U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 866 times

Advertisements

Im from Northern WI looking to change location to somewhere warmer.

My roommate and I are 21 and interested in living near the coast. We would really like a quiet place to live with in a short distance of fun activities such as out doories stuff such as hiking/jogging and horseback riding along with fun night life activities.

I'm a licensed beautician but looking to return to school for a photography degree. So any place with a community college or decent photography degree would be great.

We just really wanna get out of our small town and have a change or scenery and north carolina just really stuck out to us. We just don't know what part would fit us since we haven't ever been out there. We are planning on taking a small vacation soon, we just need some advice on the best place to live.

Thanks. Any small pointers or tips would be awesome as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganleslee View Post
My roommate and I are 21 and interested in living near the coast. We would really like a quiet place to live with in a short distance of fun activities such as out doories stuff such as hiking/jogging and horseback riding along with fun night life activities.
We just really wanna get out of our small town and have a change or scenery and north carolina just really stuck out to us.
How far is "close to the coast"? You could be a three-hour drive and be near Raleigh. There are beach areas like the Outer Banks which are starting to need seasonal employees. But you compete with thousand of local colleges students, and the beach areas are not "quiet" in the summer. For example, my local salon in Surf City needs a nail tech. There are year-round rentals in apartments and mobile homes.

You could look at Jacksonville, NC if you want to meet men-- there are 35,000 Marines nearby. Or look at Fayetteville or Goldsboro for other service guys.

As far as outdoor activities, they are available, but you would slow down in the summer. The heat and humidity are overwhelming, nothing like you know in northern Wisconsin.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-23-2012 at 06:12 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,881,871 times
Wilmington is a possibility if you want the beach more like a half hour or less away. It also isn't all that far down to Myrtle Beach, SC, which is a big beach town. Jacksonville is not far from the beach either and there are enough beauty shops there to make finding a job likely. Neither is a very big town but both have a fair amount of young people. There are lots of outdoor activities all over the state.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:03 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,507,469 times
I'm 25 and moving to the area with my g/f we visited the lakes in the area and the pine forests and being close to the ocean reminds me of where I grew up in south jersey. Next visit we'll see some more trails because that's what we do for fun. I was turned off by jacksonville, didn't appeal to me. Prefering nature and space we're looking at the area around elizabethtown and whiteville which is still close to wilmington, the beaches and fayetteville.

When u come down here check out lake waccamaw and jones lake state park, was beautiful and clean and quiet. I got a motel in fayetteville and each day we drove around the shore and lake areas. Temperature seems perfect as well, gets just cold enough but u need to watch out for hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina