U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM

264 posts, read 776,822 times

Advertisements

Mosquitos on the Outer Banks are ridiculous. I've thought of moving west to get better weather, too hot and humid in the summer, less traffic. It would be a huge change from Idaho. I was in Utah and Idaho the last two summers and loved it. Proceed with caution !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebobannie View Post
I think my husband and I need a reality check. We are relocating to the Wilmington/Hampstead/Topsail/Surf City region (we have wiggle room) and are sort of giddy at the idea of purchasing either on the ocean or very close. It has been years since we've lived in a place with hurricanes (Louisiana) so we are probably forgetting all the downsides of coastal living. Can anyone give their input? Right now I am just dreaming of being able to have my morning coffee while looking out on to the ocean....but I do want to make an informed decision. Thanks Annie
For me...

higher insurance costs

crowds in the summer

awful mosquito's and sandflies

having to evacuate for hurricanes and the possible damage or rebuilding one will cause you

corrosion of your vehicles

and finally sand everywhere (in your car, your home, your underwear )

Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM

80 posts, read 159,144 times
Cool Deed Restricted near but not on beach?

We have been looking in Florida. But are there any safe, deed restricted (no RV's trucks, boats, clotheslines in yard) areas within a 20-30 minute drive of the ocean? Don't want to have to pay for flood insurance, Active community with sailing, tennis, good library, etc. no kids are OK. Large lots a must.
Being sailors, we understand what toll sun, sand, and most importantly ocean take on property. So we want to be near the ocean---but definitely not on. After llving through 6 major hurricanes and a flood, that has lost its appeal. If we want to be on, we'll sit on the boat....

Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
As already mentioned, the hurricanes are a disruption and can be scary to go through and a pain after if the power goes out, which it usually does for varied lengths of time. The good part is how the community pulls together and helps out neighbors...

One downside is when the peak tourist season hits and your town fills with happy visitors. I welcome them as they help boost the economy and that's crucial, but at the same, time, it feels as though your tranquil little town has been invaded, it becomes challenging to drive anywhere, lines at the grocery stores become long, and it's hard, if not impossible, to get into your favorite restaurant.

But then Labor Day rolls around and the super busy lively town becomes once again peaceful and reverts to the year-round dwellers for another eight-nine months. It's then that I breathe a sigh of relief to have our town back...

Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin south View Post
But are there any safe, deed restricted (no RV's trucks, boats, clotheslines in yard) areas within a 20-30 minute drive of the ocean? Don't want to have to pay for flood insurance, Active community with sailing, tennis, good library, etc. no kids are OK. Large lots a must.
There are 1/2 acres lots available in Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. Is that large enough? We have most of your requirements, but I'm not sure how good the sailing is in Alligator Bay. We are about 2 miles from the ocean and do not pay for flood insurance. The biggest disadvantage of the community is that the Marines explode things in the night.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
Please keep in mind that a fraction of coastal NC is "beach". And there are plenty of areas where tourist traffic is negligible. It isn't all beach grand strand.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,376 times
I'm considering moving from S. Florida (one block from the ocean) to NC or even SC. insurance here on/near the coast would cost upwards of $10,000/year, partly because of s. Fla's greater vulnera bility to hurricanes and partly because of politics (insurance!).
I like to walk on the ocean and take an occasional dip. I will rent initially to compare the sea with where I've lived for 22 months. I will buy if I like the area.
I'd like to live around a literate, politically informed population. What do you recommend?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
Quote:
I'd like to live around a literate, politically informed population.
Care to elaborate?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Care to elaborate?
I think that's his way of saying liberals.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,250,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I think that's his way of saying liberals.
And that's bad to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina