U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,562 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are consdidreing a move from Long Island , NY, to Wilmington NC or the surroundng areas. We recently came back from a visit to wilmington where we met with a realtor and viewed some homes within communities built on golf courses. Everyone must play golf there as their are oodles of golfcourses. Most of the realty we were shown involved an HOA which we are very leary of. These HOA's dont allow you to have your own pool (which we have on long island) or your boat (which we have) on your property there ither. We loved the communities ie Magnolia Greens in Wilmingotn but again we are not allowed to have our own pool/boat on our property which we are already used to up here. Are there any "communiteis" that do allow you to have your pool/boat on your property? We could live with the boat down at the marina year round but a pool is a must with the weather they have down there. Also, in comparison to NY, how much less expensive is it to live down there ie electric during summer/winter, grocery, retail,marina fees etc. Are their any surprises we should know about when it comes to taxes, local and federal etc. We have no idea where the high crime areas are and where not to look for a home. We are totally putting our trust in the realtor and they keep pointing us towads these HOA communities. We are not used to being told what you cant put in your back yard (pool) if you know what i mean? Any info is most welcome as we want to make sure its the right move for us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:53 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,718 times
Smile Some thoughts on your questions & new guide to EI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aine View Post
Hi,
We are consdidreing a move from Long Island , NY, to Wilmington NC or the surroundng areas. We recently came back from a visit to wilmington where we met with a realtor and viewed some homes within communities built on golf courses. Everyone must play golf there as their are oodles of golfcourses. Most of the realty we were shown involved an HOA which we are very leary of. These HOA's dont allow you to have your own pool (which we have on long island) or your boat (which we have) on your property there ither. We loved the communities ie Magnolia Greens in Wilmingotn but again we are not allowed to have our own pool/boat on our property which we are already used to up here. Are there any "communiteis" that do allow you to have your pool/boat on your property? We could live with the boat down at the marina year round but a pool is a must with the weather they have down there. Also, in comparison to NY, how much less expensive is it to live down there ie electric during summer/winter, grocery, retail,marina fees etc. Are their any surprises we should know about when it comes to taxes, local and federal etc. We have no idea where the high crime areas are and where not to look for a home. We are totally putting our trust in the realtor and they keep pointing us towads these HOA communities. We are not used to being told what you cant put in your back yard (pool) if you know what i mean? Any info is most welcome as we want to make sure its the right move for us.
First off, what you see in any given area will depend on your Realtor®, how they well they have understood what you want and the limitations of the area.

I do not have the local knowledge to speak extensively on Wilmington, but there are wide variety of communities and small neighborhoods on the North Carolina coast.

In our area, Cape Carteret, there are homes on the water with pools and ones without pools. Some of the water is deep enough for a skiff, some can handle a much larger boat, some can only handle a kayak.

There are communities with strong HOAs and some don't even have one.

There are communities with pools, homes on the water, and places to store your boat. Some let you have your boat in the driveway or even yard.

We pretty well have something to fit everyone. I would be very surprised to hear that Wilmington has less variety than our area.

The places on the water not in communities have the least restrictions but you still often have to deal with CAMA, but there are a number of communities on the water with minimal restrictions. Usually it is more trouble deciding what kind of water you want than it is finding a community.

We have almost as many kinds of water as there are Eskimo words for snow.

You will find a few communities which make sure your yards are in great shape among other things.

You are right to figure it out well before you decide on a spot. Be blunt with your real estate agent about what you want in a place to live. Some folks don't listen very well, and there are some folks who want to sell particular properties and only those. The vast majority of the agents want to find something that you will love.

Where I live the neighborhood pool (http://coastalnc.org/bluewaterpool - broken link) is just across the road from me, so I much prefer that to my own pool. Since it has very little use, our neighborhood pool is something I really enjoy and can use almost anytime. You should not have too much trouble finding a place where you can have a pool. Lots of the beach homes have pools.

I have a number of websites about our area, you might pick up some tips that could help you in looking in Wilmington.

Southern Outer Banks

I would be glad to recommend someone to help you in Wilmington or give you some suggestions.

Just call or email me

Or if you decide you want to experience the laid back towns of the Crystal Coast instead of a growing metro area, come visit us.

This is a link to my new travel guide for Emerald Isle.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by dsobotta; 09-14-2007 at 09:06 PM..

Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 PM

I forgot to answer your question on taxes and insurance.

I don't have the detailed answer in front of me, but it is in one of my recent posts.

When you add taxes plus insurance including flood since we live on the water, our total costs for similarly a priced home in Carteret County is about 28% cheaper than our home in Roanoke, VA.

Energy costs have been very reasonable. I hope to put together some exact numbers soon since we have just finished our first year here, but I know we use the heat very little on the coast, and we don't use the air conditioning nearly as much as we do the heat in Roanoke. Roanoke also turned out to be hotter than we are most of the time this summer.

We could sleep with windows open through most of June in Carteret County.

The weather is great on the Carolina coast as long as you can get through the storm season in good shape.

Last edited by dsobotta; 09-14-2007 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 AM

190 posts, read 769,321 times
Default What is HOA?

Does that stand for Home Owner's Association?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:10 AM

Yes that is what it means.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:13 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,116,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
Does that stand for Home Owner's Association?
Yes, and everyone is so worried about them for some reason. That's what helps to protect your investment in a retirement neighborhood or apartment community from non-residents who want to rent to transients or to people who want to put in a single wide trailer or park their RV or boat etc in the driveway / yard year 'round. Imagine sitting on your deck in the evening mojito in hand gazing at the sun setting over the neighbor's single wide. While I cringe each month paying, it is the best contribution I've made in the properties I own with my children.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 14,513 times
Hampstead is about 15 miles from Wilmington and I have lived here 8 years. The taxes are lower than New Hanover county and automobile insurance is less because they have more wrecks in Wilmington than any other city in NC. I live in an intracoastal subdivision one block from the waterway with an HOA fishing pier and dock. The dues are only $200.00 per year and you can have a swimming pool or a boat or a camper in your yard. My 8 yr. old home is for sale as I am presently building a new home. If you would like pictures or more information please e-mail me. aemorgan@bellsouth.net

Old 12-19-2007, 11:00 AM

55 posts, read 192,946 times
Hi,

From your description of your situation you might be better off retiring in a regular town, not in some type of active adult community where there will always be HOA's. I am not particularly enchanted with places that have a lot of rules, myself (even though my wife tells me i am the most compulsive rule follower she has ever seen!)

There is a pretty good discussion going on in the Retirement Forum here at City-Data on "Are 55+ neighborhoods friendlier?" that might be instructive about HOA's- Are neighborhoods in 55+ Communities friendlier?

Since you are interested in boating let me suggest a couple of other NC places. New Bern tends to be on the inexpensive side and there is a lot of water there. Morehead City has a lot of marina-type communities, and it is just above one of my favorite towns in NC - Beaufort (not to be confused with Beaufort SC, although it is nice too). I have reviews of these places as retirement towns on my www.topretirements.com site if you want more info. Good luck

Old 12-19-2007, 12:55 PM

39 posts, read 198,566 times
I live in Castle Hayne which is 10 miles from Wilmington. There are plenty of older subdivisions without HOA's. Most of the newer subdivisions have them. I suggest you contact a realtor and tell them exactly what you are looking for.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,294 times

i lv nc. the weather is beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina