Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2022, 12:40 PM

185 posts, read 567,174 times

Advertisements

I know a version of this question has been asked but I’m struggling to find a cohesive answer. Are there any other areas in coastal NC, other than the Wilmington area, that you would consider good for living and raising kids? Meaning decent schools, safe and not economically depressed, kids activities (in addition to going to the ocean), ok shopping and family activities, etc. Both parents are self employed/work from home so jobs aren’t a requirement for us but I don’t want to move our kids somewhere that won’t have anything for them when they grow up. I suspect the answer is that Wilmington is about it but I thought I’d still ask. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 01:08 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Couple of questions...how close to the beach do want to be? Does Wilmington not work for you?

Old 12-08-2022, 01:29 PM

Hi, Owen. We’d like to be as close as possible. I’d say no more than 15 minutes or so. It’s not that Wilmington doesn’t work for us. We actually really love downtown Wilmington and Carolina and Kure beaches and my husband is rooting for the Hampstead area. I can’t really say what my hesitation is (other than we likely won’t be able to get the 2ish acres we’d like to have) I just have this unnamed concern about moving there and was curious if anywhere else on the coast might be an option.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:51 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
I will recommend looking at the Jacksonville area. You could have 2 acres in Richlands, but be about 30-40 minutes from the beach. Or you could look at Swansboro, Beaufort, Cape Carteret and Newport to be closer to the beach. They are safe and have good to excellent schools. The economy is supported by the Marine Corps and tourism. The negative is that these towns do not have the beauty, history and culture that Wilmington has.

Old 12-08-2022, 03:19 PM

Goldenage1, thank you for your suggestions. I don't know if Jacksonville appeals to us but some of the other towns you listed might have potential. I guess I'm hoping to find some balance between enough stuff for our kids while still allowing us to have the space we'd like without being somewhere that's dangerous.

Old 12-09-2022, 06:58 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
You seem to be asking for sophisticated amenities for the kids, and future job opportunities. Is your ideal place more like the Triangle?
BTW, there are developments in Hampstead with acreage. Whitebridge is one example, but it is expensive. One house with 2+ acres is selling for $950K.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:47 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Typically Carteret County is the other good option for those with kids, but there is a bit of a remoteness factor there. Shopping, entertainment, etc is more neighborhood oriented. I know of some folks that commuted to Wilmington for travel soccer for example...hour and half each way from Cape Carteret area.

Swansboro has seen some nice growth and seems to be have a nice small town community feel.

Give up on 2 acres...you are buying close to the Ocean, where prices for land are increased the closer you get to the water. And many times, you don't want to live 30 minutes inland because its rural farmland, low income areas.

Brunswick County is increasingly seeing more families because Wilmington is growing more regionally. Leland and Southport are the main suggestions for those with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina