Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,880 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a single 34 year old woman currently living in Miami, Florida. I would like to move to the Outer Banks and enjoy another side of life that Miami does not offer.

I would like to know about the best places to live that work with my age group and any other information you can provide a Miami girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenniar View Post
I would like to move to the Outer Banks and enjoy another side of life that Miami does not offer.
Just out of curiosity, what side is that?

Old 09-09-2007, 10:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenniar View Post
Hello! I am a single 34 year old woman currently living in Miami, Florida. I would like to move to the Outer Banks and enjoy another side of life that Miami does not offer.

I would like to know about the best places to live that work with my age group and any other information you can provide a Miami girl.

Kenniar, have you ever been to the Outer Banks? Other than areas around Nags Head and Kitty Hawk, there is not much there but miles and miles of sand and beach houses - no McDonalds, no malls, no tanning beds, limited grocery shopping. The whole area is protected from development like that - which makes it a great place for a very relaxing vacation, especially October through May - but not really conducive to year round living, unless you are looking for isolation?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 AM

144 posts, read 679,812 times
Kenniar the OBX (outerbanx) is a little different if you are moving from Miami you may even find it a little dead unless you are absolutely looking to escape the city life. There are some things throughout the year but it is very community and family oriented. Think rural with lots of money. If you don't want too much culture shock you might like the Virginia Beach, VA area a little more. It has a little busier pace year around but is not as family oriented as the OBX. (Although, a family person from VABeach might beg to differ.) I like the OBX but I enjoy the slower pace. If you crave long walks on very sparsely populated beaches during the fall and winter you will love the OBX but if you require nightlife and activity you'll probably be bored to tears in the off season.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:44 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
I have a co-worker who is originally from Florida. She went to the outer banks for vacation this summer. Left after two days out of pure boredom. Not sure what you are looking for, but I wouldn't jump to the outer banks unless you are a real recluse.
Beaufort might be a better choice. There is more there besides sand.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:27 PM

109 posts, read 391,124 times
Default Obx

I have owned a cottage at Kill Devil Hills for 9 years. I have lived mostly
in Greensboro but the past year in Charlotte. I have been all over the
country and Florida multiple times. The area has changed quite a bit
over the years, including great highway access to the western part of
the state. Even where the towns are there is great beauty within walking
distance. The bay and sound areas are incredible. There is a modern movie
complex, more shopping and decent super markets.
Another side benefit is the quality of the air. It is also a great place to
raise kids with award winning schools.
I love it there.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 AM

9 posts, read 134,824 times
I would def move from Miami to outer banks.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin11 View Post
I would def move from Miami to outer banks.
Well, I'd much rather live in the Outer Banks than Miami too - but it just may not be too practical for a 30-something single woman who needs to work for a living

Old 09-24-2007, 06:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I have to chime in here! I own a home in Fl and the mountains in NC. I LOVE the mountains and I just got back from a week visit to the OBX. I considered selling my Fl house and buying a cottage on the coast. I visited Duck, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Kill DEvil Hills and Corolla. I LOVED Duck and Corolla. I stayed in Nags Head on the beach and every other house has a 'for rent' sign and the road is littered w/ cigarette butts. The mountains have spoiled me! I heard lots of cars on the road at all hours and this is off season. From the dune I could see Staples...it was not at all what I expected. In NH, KDH and KH the houses are on top of each other. I have a home in Pompano Beach, Fl and I would rather be there then the OBX. JMO!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:54 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I have to chime in here! I own a home in Fl and the mountains in NC. I LOVE the mountains and I just got back from a week visit to the OBX. I considered selling my Fl house and buying a cottage on the coast. I visited Duck, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Kill DEvil Hills and Corolla. I LOVED Duck and Corolla. I stayed in Nags Head on the beach and every other house has a 'for rent' sign and the road is littered w/ cigarette butts. The mountains have spoiled me! I heard lots of cars on the road at all hours and this is off season. From the dune I could see Staples...it was not at all what I expected. In NH, KDH and KH the houses are on top of each other. I have a home in Pompano Beach, Fl and I would rather be there then the OBX. JMO!
I will say this. You have a real knack at short-hand. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina