U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 3,539 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just graduated from college with my degree in Special Education (Exceptional Children). I am currently in Illinois and want to move to the South Atlantic, preferably the Carolina's.

What I want:
*Within 20 minute of a beach (one that is nice for walking, relaxing, playing in the water)
*Nice restaurants (not chains)
*Nice/accepting locals
*A decent dating scene
*More to do than going to the movies and drinking
*A good school district
*A medium-large town/city (I am not a small town girl, but I am also not a big city girl, somewhere in the middle is just right)
*Some place safe

About me:
*Female
*No kids
*Dog lover
*Avid reader
*Teacher
*Sarcastic
*Loves to laugh

What would be the perfect coastal town for me to live in? I have been looking up places online, but I need advice from the locals. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
If you are interested in meeting military guys, I suggest Jacksonville (the Onlsow County schools system), and surrounding counties like Carteret, Craven and Pender. You would also like Wilmington (New Hanover County). However, given the general bad news on education budgets, I am not sure on how many Special Ed openings there are.

Please also search through the forum, I believe people have posted about Special Ed teaching positions within the past month.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
None of us can say what would be the "perfect" place for you to move to, since we don't know you. If there were a "perfect" place in existence, nobody would be living anywhere else! I would suggest asking for a list of a handful of places and visiting all of them, to see which fits you the best. There is not really any such thing as "perfection" and anywhere will have its pros and cons, but at least if you checked them out in person, they would be your pros and cons instead of some stranger's on the Internet

Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,498,471 times
I'm in the same boat, looking for the best place. I did lots of research but until I visited I didn't really know what im looking at. My gf wants to live somewhere a few weeks before buying there and on the other hand I just have a list of reasonable check boxes a place must have and easily pass. I heard that its better to be drawn to a place than to land there just to get away from something else. I lived one year each in 4 apartments in 4 cities and could have stayed in all of them longer if i wished, but one I particularly liked and only left for financial reasons.

For instance I grew up in an isolated neighborhood of 2000 surrounded by pine forests where there were lots of trails and pineys and dirtbiking etc. I could live somewhere like that for years and be happy if I start a fam and everything. But some places like a crouded city or hillbilly place where everyone does drugs and sleeps with eachother i can do without. Also dont want to be to close to where all the retirees live because the town will be geared towards them, unless u worked in that industry. There are a few nice lakes in the coastal region, those are good for swimming as well incase u dont see a populated place immediately by the ocean for ur career besides wilmington.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,816,700 times
I'd only recommend Jacksonville if perhaps you landed a job at one of the DOD schools on base. As a mature single women, you are going to feel akin to being in a college town if you lived and worked in the city itself, the average age is 23. Plus you wouldn't be able to access the beach in Onslow County without a little bit of a trek on account you the base owns most of the beach. If you worked on base you could access it though, in addition, you'd be able to the Officer's Club and be more likely to find someone on your wavelength. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the O' Club is right by the schools, converted from one of the older schools.

Wilmington would be the best recommendation in NC. Myrtle Beach may fit the bill as well, as well as Charleston. Those three are the only ones where you won't have to make any major concessions from the criteria you've listed.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'd only recommend Jacksonville if perhaps you landed a job at one of the DOD schools on base.
I should have suggested the OP figure out how to apply for those DOD jobs if she wanted to broaden her base of opportunites.

BTW, I should also have said, "no place is perfect". It think the OP should target a few acceptable areas.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
I totally admit that I am not that familiar with the area, but the OP's list sounds like Savannah to me. I can think of a few places in Florida, too, and maybe Charleston - but I think Savannah is hitting almost all of her checklist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina