U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 AM

115 posts, read 225,432 times

Advertisements

In Tarboro's favor, it does appear to have a well-regarded local hospital (from ratings on the Hospital Compare website) and a five-star nursing home (from Nursing Home Compare website). Not unimportant considerations for a rapidly aging baby-boomer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,042,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
I don't see how anyone could live in Greenville but many do. I think its a huge dump with open drug dealing at night.
You paint the whole of Greenville without ever having lived here.

True, Greenville does have it's rough areas. But anyone that been here for a week or longer knows where not to go after dark. The same could be said for literally any town or city in the country. Including Tarboro. About 4 years ago we had a serial gas station/fast food joint robber. He must have hit every place like that in the city. He was a Tarboro resident.

There are many subdivisions in and around Greenville that see little to no crime. Just don't hang out in northwest Greenville after dark or be at a bar at 2 AM and you should be fine.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM

264 posts, read 777,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallop the Spot View Post
In Tarboro's favor, it does appear to have a well-regarded local hospital (from ratings on the Hospital Compare website) and a five-star nursing home (from Nursing Home Compare website). Not unimportant considerations for a rapidly aging baby-boomer!
Wallop, there is a great place to eat in Tarboro called On the Square. The chef lived in NYC and after 9-11 moved to Tarboro with his wife who I think was from there. Google it, people from all over drive there. The hospital there has a good reputation and Raleigh is not too far if you need the big city.

If you want high end check out Albermarle Plantation. Its just about all Northerners, great golf course, gated community with a marina. Its outside of Hertford. I have clients there from NY, Conn, Northern Va, Pa and Maryland.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 AM

264 posts, read 777,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You paint the whole of Greenville without ever having lived here.

True, Greenville does have it's rough areas. But anyone that been here for a week or longer knows where not to go after dark. The same could be said for literally any town or city in the country. Including Tarboro. About 4 years ago we had a serial gas station/fast food joint robber. He must have hit every place like that in the city. He was a Tarboro resident.

There are many subdivisions in and around Greenville that see little to no crime. Just don't hang out in northwest Greenville after dark or be at a bar at 2 AM and you should be fine.
Sorry Richard as I said my son went to school at ECU and one of my best friends from HS in Maryland now lives in Greenville, as I said I go there all the time. I stayed at the City Hotel and Bistro like I normally do in March, went to a Japanese restaurant right on the Blvd and there was drug dealing going on in the parking lot at 8 pm. This is in the heart of the shopping area. Greenville has safe areas to live but places to shop after dark are not safe, not the kind of area I want to live. Greenville is the definition of the dirty south.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,735 times
Can anyone tell me if they think a food truck would do well in the Oak Island, Southport, Wilmington N.C. area. My food is Jersey/N.Y. style from scratch Italian and delicioso!! Does anyone work in or know any of the regulations and or restrictions of the county for board of health?Thanks, Cathy

Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 AM

99 posts, read 236,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseybornoutofplace View Post
Can anyone tell me if they think a food truck would do well in the Oak Island, Southport, Wilmington N.C. area. My food is Jersey/N.Y. style from scratch Italian and delicioso!! Does anyone work in or know any of the regulations and or restrictions of the county for board of health?Thanks, Cathy
I love that type of Italian food. However, I don't think I've ever seen a food truck anywhere in NC (besides at carnivals and fairs). That being said, I'm not sure how well one would do in that area.

I'd imagine that food trucks must undergo the same procedures as restaurants for serving hot and perishable foods.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 AM

11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseybornoutofplace View Post
Can anyone tell me if they think a food truck would do well in the Oak Island, Southport, Wilmington N.C. area. My food is Jersey/N.Y. style from scratch Italian and delicioso!!
You might check whether restaurants succeed which serve this type of food. Offhand, I think it would work in Wilmington with a younger crowd. But from what I have seen in Southport, maybe not. Tastes are fairly conservative, and folks may not be used to using food trucks.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM

116 posts, read 286,205 times
A food truck in Wilmington might work and I think there is one around there. Most of the oens I have seen are in Raleigh or Charlotte. Southport no go I would say. Pretty sleepy small town most of the time with tourist spots on waterfront area. But still a town my family likes.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM

431 posts, read 1,012,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
I love that type of Italian food. However, I don't think I've ever seen a food truck anywhere in NC (besides at carnivals and fairs). That being said, I'm not sure how well one would do in that area.

I'd imagine that food trucks must undergo the same procedures as restaurants for serving hot and perishable foods.
There are actually several food trucks in Wilmington. I saw Poor Piggy's on Market earlier today.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,652,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallop the Spot View Post
Thanks. Will cross Tarboro off my list of possible retirement spots; "economically depressed" doesn't sound very appealing.
Funny you made that comment. I would describe MOST of eastern NC as economically depressed. Of course there are a few exceptions which include areas like Greenville which is a college town and Wilmington which has tourism to support it. Retirement communities are also suffering because many retirees have cut back on what little spending they once did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina