U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,514,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That's actually an extremely poor comparison.

In a 2005 study, Dare County had a effective daytime seasonal population in excess of 220,000 people. It can be safely assumed that millions of people visit Dare County every summer.

That accounts for only 3 months out of the year, the rest of the year those stores are largely deserted while having to stay open and staffed. The situation on the beach in Dare County is like having a temporary metro area of 200-250k for a quarter, then it reverts to a rural dead zone the rest of the time. The New Bern metro has a permanent population of 120-130k in addition to the tourists who pass through on the way south. I should also add that at the time the Tanger outlet in Nags Head was opened, the outer banks were a much more downmarket tourist destination.

Are you telling me at minimum hundreds of thousands don't pass by New Bern to get to Morehead City or Emerald Isle every summer? They're sticking that mall out in the boonies off 70 for a reason. Maybe it's a bad idea, maybe not. Weyerhaeuser's been in the real estate business for a while; obviously somebody there saw some potential in the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
New Bern's average household income in 2009 was only $29,806, a very small increase in 9 years from 2000's $29,139. The per capita income is $21,019 or about $10 an hour at a full time job. Brooks Brothers won't be opening a store there.
By comparison the per capita income in Smithfield is $18k. You really think those folks are the ones buying factory second Brooks Brothers suits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,532,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
By comparison the per capita income in Smithfield is $18k. You really think those folks are the ones buying factory second Brooks Brothers suits?
The Smithfiled outlets have residents of the greater Raleigh area who support them. Growing up in Cary, we'd always take day trips out to Smithfield which is only 40 minutes away. Of course this was before the new Tanger outlets opened. Many residents of Clayton regularly shop at the Smithfield outlets as well. They have an average family income of over 50k.

I can't see tourists who are trying to get to Morehead city from Raleigh shopping in New Bern. They already have better restaurants/stores/movie theaters in the Raleigh area. Why waste vacation time shopping there?

I don't think New Bern can support this new development. Hopefully it will, but I just don't see it.

They would have been better off building this development towards Havelock near Taberna/Carolina Colors.

That area could use the amenities plus there are some people who live there with money.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:19 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,514,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
The Smithfiled outlets have residents of the greater Raleigh area who support them. Growing up in Cary, we'd always take day trips out to Smithfield which is only 40 minutes away. Of course this was before the new Tanger outlets opened. Many residents of Clayton regularly shop at the Smithfield outlets as well. They have an average family income of over 50k.
That's my point though. It's useless to argue that these places can't be sustained by a local population below $X per capita income when they're not meant for local yokels. The area surrounding New Bern does have some population with $X income along with whatever number of people who drive past there every summer, which would be why Weyerhaeuser decided to dump a bunch of money (plus whatever tax kickbacks they get) in the place.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:00 PM

505 posts, read 2,264,007 times
So I drove by there today...just cleared trees??? lol...is this project dead like all the others announced in New Bern the past 5 years?

Somebody told me today that Macy's will be the anchor??? any truth?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,060,820 times
I foresee some relocation of existing businesses when this thing does get off the ground, which will be bad for New Bern as a whole.

I don't ever see this being a regional destination for shopping...They seem to billing this thing as being bigger than it really will be. And making folks drive to another area of town for "same" commercial is bad for the community.

I hope I'm wrong and they can attract "new" businesses, but I just don't see it. New Bern has a good amount of commercial for its actual size...and it needs to support the existing commercial and work on continuing to revitalize its downtown. Weyerhauser has a tendency to look out for itself and not think about the overall effect its project may have on the local community.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM

451 posts, read 1,639,456 times
From what I've read, I think a production studio and movie theater are slated for the development. Think I saw it on the Craven Thirty website.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:15 PM
LLN

4,912 posts, read 8,352,677 times
Apparently it has been derailed or delayed by something doing with storm water drainage.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:55 PM

505 posts, read 2,264,007 times
Yeah...I can see this project...IF it happens...killing hwy 17...lowes will eventually flee...wal mart will flee...everything. Why would you want another shopping hub anywhere other than downtown New Bern??? They need to get rid of those dump projects...(and I don't care what anyone thinks by this comment) they could bulldoze craven terrace and trent court and put this development there! Those projects are not good for anyone...including the people that live there. They could build it with a more historic theme. Please dont think the above was a racist comment...I truly believe getting rid of the projects is best for everyone. I am not positive of the solution I admit...but those areas are really a black eye for New Bern. Could you imagine if that project could some how move close to downtown??? Even Bridgeton would be good.

But for its current proposed location. If it comes...you will have the people from New Bern...who go to Jacksonville and Greenville...many will decide to shop in New Bern more. You will have people from Kinston if the stores are good. But Havelock is the key. Havelock and New Bern really are the same when considering population. this puts New Bern over 50,000 people. People are so stuck on New Bern's population of 29,000. This does NOT include Havelock...Trent Woods, Bridgeton, and River Bend. I think it includes James City though. This puts the population much closer to 60,000...plus craven county and Jones county which puts the population closer to 100,000.

I know downtown New Bern is not realistic for this development...but I believe the perfect location would have been in eastern James City...just my two cents.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,060,820 times
Problem with James City area is you are getting into the floodplain...in reality the Weyerhauser site is not a bad one for developing and it does have good road access with the links to 17 as well as 70.

I don't have a problem with the location, it is not far from the other exits in New Bern or downtown...what I question is the demand. Mayfaire in Wilmington has struggled a bit, but at least you have the credit them for expanding the retail options in Wilmington. If the market can't support other stores, then its not good for New Bern as a whole, IMO.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,566,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Yeah...I can see this project...IF it happens...killing hwy 17...lowes will eventually flee...wal mart will flee...everything. Why would you want another shopping hub anywhere other than downtown New Bern??? They need to get rid of those dump projects...(and I don't care what anyone thinks by this comment) they could bulldoze craven terrace and trent court and put this development there! Those projects are not good for anyone...including the people that live there. They could build it with a more historic theme. Please dont think the above was a racist comment...I truly believe getting rid of the projects is best for everyone. I am not positive of the solution I admit...but those areas are really a black eye for New Bern. Could you imagine if that project could some how move close to downtown??? Even Bridgeton would be good.

But for its current proposed location. If it comes...you will have the people from New Bern...who go to Jacksonville and Greenville...many will decide to shop in New Bern more. You will have people from Kinston if the stores are good. But Havelock is the key. Havelock and New Bern really are the same when considering population. this puts New Bern over 50,000 people. People are so stuck on New Bern's population of 29,000. This does NOT include Havelock...Trent Woods, Bridgeton, and River Bend. I think it includes James City though. This puts the population much closer to 60,000...plus craven county and Jones county which puts the population closer to 100,000.

I know downtown New Bern is not realistic for this development...but I believe the perfect location would have been in eastern James City...just my two cents.

But outside of Carolina Pines (which has a New Bern address anyway) and maybe Tucker Creek most of Havelock goes to Jacksonville or Morehead to shop. Or even past New Bern to Greenville. Yeah a site in JamesCity may have redirected some of those dollars, but not at it's current location. If people don't keep going where they've always gone they'll likely drive by it on their way to Raleigh or Smithfield. I don't see anything to make it a destination over the alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or