U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM

122 posts, read 435,335 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
Visiting Wilmington in early July to see if we would like to retire there. Will stay downtown for a couple of days; looking for suggestions if we should continue to stay in downtown Wilmington or stay at or near the beaches.

Will check out the age-restricted communities around Wilmington but will also like to visit neighborhoods in the city itself. Any suggestions, pro and con, on communities or neighborhoods in Wilmington would be appreciated. Looking for a safe area; stores and restaurants in walking distance would be great; is there public transportation?
No problem with driving; just would be nice not to get in a car all the time.

Can we get a nice house/condo for around $200,000 - $250,000?
Dont' want anything over-the-top. Just want 2-bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths with a little outdoor space for my herbs and flowers.

Like an urban atmosphere but also like some outdoor space to relax in and have a small garden.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 01:11 PM

11,873 posts, read 21,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Can we get a nice house/condo for around $200,000 - $250,000? Dont' want anything over-the-top. Just want 2-bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths with a little outdoor space for my herbs and flowers.

Like an urban atmosphere but also like some outdoor space to relax in and have a small garden.
There are plenty of small houses and condos in that price range in Wilmington. One condo I liked is Independence East on Reston Court. They are one-story 2 or 3 BR units on courtyards. Another condo in Landfall's Colony Club is a little over the price range. There's also the Mairfaire Town Center which sounds exactly like what you are looking for. Check the options here: living in wilmington, nc . It's The Villages for condos.

You may be interested in "patio homes" which are either detached or attached houses with small yards. There's one in Fairfield Park, but there are many developments like it. Look up Vineyard Plantation, for example. I'd also suggest locating a realtor who specializes in retirement places.

Outside of Wilmington, I suggest Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest as the best developed. However, they are totally car-dependent areas, the shopping is mainly big-box stores, and the restaurants are mainly chains. You really sound like you would prefer Wilmington.

I suggest staying in a hotel in Wilmington itself. The beaches are a differently world.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-23-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM

122 posts, read 435,335 times
Thank you for the quick response; should we stay downtown or in another part to get a better flavor of the neighborhoods? What about Monkey Junction (sorry if I put the wrong name in)?

Sigh, it seems like a long way until my vacation!

Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM

11,873 posts, read 21,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Thank you for the quick response; should we stay downtown or in another part to get a better flavor of the neighborhoods? What about Monkey Junction (sorry if I put the wrong name in)?

Sigh, it seems like a long way until my vacation!
I am not really familiar with the hotels. It's just that the beach in July will have inflated prices and will be hard to find anything.

Monkey Junction is AKA Myrtle Grove. It is close to both the Independence East place and the Fairfield Park place. There are probably chain places around there. There are also many new hotels around the junction of Market Street and College: Wingate, Days Inn, Courtyard, etc.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:30 AM

551 posts, read 1,745,235 times
Consider any of the developments in the area around Mayfair. Very close to shopping, the beach, etc. I like the north end of town better than the Monkey Junction area. There are big developments in Brunswick County, and many like them, but to me they are too far from town and just isolated residential. You should not have any problem finding a very nice place in your price range.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 14,095 times
There are some cool places to rent downtown that would put you within walking distance of different things to do (restaurants, shops, bars, historic stuff)

Mayfair is a newer development that is mixed use. Cool hip area but can be a little pricey to buy I would think. Personally though, if I was going to live in Wilmington I would want to live somewhere with a little bit more character... if you are looking for something like Mayfair, just move to Raleigh or Charlotte.

Personally I think you would enjoy Wrightsville beach but that is a little bit out of your price range and probably a little bit too touristy for ya during the summer months (Lots of young college type kids frequent Wrightsville)

Monkey Junction was a great suggestion but you are not going to be within walking distance of anything.

Carolina Beach might be a good option.. it kind of has a blend of all the things you are looking for.

Myself personally, I like the Seagate area... it is smack dab in between the college (UNCW) and Wrightsville Beach. Location wise it is perfect.. you can ride your bicycle easily anywhere. You are a very short drive anywhere you need to go (not to mention strategically located.) Home prices are going to be in your price range as well... Not sure what your age is though, the age range there seems to vary from 26-45 or so. It is my favorite part of town and has a very "community oriented feel to it" and it seems to be were a lot of the lower middle class locals tend to live. (Which happens to be right up my alley)

There are plenty of places that are outlying little communities of wilmington that would fall in your price range such as Ogden, Porters Neck, Kings Grant and the area of nice older homes that is located in between downtown and UNCW.

Anyways good luck on your search! Feel free to message me if you have any questions you think I could answer for ya!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: tos violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina