U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:43 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,500,377 times

Advertisements

Living how close to the ocean do people have to evacuate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM

33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Living how close to the ocean do people have to evacuate?

You won't like this answer:
It depends.

If a hurricane is going to come ashore the people in the target area evacuate, that can extend miles inland and miles on either side.

A tropical storm is a little harder to call, a nor'easter even harder.

Be Prepared

Couldn't link to NC Emergency management.

One thing to remember is that your safety is your responsibility. If you're told to leave, do so. Don't wait for the government at any level to come get you. They won't.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM

364 posts, read 552,767 times
People have complained about the cold winter winds off the ocean. Wet cold does seem more penetrating, however, the ocean is actually a moderating infuence on the weather. That big body of water keeps us warmer in winter and cooler in the summer than areas further west of us.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 AM

116 posts, read 285,968 times
grew up on NC coast so will offer some info.
First true outerbankers never ever by on the ocean front. Those are the homes you hear about on the news after a hurricane passes by that are washing away. Plus they are the very expensive ones. SO stay away from ocean front per se. Insurance is astronomical if you live anywhere within what insurance companies deem hurricane zone of coastal counties. It can add upwards of 1000 to a monthly house payment depending on location and size just for insurance.

Salt will ruin everything. It will rust galvanized fences even. Wood same! Plus termites ar ebad down east so if you move make sure to have routine inspections and treatments.

weatherwise, ehh it is not as bad as folks make it, yes you get cold winds off the ocean but I have walked around n 70dg weather in Jan also, quite routinely.

The areas you mention I would stick to Wilmington area, wrightsville beach carolina beach. Topsail and hampstead are nice but really are mostly vacation homes and travel trailer parks for folks from inland nc and not as much to offerin those areas.

Hurricanes, how far you evacuate depends n size of storm, and its path. If a storm sweeps inland and dumps loads of rain not much coastal damage but loads of flooding, so that one is hard to say as so many variable there Just have a plan and you should be ok, usually plenty of notice. good luck

Old 04-08-2012, 11:21 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
RIght much of New Bern flooded during the hurricane last fall and we are 45 minutes to an hour from coast. That was a function of wind pushing water up the Neuse for an extended period of time. Folks are right, it just depends where you are, and nature of the storm. Storms passing offshore will have much different effects than those passing inland. Both can, have, and will happen again.

The bottom line is that if you want to live on the coast, I would not let fear of what "might" happen in a hurricane impact disproportionately my decision. I have been in earthquakes in Cali, very near tornados in Iowa, in typhoons in Philippines, and in hurricanes on the east coast. Stuff happens.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:07 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,449 times
In 2004 the North Carolina mountains got 2 feet of rain from a hurricane that came up out of the Gulf. The NC coast remained untouched.
In 1989 Charlotte got whacked by Hurricane Hugo.
Where (and when) to evacuate? As North Beach Person so accurately posted:
Quote:
You won't like this answer:
It depends.
No two storms are alike. A Cat 1 could create more damage than a Cat 2 or 3.
Welcome to the beach!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 PM

116 posts, read 285,968 times
well said Bill. Heck remember Floyd,, it was what a Cat 1 or 2 but had loads of rain so floods but no wind damage. Point folks are sayings is hurricanes are fickle beasts and you have enough warning to prep accordingly. Don't let the aspect of a hurricane deter you. It is just a part of it like quakes are in Cali etc.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Cold winter winds off the water.
Aforementioned storms and their associated costs.
Hey, what are you doing in my forum? I always invade yours....

BTW, the wind blowing off of the ocean in the winter are always warmer than those that blow off of the Chesapeake. Decent snowfalls right along the coast are rare because of this.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 AM

33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Hey, what are you doing in my forum? I always invade yours....

BTW, the wind blowing off of the ocean in the winter are always warmer than those that blow off of the Chesapeake. Decent snowfalls right along the coast are rare because of this.
The question about waterfront living drew me in. And then the hurricane question.

I'll take your word for it but ocean winds always seem damn cold, too.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Biggest downside is the people. I do not care for the people here, especially all the tourists, retirees, and older transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina