U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM

7 posts, read 8,340 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am looking into moving to either Wilmington, NC or Philadelphia, PA from a small historical town Hyde Park, NY. Let me give you a run down of my situation and exactly what I'm looking fort, I will also be posting this in the thread for Philly too.

Where I'm at now:
-Paying $850 for a large studio apartment including heat, water, a/c and electricity... I split all bills with my live-in boyfriend of 3 years.
-Paying $80 per month for car insurance in NY
-Working at an arcade ~20 hours per week at $7.25/hr and working at a call center ~15-20 hours per week at $8.50/hr... I can hardly afford to pay my bills and sometimes need help when the call center doesn't have hours for me.
-Can't find a better job, took me 2 years to go from being laid off to where I am now.
-We have 4 ferrets that I refuse to get rid of, and they are illegal in some cities and states like California, NYC, Washington DC area, etc...
-Minimum wage in NY is $7.25/hr, gas is over $4 per gallon, etc.

Where I would like to be:
-In a one or two bedroom apartment or home renting.... not looking to buy a house yet.
-Ideally working either in a kennel or some other job relevant to animals, and enrolled in beauty school (it costs $13,000 where I'm at)
-Living comfortably to the point where I don't have to starve 2 days before pay day, and where I don't ask for help with my half of the rent and other personal bills like car insurance and such.

I'm considering Wilmington because of the job opportunities (2 years ago I emailed my resume to 10 animal hospitals and about 8 got back to me) and for the beaches and low cost of living.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM

11,279 posts, read 19,838,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice91 View Post
Where I would like to be:
-In a one or two bedroom apartment or home renting.... not looking to buy a house yet.
-Ideally working either in a kennel or some other job relevant to animals, and enrolled in beauty school (it costs $13,000 where I'm at)
-Living comfortably to the point where I don't have to starve 2 days before pay day, and where I don't ask for help with my half of the rent and other personal bills like car insurance and such.

I'm considering Wilmington because of the job opportunities (2 years ago I emailed my resume to 10 animal hospitals and about 8 got back to me) and for the beaches and low cost of living.
You could certainly find a 1 or 2 BR apt. in Wilmington for $850. But whether they would take 4 ferrets, I haven't a clue. Ferrets apparently are not illegal to own. Perhaps you could make some inquiries at some apartments assuming you find a job. There are also mobile homes for rent in the area, and it's possible the owners would not care. I believe you could keep them caged outside here as the winters are milder.

Minimum wage is $7.25 per hour here also. Gas is about $3.89/gallon, so you won't save much. Maybe you would save a little on car insurance.

I believe there are beauty courses at the community colleges around here, so you would save money over the commercial schools.

The unemployment rate around here is not great (9% plus), but I wish you luck with your job search.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM

I lived in a trailer once, never again. I have never been so happy to have the bottom of my mobile home be 4 inches above water as I was when Hurricane Irene hit. They're disgusting, also I don't keep my ferrets outside I have a big cage for them. The fact that they have beauty school courses at community college is great because up here community colleges don't offer the course, only technical schools which are always pricey.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:11 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,452,814 times
Quote:
I split all bills with my live-in boyfriend of 3 years.
I am presuming (but not ASSuming) that you are female, but regardless. NC is about to vote on (and likely pass) a state constitutional amendment that would bar all "legal domestic unions" other than man + woman marriage from any recognition. So if you are accustomed to having domestic-partner benefits or perks, for example, they will go bye-bye, for heterosexual couples as well as gay couples, if this amendment passes.

This may or may not matter to you.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM

I'm a female in a heterosexual relationship yes, but I'm also involved with the LGBT community in my area.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM

When I thought I was moving to Wilmington 2 years ago, almost every single place I applied to got back to me. Up here, I apply for 50 jobs, get call backs from 5-10, get hired at the one hiring burger flippers at $7.25 an hour. It's BS, there's no opportunity for me up here...

Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM

431 posts, read 1,013,130 times
Quote:
When I thought I was moving to Wilmington 2 years ago, almost every single place I applied to got back to me. Up here, I apply for 50 jobs, get call backs from 5-10, get hired at the one hiring burger flippers at $7.25 an hour. It's BS, there's no opportunity for me up here...
Definitely make sure you get a job before heading down. The places that were hiring two years ago might be full now.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:44 PM

This is true, not sure if the unemployment rate has gone up or down since then. What steps should I take before I go down there?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:27 PM

431 posts, read 1,013,130 times
Quote:
This is true, not sure if the unemployment rate has gone up or down since then. What steps should I take before I go down there?
Apply everywhere. Follow up with phone calls? The only issue might be that there are a lot of people already here that can't find jobs. I guess just prove you're more dedicated than they are.

I also moved here from NY, but up near Albany. So the price of some things is cheaper. Pay, however, it definitely not as good.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 AM

70 posts, read 162,038 times
I would also inquire at apts. about the ferrets. I think 4 might be a problem but some realty companies have homes for rent that might be willing to let you have them.For example, I know there are some little homes near the universitiy that rent for around 800/month. It appears to be mostly college students and you are responsible for your small yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina