U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM

61 posts, read 83,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It's never that heavy.
To qualify what I meant by heavy, I mean there will be times when there will be enough traffic that it will dictate your speed, but it will probably be moving pretty well. Most people tend to drive > 5 mph over the limit, but when it gets heavy it tends to get closer to the actual limit (I won't bother with the tangent about what speed we should drive at). If you like to drive 10+ mph over the limit, it may feel like a back up to you. The OP mentioned a road rage issue, and people that get that tend to be fast drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM

3,271 posts, read 827,200 times
That stretch of 64 the Tyrrell county sherrifs are more of a concern than traffic, especially weekend mornings. They love busting people then.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 PM

110 posts, read 130,575 times
Outer Banks are not that bad traffic wise that time of year. Once schools are out june onward gets crazy. Hang gliding, kite surfing, kayaking, horseback riding and 4 wheeling are all to be had there as is some great fishing. After Memorial Day prices rise sharply and gets crowded. Topsail is ok, mostly folks from inland NC with trailer or beach houses and not much else but laid back. Below Wilmington in the souther shores nice, Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach all nice as is oak island. Southport os a very cool small town. Ferry over to Kure Beach or out to Bald Head Island

Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM

256 posts, read 465,401 times
For 24 year olds I would suggest Duck or Nags Head. Traffic is no problem that time of year.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM

16 posts, read 19,069 times
Thanks for all the suggestions and info. We booked a really amazingly priced quaint little hotel in Kill Devil Hills last night and we look forward to planning out a 7 day trip. I'm very excited about all the nature. =]

Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Just so you know you picked the most touristy, overcrowded part of the outer banks. Plus they just dropped the speed limit on the bypass in KDH to 45 so it's going to be even more of a hassle getting around, especially if you're coming after Memorial Day.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Oh, I know. =] The main reason we chose it is because it was 6 nights for less than $500, and we really don't plan on being in our hotel except to sleep, so we'll be spending our days in other areas and only coming back at night. I don't mind being in traffic or having to go slow in scenic areas, what I mind is getting stuck in 6 lane interstate traffic and traffic like they have in Wilmington where the only things you have to look at are places around you selling something and a ton of people shoulder to shoulder. We'll be there in late May.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwietracht View Post
Oh, I know. =] what I mind is getting stuck in 6 lane interstate traffic and traffic like they have in Wilmington where the only things you have to look at are places around you selling something and a ton of people shoulder to shoulder.
That's the most apt description of KDH in the summer.

Going 10 mph while some land barge from NJ decides whether to swerve across 3 lanes without signaling to hit up Burger King or the gas station.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM

61 posts, read 83,498 times
If you are going before Mem Day, KDH is only 10 minutes from Nags Head and 15 from Duck in the other. I think you made a good choice.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
If you are going before Mem Day, KDH is only 10 minutes from Nags Head and 15 from Duck in the other. I think you made a good choice.
Thanks, I think so as well. What's most important to me is enjoying the entire area we chose and having options for hiking and nature and not only beaches, so what really sold me was the nature preserves and other outdoor activities. Not to mention the camping options available. I like that so many of the areas seem more "no-frills". I really don't see us being in our hotel much at all so I'm glad we got such a good deal pre-season. =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
That's the most apt description of KDH in the summer.

Going 10 mph while some land barge from NJ decides whether to swerve across 3 lanes without signaling to hit up Burger King or the gas station.

Well, I guess it's a good thing we won't be there in the summer or the in-season, isn't it? Or are you just determined to **** in someones Cheerios?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina