Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times

Advertisements

BIG Fisheries News! Evidently this coming Thursday April 5 the Legislative Research Commission's Committee on Marine Fisheries will be taking a vote on whether or not to proceed forward with abolishing the Division of Marine Fisheries and the Marine Fisheries Commission and leaving coastal management solely in the hands of the inland Wildlife Resources Commission.
Saltwater Catch has posted two documents prepared for the legislators & their upcoming Thursday meeting.
Read the Study and the Bill at Saltwater Catch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
THat is good news! Hope it passes.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Why?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:21 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Is it a completely redundant department? Or does the DMF have duties outside of it? I'm all for smaller government, but curious to the outcome on all sides.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:25 PM
LLN

The Wildlife Resources Commission had credibility, a track record for success, and represents the whole state routinely. Its what they do. And they do it well. Deer, turkey, bear, and about everything except quail have flourished under their management, even as habitat and environment have been wrecked.

Plus, my experience has been that they listen to the substance of the input, not the volume with which it is delivered.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 AM

79 posts, read 318,438 times
Be careful what you wish for.......I'm not convinced that a shift in power is a good thing.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM

The study and amendment are fraught with fallacies. Read the documents before posting arbitrary comments.
In terms of cost savings the amendment states: " Identify a target reduction of five percent (5%) in personnel and budgetary spending to be achieved by the reorganization"
And before you point the fish finger of blame, please realize that the Division of Marine Fisheries isn't the only management of our coastal waters. There are also NOAA, South Atlantic Fishery Management Council and the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council to name a few others. Wildlife Resources Commission doesn't have to deal with other agencies like the Division has to.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
LLN

Well one thing for sure, we will see. One way or the other.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
LLN

Arbitrary comments? I can't even conceive what that means. As opposed to what kind of comments? C'mon man!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The Wildlife Resources Commission had credibility, a track record for success, and represents the whole state routinely. Its what they do. And they do it well. Deer, turkey, bear, and about everything except quail have flourished under their management, even as habitat and environment have been wrecked.

Plus, my experience has been that they listen to the substance of the input, not the volume with which it is delivered.
I also think the WRC has done a great job, but I do think that managing a resource that provides livelihood for a lot of people is something very different from what they have done in the past. OTOH, I think the DMF is sometimes a little too sympathetic to the plight of the professional fisherman. Don't get me wrong; the plight is very real and it's hard to tell people that are just trying to get by that they can't all do what their ancestors have done for generations. I don't envy the people who have to regulate the industry down there no matter what it says on their shirts.

Do you agree with the following statements?
WRC's primary job is managing recreational resources.
DMF's primary job is regulating an industry.

Just because WRC has been doing their job well doesn't mean they will do DMF's job better than DMF has been doing.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 04-05-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina