U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,007 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi , I moved to Sunset Beach three months ago to follow my fiance and hoping to find a job in my field Accounting- Bookkeeping. I have 14 years experience from NYC- and so far - after sending aver 200 applications - emails, resumes.. etc - nothing.
It is realy so hard to find regular office work around here- or should I just
forget it and help my fiance to develop his business in " concrete, driways- patios... etc...
I just need a HOPE - I need to know - should I stay or should I go back home to NYC ?
Please help - I need some advice or at least a few words about everything good around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Missouri
1,554 posts, read 4,144,170 times
Reputation: 740
I am shocked to hear that you haven't found work in your field. I know getting turn down really give you lose self esteem. Cheer up don't give up and you will find work. I have a feeling your boyfriend is gonna need your bookkeeping help and you can both company when that time comes. Some places let you do work from home. I am guessing they don't have to pay for a full time employee just part time. Have you consider that. I think it would be best to walk in with your head high and asked if they need a new bookkeeper.I don't know if your realize the pay rate is very low here you gonna have to start from the bottom then work your way up in the office or another. Just get a low paying job until you found something better pay. Don't ever stop looking for a better positions. There is someone out that really needs you. Have you consider doing taxes as well. Just a thought. Keep your head UP and don't get discourage of what your trying to do.

Kareybear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM
 
19 posts, read 69,678 times
Reputation: 20
I'd like you to refer you to read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.It is available in public libraries.There is nothing as powerful as a made up mind. We put limitations to what we can achieve.I think one of the most important thing is your desire to be in charge of your destiny. You can do it! If you cannot get a regular job, look around for businesses that do not have high start ups and overhead costs. Some are very real and can truly change your life. There are many opportunities in Wilmington, NC. Just do your due diligence and do not give up. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,655,930 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmn5577 View Post
I'd like you to refer you to read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.It is available in public libraries.There is nothing as powerful as a made up mind. We put limitations to what we can achieve.I think one of the most important thing is your desire to be in charge of your destiny. You can do it! If you cannot get a regular job, look around for businesses that do not have high start ups and overhead costs. Some are very real and can truly change your life. There are many opportunities in Wilmington, NC. Just do your due diligence and do not give up. Best of luck.
I think I'm gonna get that book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,655,930 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubitsza View Post
Hi , I moved to Sunset Beach three months ago to follow my fiance and hoping to find a job in my field Accounting- Bookkeeping. I have 14 years experience from NYC- and so far - after sending aver 200 applications - emails, resumes.. etc - nothing.
It is realy so hard to find regular office work around here- or should I just
forget it and help my fiance to develop his business in " concrete, driways- patios... etc...
I just need a HOPE - I need to know - should I stay or should I go back home to NYC ?
Please help - I need some advice or at least a few words about everything good around here.

Don't fret, there's hope. Check your PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2007, 06:18 PM
 
19 posts, read 69,678 times
Reputation: 20
Did you go to the public library to borrow a copy of Napolean Hill book Think and Grow Rich? This book has changed many peoples lives, mine included. I had all odds against me when i came in this country but now i'm happy i found my path. You can do it too.I found that they are offering a free copy on the internet. I have no association with that site whatsoever. I just googled the book. Here is the web site if you are interested Free Think Grow Rich Book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,626 times
Reputation: 10
Default out of work felon

How long does my record have to be a lead weight around my neck I made some bad choices in my youth but at 34 i won't make the same choices I made at 23 I've never committed a violent crime I just sold weed an I can't find a job at 34for a crime I committed at 23 I don't want to return to the street but I fear I might not have a choice cause I have to pay my rent an my kids need to eat an I their provider I don't want them to ever have to make any choices like this any one who knows how to pray Please pray for me................................................ ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2009, 07:34 PM
 
157 posts, read 497,521 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandrell View Post
How long does my record have to be a lead weight around my neck I made some bad choices in my youth but at 34 i won't make the same choices I made at 23 I've never committed a violent crime I just sold weed an I can't find a job at 34for a crime I committed at 23 I don't want to return to the street but I fear I might not have a choice cause I have to pay my rent an my kids need to eat an I their provider I don't want them to ever have to make any choices like this any one who knows how to pray Please pray for me................................................ ...
here's what u do:
1. rent a small office...u can find 100 Sq fts for less than $200/month.
2. for showers, get a gym membership... u can find one for less than $50/month.
3. Get a Bus pass...u can get one for under $50/month.
4. Buy a Gallon water jug, and refill it at water fountains...you can go to plently of places and get free food so that should be an issue.

So, you have effectively cut your expenses to only $300.

Even at a minimum wage fast food job, you can easily make this in less than a week, and stack up the rest to invest in a business that you will run. ill return for more later, but im pretty tired now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 02:14 PM
 
2 posts, read 8,352 times
Reputation: 10
i know exactly what your saying, i have been here since May and have applied to places and have never heard a thing back. When my fiancée and i were moving down here from Maine we were calling Realtors off the hook leaving messages and never heard back from anyone, finally we found a private rental and he was great. Things don't operate like this where i'm from. If i was you i would go back to NYC, you will make way more money and people will actually call you back. You make no money here and like i said they will never return your calls. I think the only great thing about NC is the weather is great and the beaches that' s it. I don't know what to do either and i am about to loose it because we moved here to start over. I just don't understand these people here in the south, Up North it's not like this. I wish you luck and i understand what your going threw. If i was you i would go back to NY where you can make some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 PM
 
693 posts, read 1,409,617 times
Reputation: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanna1234 View Post
I think the only great thing about NC is the weather is great and the beaches that' s it. I don't know what to do either and i am about to loose it because we moved here to start over. I just don't understand these people here in the south, Up North it's not like this. I wish you luck and i understand what your going threw. If i was you i would go back to NY where you can make some money.
If your only positive attribute to this state is weather and beaches, then perhaps you have come to the wrong state. There are a lot of states with great weather and beaches. Of course, NC beaches are some of the best on the east coast. And, with an 88 degree day here on the Crystal Coast, I imagine our weather is a bit better than Maine.

Perhaps your negativity is flowing out of you, which is why employers don't want to hire you. "Us people" here in the south are the same as those in the north. Human nature is human nature. Except some of us have better spelling (oh dear, cheap shot, but please, you are being ridiculous - maybe you would say "redeculus"?).

Don't "loose it" (sic).

I replied to an earlier post of yours trying to be kind. But now I think you are a bit like so many other folks who seek greener pastures, only to be disillusioned because your ducks are not in order.

Take responsibility for your life, and for your choices. We are not to blame. You have only yourself to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top