two car garage so I really love it. I did some online research and like you, found the crime a little "interesting".
On our last trip I made it a point to stop and talk to Shallotte police officers and firefighters. Also spoke with people who live in Shallotte. Asked question after question to find out exactly what the crime problems were and WHERE.
So, for us, if we EVER sell, Shallotte will be a fit.
I can only tell you to spend time in the town/s you are interested in and speak to everybody and I mean everybody. Police, firefighters, grocers, garbage men ........... and tell them exactly what you are looking for and your concerns.
Best of luck. You are looking in the right area/s. Great little towns.
Denny and Judy
Woodlynne NJ
Hi, and welcome to the NC Coastal forum. I too own investment property in Brunswick co. and I was curious if you ever received a reply on the "high crime" rate. I just love the area, so if you could provide some insight, that would be awesome. I personally did not get that impression of high crime, how do you think they came up with the figures?

Old 11-30-2007, 02:42 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,987,969 times
Crime in North Carolina? Say it isn't so.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:01 PM

217 posts, read 1,031,786 times
There is a gorgeous new development in the works right on the river 5 minutes from downtown Wilmington, very close to the airport. We thought the homesites are very reasonable compared to other waterfront developements. I think it's actually in the Castle Hayne township but very close to Wilmington. Development is called Sunset Reach. You can get more info from this website, Rockford Partners Good luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:48 PM

76 posts, read 337,470 times
I very strongly suggest NOT downtown Southport. I would give absolutely anything to get out of the city limits. We are taxed by county, city AND district (smithville)- all very high. The electric bill is the highest I've ever seen- including LA. I have a 2 bdr home, 3 people. My electric is always over $200 a month. It has been over 400! Sewer bill is based on water bill x3.Runs around $80. The kicker is our water isn't even treated water. It comes out of one of 3 public wells in town.

I have lived here 15 years. Our real estate prices spiked last year, and are trickling back down. Most of the houses that were for sale last year are now sporting for rent signs. Foreclosures are very high- check the local paper to see.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,349,428 times
Quote:
The data I'm looking at is different than what is here.

National Average is listed at 100.

Woodlynne 83 -4.00% pop change
The four zip codes listed for Shallotte:
Calabash: 28467: 41 +94% pop change
Sunset Beach: 28468: 77 +104.00%
Ocean Isle Beach: 28469: 76 +110.00%
Shallotte: 28470: 67 +68.00%

Quote:
Federal Bureau of Investigation and local police departments and municipalities for crime information.
Liz

Old 12-15-2007, 07:25 PM

41 posts, read 196,356 times
Just a couple of things to check out: There is a huge multi-billion $ new shipping port planned for the Cape Fear River. I personally dont know what the ramifications are except that employment will be in the thousands. Also be fully apprised of the insurance costs anywhere along the coast before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina