U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,694,576 times

Advertisements

Dear Will,
I think some folks here are getting the NC Coast Guard base mixed up with the Norfolk VA Naval bases. Just go ahead and live in ECity, the CG base is just a few miles south of town, and the road to it, Weeksville Road, forms the western city limit. ECity is a quaint small town on the river, pretty in springtime with all the dogwoods, and has just enough going on to get by, including a community college, university, hospital, and the beach is just over an hour's drive away. Plenty of CG folks live in ECity, just about whatever kind of housing you want is there. Go to Elizabeth City, NC - History, Events, Attractions - The Albemarle Region Of North Carolina: Pasquotank River and Albemarle Sound - Bed and Breakfast Inns Motels........CoastalGuide for pictures of the area and more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 AM

144 posts, read 608,219 times
Quote:
dh asked me last night if you mentioned killer bees in your area (I nearly fainted) but i think (I HOPE) he was joking.
Sorry for missing this post and questions.

As far as I know there are no killer bees or fire ants here. We do have a lot of regular honey bees and a fairly high wasp count but you just have to learn to be careful and use lots of wasp and hornet spray.

Sorry to hear you are not much of a Church goer as I am a Pastor of a Church in Moyock and could recommend several nice Churches here including the one that I pastor. Would still be glad to see you move here though.

Being a pastor I don't really go out too much for the country music scene although I am sure there are plenty of places around here for that kind of thing. There are probably several in E.C. and down at the outer banks. I don't think there's much of it in Moyock proper although I might just be ignorant of it.

The redneck thing is no big deal especially in Moyock because a lot of the people that live here are transplants. We do, however, have our own redneck store complete with confederate flag bikinis, underwear, and "you might be a redneck" memorabilia. You will see a few rebel flags flown here and there. You might even see the occasional "the south's gonna rise again" bumper stickers. I find if I talk a little slower and pronounce the name of the town as MO - yock (first O long second one short) instead of Moi - yock people don't even know I'm a northerner (from VA ). Ha ha!

Anyway have a great day.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,393,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
Sorry for missing this post and questions.

As far as I know there are no killer bees or fire ants here. We do have a lot of regular honey bees and a fairly high wasp count but you just have to learn to be careful and use lots of wasp and hornet spray.

Sorry to hear you are not much of a Church goer as I am a Pastor of a Church in Moyock and could recommend several nice Churches here including the one that I pastor. Would still be glad to see you move here though.

Being a pastor I don't really go out too much for the country music scene although I am sure there are plenty of places around here for that kind of thing. There are probably several in E.C. and down at the outer banks. I don't think there's much of it in Moyock proper although I might just be ignorant of it.

The redneck thing is no big deal especially in Moyock because a lot of the people that live here are transplants. We do, however, have our own redneck store complete with confederate flag bikinis, underwear, and "you might be a redneck" memorabilia. You will see a few rebel flags flown here and there. You might even see the occasional "the south's gonna rise again" bumper stickers. I find if I talk a little slower and pronounce the name of the town as MO - yock (first O long second one short) instead of Moi - yock people don't even know I'm a northerner (from VA ). Ha ha!

Anyway have a great day.
no fire ants and killer bees that's wonderful! hornets and wasps i can deal with (we have those too) after 8 years of catholic school and 22 years of living with a very irish family, i'm chuch'd out. my grandmother used to tell me, one day, when i'm ready i'll return but for now just be a good person. she was a wonderful gram and i miss her but enough about that.

of course hubby and I have been pronouncing the name of the town incorrectly so thank you. If you're a northerner from VA then BOY what will we be considered. as for that store i'm gonna have to keep hubby away from those bumper stickers. he loves that show. in the meantime, we're just waiting to hear from his company's VA office. i just hope it happens before winter arrives, hubby's already driving me crazy. we had two nights that dropped to 40 and he shut all the windows and started talking about turning the heat on (it's 80 today).

Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
we had two nights that dropped to 40 and he shut all the windows and started talking about turning the heat on (it's 80 today).
I can definitely identify with your husband when it gets below 40 I can't get warm. I was made for sun and heat. I can even survive the 100 degrees / 100% humidity of the carolina summer. That's carolina at its worst.

Tell your husband when you move here to give me a hollar and I'll get him a bumper sticker.

take care!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,218 times
Talking South Mills

Hey Will - South Mills is just 14 miles north of Elizabeth City off Highway 17... good schools, low crime.. historical district. It's a central point if you want to go to Cheasapeak/Norfolk/Va Beach/Kitty Hawk. downtown Norfolk Are you looking to buy or rent???

Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 13,218 times
South Mills - off Highway 17 - 14 miles north from Elizabeth City - Camden County/ low taxes... good schools/low crime!
I moved here as a single gal back in 2004.... it's quiet and my commute to Norfolk was about 45 min... to Va Beach 45- 50 depending on traffic and if you go to hampton you can take the monitor-merrimac bridge vs the Hampton roads which takes you right into Newport News... Are you looking to buy/rent?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Moyock vs. Southmills

Hey I do have to agree with "schewni" about South Mills it is a very quaint and nice little town. There is not much there though. It is quite a bit more rural than Moyock. It does have a very nice smalltown appeal though. Especially around the locks. Camden County is also up and coming but still very rural. It is growing though and won't be that way 15 to 20 years from now. If interested in long term investment Camden would probably be a good long term bet. The major differences between the schools in Camden and Currituck is finances. Camden has a limited rural tax base whereas Currituck has a bottomless well in the Corolla area. Moyock will eventually have it's own school system. Which at present it does sport it's own elementary school with one in the works, and a middle school. High school is on the way but a few years off yet. The draw back to Currituck is the county government is very anti-growth although they try not to seem so. They only plan and allow for growth as the need screams in their faces. I can't really speak to Camden County government as I am not familiar with it.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,140 times
Default Camden County

I live in Camden about 10 minutes from the edge of Elizabeth City. It is a VERY nice area with great schools, a quick drive to pretty much everything with a nice small town feel. It is rural but you can get to shopping in about 15 minutes- Super Walmart, etc. and you can make it to Norfolk in under an hour, and the big shopping in Chesapeake and VA Beach are about 40 minutes away. We moved here from Illinois a year ago & LOVE it! We looked at Elizabeth City but you do have to be careful, some areas are pretty bad, low income, drugs, gangs, etc. But like others have said there are some lovely victorian homes in the area. I've heard some of the schools aren't that great either. When we were looking we took the great schools into consideration, prices are dropping too. There's a house right up the street for sale, we could be neighbors

Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,042 times
Default Get Online with North Carolina Homes Magazine

Go to parispublishingnc.com. They can find you homes all around EC.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 14,179 times
Good morning. My husband and I are waiting to hear if we will be transferred to Elizabeth City. My husband is in the Coast Guard. We aren't exactly sure where would be the best place to live. I've heard, and like you've said, there are some parts of E-city that aren't nice.

We do have 3 small children and we'd obviously like to liv ein a nice safe area. Are there a lot of job opportunities in this area? My background is Business management. Though i will likely stay home with the kids, but I would also like the opportunity to work, as we wil lneed the money.

I haven't found a lot of information on the areas for jobs. I don't kjnow if I want to work in Virginia. That is a long commute and with the military, they deploy and it's just easier living a bit closer to work.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Especially since we may not have a lot of time, if we do move to actually research prior to moving.

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina