U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM

130 posts, read 435,324 times

Advertisements

I am looking to take a beach trip this summer with my wife - no kids. We are looking for a nice quiet area that is not necessarily known as a family resort. We would probably prefer to take the trip during the week to avoid as many crowds as we can. Pretty much up for anything within a 4 or so hour drive from the Triangle area. We want peace and relaxation - think pina coladas and crashing waves. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-09-2012 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Sorry -- questions about the Coast go in the Coastal forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 22,434,611 times
I think all NC beaches are pretty "family friendly" but if you go during the weekdays before school is out for the summer, you're not likely to run into as many kids. Some of the the quieter beaches are up on the Outer Banks like Corolla. Figure 8 Island is pretty quiet and adult-ish too as is Yaupon Beach, Calabash and Oak Island in Brunswick County. At this point in the year, I think you could probably find what you are looking for on any beach in NC. If you go in summer I'd avoid Wrightsville and Carolina beaches and parts of Topsail.

Last edited by lamishra; 04-09-2012 at 12:20 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM

29,793 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think all NC beaches are pretty "family friendly" but if you go during the weekdays before school is out for the summer, you're not likely to run into as many kids. Some of the the quieter beaches are up on the Outer Banks like Corolla. Figure 8 Island is pretty quiet and adult-ish too as is Yaupon Beach, Calabash and Oak Island in Brunswick County. At this point in the year, I think you could probably find what you are looking for on any beach in NC. If you go in summer I'd avoid Wrightsville and Carolina beaches and parts of Topsail.
That is very good advice on what to avoid.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 3,445,967 times
We vacation on Topsial at least once a year. We rent a house a mile or two outside of the "towns". It's not unusual to have 300-500ft of beach all to yourself. Sometimes more! The farther away you are from the Surf City pier, and the town of Topsail, where motels and hotels are, the better.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,396,115 times
First week of June and last week of August will increase your chances of making it child free as traditional calendar schools will be in session then. However, as the previous poster wrote, travel to a less densely populated beach (or skip staying at a large resort) and there will be far fewer children.

Why do you want to avoid children at the beach? The pounding of the surf is loud enough to drown out all but the loudest of children and typically, unless you had children with you the same age, a stranger's children are not going to want to have anything to do with you.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM

132 posts, read 291,932 times
Check out Ocean Isle which is close to Oak Island that someone already suggested. I've stayed at the Winds Resort which has an ocean front pool with a tiki bar and is right on the beach. The resort itself is made up of a few different buildings..ocean front and not ocean front. I stayed on the NOT ocean front side but within a minute walk, I was at pool and/or on the beach. The place is slightly dated but its' access to the beach in this cool island town makes it perfect and the location is far enough down the main road of the island to make it quiet yet you are still close to stores, bars, ice cream, etc.

There were some kids there when we stayed but not many...besides...you can get to the huge beach and isolate yourself with a cooler and some drinks near the "pounding surf". Ocean Isle has a couple of cool marina restaurants/bars that are right on the water with decks and docks, etc. Within very short driving distance are other restaurants, etc.

We did a little bit of everything there....spend a few solid days on beach, hung out at tiki bar and the pool (or both - quick ocean dip, back to tiki bar, etc) We also spent some afternoons/evenings at the marina bars - totally relaxed and left an open agenda.

Now I'm envious and want to book my own get-a-way!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM

906 posts, read 2,127,527 times
I like Emerald Isle. Rent a house that is not next to any large condo complexes and you'll be fine. The busiest times are still not that busy compared to Carolina Beach.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM

132 posts, read 291,932 times
I disagree this post should have been moved here..copied...fine...but this was a post asking TRIANGLE people where they should go with 3-4 hours. Just my two cents.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,636,805 times
Bald head island or Figure 8.

imo the reason there might not be many people on Topsail is because the beach is so darn
narrow , espcially at hi tide.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:11 PM

116 posts, read 286,391 times
Agree Bald Head Island might be what you are looking for. Okracoke or Hatteras further up but does get touristy. Problem is all the beaches in the season are very family oriented. Probably Sunest or Ocean Isle south of Wilmington will be less crowded that the Crystal Coast area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina