U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 PM

6 posts, read 30,206 times

Advertisements

Alright, my wife and I are looking to move to North Carolina here in the next year to year and a half. We are both beach lovers but don't necessarily have to live directly on the beach. We love good local food places and not chain places. Traffic doesn't bother us, nor does heat. I'm 32 and she's 28, so we're still young enough to go out and have fun but old enough to enjoy peace and quiet too.

I was just kind of curious what some pros and cons of Greenville versus Wilmington were. How far away from the beach is Greenville? Anything that anyone can post would be very helpful as we're weighing our options and would love some opinions. We plan on visiting both places in October to get a "hands-on" feel for it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 AM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDrifter View Post
I was just kind of curious what some pros and cons of Greenville versus Wilmington were. How far away from the beach is Greenville?
It would help people respond if you said what kinds of jobs you would be looking for.

Greenville is about 80 miles from Atlantic Beach. Its 1 hour and 48 minutes per Google Maps.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,069,157 times
greenville is not really close to the beach at all

Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 30,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It would help people respond if you said what kinds of jobs you would be looking for.

Greenville is about 80 miles from Atlantic Beach. Its 1 hour and 48 minutes per Google Maps.

Sorry, I'm in retail management(Kroger currently) and she is in tech support(on-site and off).

Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
I can offer a comment from what I have seen on this board. The overwhelming majority of people are looking for help moving to Wilmington. It is like a dream location for many.

Of the people looking to move to Greenville, most have a job already lined up or are going to ECU. So the demand for Greenville seems "underwhelming" to me. However, Greenville has its defenders if you read through the posts.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:16 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,045,486 times
Greenville is centrally located between the beaches and Raleigh. Wilmington's big advantage is sheer size. Having about 50% more population you will have more amenities. About the only area that Greenville has an advantage in is medical care. It has world class cardiac care facilities and the only Level 1 trauma center east of Raleigh. Greenville also has a much larger university in East Carolina University.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 PM

286 posts, read 553,096 times
As much as I love Greenville it is a dump compared to Wilmimgton. Wilm has some of Raleigh's niceties but you are still close to the beach.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
If the beach is your own requirement, then Wilmington is a no-brainer. But I hope you've lined up jobs/housing/etc before taking the plunge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina