U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM

31 posts, read 47,702 times

Advertisements

I've been scouring the forum for all Greenville/Winterville info, so thanks to everyone putting it up here.

It looks like we will be relocating to the area in the near future, I'll be working right near Town Common park and my wife will be working over near the hospital. We visited the area a few weeks ago and were pleasantly surprised (after reading many negative comments on here) by the housing options and development in the area.

There were many subdivisions that we think we could be comfortable with, but I'm a bit concerned about the "reality" of the floodplain maps. Some subdivisions have properties bordered by the floodplain or have the floodplain encroaching on the backyard of some of the homes. That worries me about the value of the entire subdivision. Am I overreacting to this? Did they overestimate the flood maps for safety's sake?

Just trying to weigh all options and know exactly what we are in for. Not sure if I can name subdivisions here, but we found a couple specifically at the intersection of Firetower and Old Tar, that we loved. They have homes that aren't touched by the floodplain, but a couple blocks away homes in the same subdivision are. We may rent to start out, although we aren't in love with the idea.

Also, as far as schools go, we've seen so many varying opinions. Seems like Chicod gets high marks, Hope Middle as well, but the high schools are all over the place. South Central is new, yet has low marks, Conley seemed like the highest ranked, but looks run down, and I just heard from a good source that Rose is the HS to go to???

Any info re: the true impact or interpretation of the flood maps and first hand opinions on the schools would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM

451 posts, read 1,690,035 times
I would say the floodmaps give a good indication of areas for potential flooding during a hurricane. Keep in mind, though, that they probably show the 100 year flood which, as the name suggests, is a rare occurrence.

When looking for a home around here, i'd also look at the USGS quadrangle maps to see if the potential house is near a blue-line stream. If the house is near one, i'd be concerned enough to see the general topography of the lot in comparison to the elevation of the stream bed. If it seems low-lying, i'd look elsewhere.

In general, however, if you are looking in Pitt County, the areas south of the Tar River are higher elevation and are much less prone to flooding. Winterville, for example, is mostly 60-70 feet above sea level.

I have a swale in my back yard that can back up during an intense rain event, but the water is gone within a day. Even during Irene, I had no concern of flooding (I live in Winterville).

Good luck with the move. Reading these boards make this area seem worse than it is, although a lot of the gripes are legitimate. Most of the frustration comes from people who realize that the community could offer so much more but for some reason doesn't.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,049,419 times
Generally, the areas that would get flooded, in a big way, did get flooded by Floyd back in 1997. They were identified and pretty much abandoned. Any homes that were destroyed were not allowed to be rebuilt and no new building permits are allowed in those areas.

There have been several hurricanes since then with nowhere near the effects that occurred during Floyd. Most of the damage in this area is caused by 100 year old trees falling. And a whole lot of them got wiped out last year. Ayden looked like a war occurred there. The only reason we saw flooding of biblical proportions during Floyd was because the damns upstream towards Raleigh were opened up to relieve pressure there. They had a choice. Flood Raleigh or flood Greenville.

You hit on the educational system pretty good. The pick for parents that are looking for the best public education is The Chicod School (elementary and middle combined) and then DH Conley. Hope Middle is a good school too but you can't attend Chicod Elementary and then go to Hope without moving. JH Rose has the same problem. The elementary and middle schools that feed it aren't great.

You can't look at the physical appearance of a school and tell what's going on inside of it. If you think DH Conley is bad then don't go near Chicod.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You can't look at the physical appearance of a school and tell what's going on inside of it. If you think DH Conley is bad then don't go near Chicod.
LOL! We actually drove down to Chicod and took back roads, which were very "country" it was kind of a culture shock and you are right about the look of the school. At the time I had forgotten about the renovations to Chicod and didn't explore more. The next day we took 43 down and saw the development spreading that way, including Wheaton Village, which was beautiful.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,408,281 times
Manchester sub-division is right across the street from So. Central H.S. & a lot of hospital Personnel live there. The homes are very affordable also.

Good luck on your search, it is a very nice area to live in.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Manchester sub-division is right across the street from So. Central H.S. & a lot of hospital Personnel live there. The homes are very affordable also.

Good luck on your search, it is a very nice area to live in.
Thank you, I remember liking that area as well.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,567 times
"I've been scouring the forum for all Greenville/Winterville info, so thanks to everyone putting it up here.

It looks like we will be relocating to the area in the near future, I'll be working right near Town Common park and my wife will be working over near the hospital. We visited the area a few weeks ago and were pleasantly surprised (after reading many negative comments on here) by the housing options and development in the area.

There were many subdivisions that we think we could be comfortable with, but I'm a bit concerned about the "reality" of the floodplain maps. Some subdivisions have properties bordered by the floodplain or have the floodplain encroaching on the backyard of some of the homes. That worries me about the value of the entire subdivision. Am I overreacting to this? Did they overestimate the flood maps for safety's sake?

Just trying to weigh all options and know exactly what we are in for. Not sure if I can name subdivisions here, but we found a couple specifically at the intersection of Firetower and Old Tar, that we loved. They have homes that aren't touched by the floodplain, but a couple blocks away homes in the same subdivision are. We may rent to start out, although we aren't in love with the idea.

Also, as far as schools go, we've seen so many varying opinions. Seems like Chicod gets high marks, Hope Middle as well, but the high schools are all over the place. South Central is new, yet has low marks, Conley seemed like the highest ranked, but looks run down, and I just heard from a good source that Rose is the HS to go to???

Any info re: the true impact or interpretation of the flood maps and first hand opinions on the schools would be much appreciated. "

There is nothing pretty about the schools in Pitt Co. I personally went to Rose 203-2007 and it has some really great teachers and a lot of AP class offerings, which I highly recommend. HOWEVER, it is not located in a good area. The surrounding neighborhoods provide a student population that is not ideal to say the least. There were multiple "lockdowns" while I was a student. I would not recommend it as the top choice because I feel it has been going downhill since I left. Some of the "historic" teachers have since retired. Rose used to be the best, Conley is now top choice. If, God forbid, I had to do high school again, I would choose Conley. You might as well completely disregard the appearance of the schools, they all leak and smell no matter how new or old they are; part of flat roofs, smelly teenagers, and living in ENC where it's damp almost 365 days a year. I had a lot of friends from middle school who went to Conley. It has good teachers and a growing AP selection. There is almost no worry about the inner city activities that happen at and around Rose. I have heard great things about Chicod from friends with children. I'd rather deal with "country folk" than "ghetto folk" in this area any day of the week from first hand social experiences, especially as a teenager. Winterville and Southeast Greenville is a very nice area and has been up and coming for the last 10-15 years. Anywhere North of the the river is a no-no. West of Greenville is Farmville, which is exactly what it sounds like. I would recommend the Bells Fork/Winterville parts of Greenville. So, to make a long story short, Chicod and Conley hands down.

As far as flooding... people are still building in flood zones, especially college student housing. Whoever wants cheap land to build cheap houses and make a great profit builds their stuff on the low lying land, which is in abundance since we are just about at sea level. I figure I can tell the "cheaper" subdivisions are the ones that only bother to put a couple windows in a house and only have brick on the front facade. I lived here when Floyd hit and I am glad we were in the middle of Greenville, but ALL services were cut off for 2+ weeks and tons of people were displaced, so we left for a couple of weeks. All schools were closed for at least that long. I would say when looking for property, eyeball the neighborhood yourself and the yards of the houses. You can sort of tell just by taking a good look around at the landscape. As far as the previous comment about 100-year-floods, they can happen any year. All it takes is the right hurricane on the right path for the right amount of time. So I would not consider any number of year flood zone safe ever, by any means. Or at least have flood insurance, and an emergency plan.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM

3,288 posts, read 5,443,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanineandMike View Post
I've been scouring the forum for all Greenville/Winterville info, so thanks to everyone putting it up here.

Any info re: the true impact or interpretation of the flood maps and first hand opinions on the schools would be much appreciated.
Hello, the help I'm offering will be very general for I'm limited on time. I personally love the subdivisions between Firetower and Old Tarr (the names are Paramore, White Oak Creek, ********, South Hall, and Shamrock.), I believe they are assigned to South Central High School (I atteneded this school so if you have any questions about it you can ask me) but I'm not completely sure, but Rose is one of the top schools in the nation it's only considered bad because it's the only inner-city school in Pitt County. I Can't speak on Middle Schools, I know Hope is pretty new. I also don't know much about Flood Plains but I'm almost 99.9% sure the neighborhoods around Firetower and Old Tar aren't in the flood plain, that's typically around Downtown, 5th, 10th Streets, etc so I wouldn't worry.

I hope this general info has helped,have a nice day and enjoy our city.

Last edited by BMORE; 05-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: I don't know why they keep doing this "********" when I'm trying to type A s h c r o f t

Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,049,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
but I'm not completely sure, but Rose is one of the top schools in the nation
I'd have to see proof of this. I know you said you're not completely sure and it's a good thing you qualified that statement. Rose isn't even close to one of the top schools in North Carolina, let alone the nation. JH Rose ranks 442 in the state. There are 597 high schools in the state. DH Conley ranks 196.

North Carolina State High Schools - NC School Rankings

Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM

320 posts, read 498,407 times
Minor point but Floyd was in 1999.

I always thought Rose was a good school but that was an opinion formed over 10 years ago. I think Conley has gotten better. I always had an impression that the school system in Greenville was good in the high school level but not so much for elementary and middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina