Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!!

If we do move to the beach in NC we are going to have a huge beach party!!!

What I want to know from you guys is.....what are you going to bring!

We will supply the the steaks or chicken (I'm a veggie but my husband isn't).

I elect dsobotta to bring his homemade veggie baked bean dish!

Okay, what are the rest of you going to bring? Are there any special NC dishes?

Let's party and feast!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,327 times
Smile A big beach has room for a big party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi guys!!

If we do move to the beach in NC we are going to have a huge beach party!!!

What I want to know from you guys is.....what are you going to bring!

We will supply the the steaks or chicken (I'm a veggie but my husband isn't).

I elect dsobotta to bring his homemade veggie baked bean dish!

Okay, what are the rest of you going to bring? Are there any special NC dishes?

Let's party and feast!!!!
Roma,

I would be glad to bring my veggie baked bean dish, it travels well.

But if you are going to do something on the beach, we have got to have some seafood. Pan frying flounder for more than a couple people is far too hard.

I'll give you my absolute easiest seafood recipe. We had friends from Oklahoma here a couple of weeks ago, and they could not believe how easy and tasty it was. If they could have changed their plane tickets, they would have stayed another day so I could fix some more.

First we need one of those seafood trays for a grill (about $9.95 at Lowe's Home Improvement or I'll bring mine). Next we need some scallops from a real seafood market. Clyde Phillips Seafood in Swansboro would be just right in spite of the building appearing to fall down.

I really like to buy my scallops in a plastic container or bag so they can stay in their natural juices. Most of the markets here sell them that way.

Spray the seafood tray with a non-stick stuff and put it on the grill and let it get hot. Put the scallops on the tray and after two or three minutes flip them over. Remove from grill and eat when they start to show signs of flakes.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

It is also just about as natural as it gets. No spices, no marinating, no fussing are required.

Even people who don't like scallops any other way, love them this way. I learned how delicately you have to cook scallops from an Acadian restaurant in Nova Scotia when I was living there in the seventies.

Now the only problem is that you need to buy a place close enough so I won't have to drive so far or take a ferry.

Wilmington is only 1.5 hours and I could easily handle that.

If you buy in the Nags Head area, we'll have to do some scheduling but there is plenty of good seafood out there.

I heard the Lone Cedar restaurant on the causeway has reopened so I could sneak by for some of their fantastic crab cakes, then there is always Sam and Omies which has been around since 1937.

It is one of my favorite spots in South Nags Head along with the First Colony Inn.

A few pictures of the first Colony, Hatteras and Ocracoke.

-David

Old 09-11-2007, 01:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
david when my dh grills scallops he prefers to put them right on the grill. fyi, our grill is charcoal not gas which makes a big difference. oh and if you have a charcoal grill try cooking strips of bacon on it. AMAZING!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 AM

3,293 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Roma, As long as you are in Wilmington Metro or even slightly north of that, well make it unless something comes up.

But no beach party is complete without potato salad. Liz

Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 AM

Let's see what we are going to have so far:

David, You are right! We need SEAFOOD instead of steaks or chicken!!!

David is bringing the yummy looking Baked Beans!
Surfingatwork can bring the Bacon and show us how it's done!
Liz is bringing the Potato Salad! (anything potato, I love!)

Okay, we need more food guys!! Everyone is welcome at this beach party!

Who's bringing the salad?
What about dessert (some cobbler maybe?)
Drinks?
Chips and Dip?
How about a North Carolina favorite?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
I would be happy to bring bacon and anything else you need for that matter if I EVER get to NC. hubby is still looking for a job. His company does have a location in hampton, VA though and he's already made a call to HR about transferring. We now just have to wait until something opens up. We're still planning to live in NC even if he works in Hampton, VA so even if we're living in Moyock, NC we'll be there!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
I would be happy to bring bacon and anything else you need for that matter if I EVER get to NC. hubby is still looking for a job. His company does have a location in hampton, VA though and he's already made a call to HR about transferring. We now just have to wait until something opens up. We're still planning to live in NC even if he works in Hampton, VA so even if we're living in Moyock, NC we'll be there!
Best of luck to you in your possible move. Believe me, I understand! Ours is in the "possible" too!

Well, I'm glad you are going to come to the beach party if you do move to NC!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:09 AM

72,414 posts, read 18,200,999 times
Hi Roma,I was busy all day,checked in to see my thread,but didn't have time to see this,sounds like fun,when do you close escrow?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Hi Roma,I was busy all day,checked in to see my thread,but didn't have time to see this,sounds like fun,when do you close escrow?
Hi dragonten!!!!

We don't have a home or an exact location yet. We are still in Texas.

This beach party is if we do move to NC. We are trying to get back to the beach and we are looking in a few different areas and states but we keep coming back to NC.

We have some property we need to sell first (like the other poster does) before we can get real serious about where we want to be. We are in the "exploring" stage right now.

But if we do move to NC, City Data BEACH PARTY!!!!!! And all is welcome!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:43 PM

69 posts, read 453,994 times
I'm in! I'll bring dessert!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina