U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM

31 posts, read 87,928 times

Advertisements

We are coming up in a few weeks to visit the are from Wilmington south to Ocean Isle. We want to check out some areas close to Wilmington-Magnolia Greens, Porters Neck Plantation, Waterford of the Carolinas, Village at Motts Landing and Brunswick Forest Plantation.
Are any of these communities in any sort of financial distress-regarding the facilities that are built or promised by the developer?
Any other "red flags" concerning any of them?
A number of people say that anything south of Leland is "no man's land"-what's your opinion.
I know everybody has an opinion, but we are really trying to get some factual info about any particular problems with certain communities. As far as the "no man's land", we'd love to hear your opinions.
Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
I can only tell you that we visited most of these communities. They are vastly different from one another, so I won't even try to compare them.

Brunswick Forest was attractive. It visually looks like it is and will be a gorgeous community. But - so much of it is undeveloped. What could end up being built there? We are particularly sensitive to this issue because we had a planned community behind our old house. It was zoned for SFR only. Years later, it was rezoned for apartments. We sold before they were built, and financially did pretty well. Based on OUR bias, we would not consider BF right now. But we would consider Waterford, especially since it is complete.
G
One more thing : we came here a week ago, only expecting to like Planned Communities. This area IS different. Unlike what we expected or are used to, there are many attractive housing options outside of a planned community.

Ultimately, it depends on the environment you are looking for. I am a big 'different strokes for different folks ' kind of persin, so maybe if you explain what you want, others can comment more accurately.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munster1234 View Post
Any other "red flags" concerning any of them?
A number of people say that anything south of Leland is "no man's land"-
Everything you have mentioned is a well developed community, except the Village at Motts Landing which is brand new. No red flags, except that Brunswick Forest has a lot of empty lots, and I'm told the HOA fees can be high. (I was told $300 per month but you should verify it.)

It's nonsense to anything south of Leland is no man's land. The population may be more spread out but there are many nice communities.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 AM

551 posts, read 1,698,530 times
Porters Neck is near me -- I don't live there but I know people who do and think it is very nice -- also the location is very convenient. Nothing against the other places you mention, just haven't been there.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munster1234 View Post
We want to check out some areas close to Wilmington-Magnolia Greens, Porters Neck Plantation, Waterford of the Carolinas, Village at Motts Landing and Brunswick Forest Plantation.
Porters Neck Plantation has a much higher average price: from the $400s to $600s and higher. The other communities average in the $300s, but there are many bargains available.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM

84 posts, read 144,242 times
I live in Brunswick Forest and the HOA is nowhere near as high as $300 per month.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,962,677 times
Just wondering. My wife and I are avid beach goers. How "close" or how "far away" are these 3 commun ities from the closest Beach? Do they have a Beach House? Do they have appropriate nearby parking?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 PM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
I don't think ANY of the above mentioned communities have a beach or beach house, and nearly all would be 30-45 minutes from the beach. SJP has a beach house, but that would be a 45 minute drive to Wilmington.

You need to look at a map of the area. But be prepared for sticker shock if you are needing a beach area property. Frankly, if "BEACH" was my priority, I'd probably be looking in other states. NC does have some nice beaches, but I don't think they compare to what you can find elsewhere.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Do they have a Beach House? Do they have appropriate nearby parking?
A community beach house isn't really necessary, as all the beaches in NC are public. It may be nice for privacy and for parking on the weekends.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Do they have a Beach House? Do they have appropriate nearby parking?
Winding River has a beach house with parking, if you are interested in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina