U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 PM

784 posts, read 1,634,126 times

Advertisements

Missnancy, we, of course, live in SJP. Moved here from NJ about a year ago. Looked at many of the other plantations in the area including Ocean Ridge. No question in my mind which has better stability financials-wise and amenity-wise.... it's SJP. They are building homes all over the place here and your goal of building a brand new 2500 + sq ft home on a nice .40 acre lot for under $450k is being done here all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
My advice to ANYONE moving to the coast is to INVEST SEVERAL WEEKS in your future.

Many folks move down here for "cheap living," and end up hating it.

Spend some time down here. Yeah we have cheap housing (I guess) but we have bugs, snakes, other insects, oppressive heat, and how do I put it, our share of rednecks. Zoning is not all that great so if you are not in a "plantation or something, you might be, well just say, embarrassed. Oak Island comes to mind.

Additionally, I have lived on the island and the ocean is a little murky from the Cape Fear River. It cannot compare to the area around Emerald Isle in regards to pretty water, but you don't pay as much, either.

Please spend more than an internet search, or just a quick weekend before you change your life.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM

784 posts, read 1,634,126 times
Once again we obviously have another very unhappy camper telling others how unhappy they are down here.... when all they really have to do is move and live somewhere else where they WILL be happy..... but I suspect that place may not exist.

On the contrary..... WE are very happy here along with many, many other transplants..... AND, I would suggest that ANY semi-intelligent person would do more homework than ONLY posting on a public forum a few times.... and not just listen to the aforementioned rant on bugs, snakes, "red necks" and such...... BTW LLN, you forgot to mention it rains occasionally down here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina