U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 PM

219 posts, read 789,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I know the waiting is the hardest part. You probably feel like your life is on hold.
Sheena,
It is hard and very depressing.
We know if we had put the house up last year we would have been in NC right NOW. If is a big word.
We are still holding out hope but reality is setting in. We will probably be stuck here for the winter and hope the spring sees the housing market changes.
We do have one last thing we can try and we will be doing that next week.
We keep praying and I think our buried St Joseph statue is beginning to rot from being in the ground so long.
Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:28 AM

4,299 posts, read 13,642,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
Sheena,
It is hard and very depressing.
We know if we had put the house up last year we would have been in NC right NOW. If is a big word.
We are still holding out hope but reality is setting in. We will probably be stuck here for the winter and hope the spring sees the housing market changes.
We do have one last thing we can try and we will be doing that next week.
We keep praying and I think our buried St Joseph statue is beginning to rot from being in the ground so long.
Dennis

I know we had so many if's too with our move but it is what it is and you will sell your house. I can't wait to see you start a new thread here that says you sold your house. It wil happen!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
First I guess I cannot imagine why anyone would want to move to Shallotte; but.... the job market in the area for clerical in which I would include bookkeeping, payroll, admin., etc., from what I have seen "is not" good, and the pay at best on the high end is "$11.00" an hour. If you are a waitress during the "season", I"m told you can make a large sum of money IF you are willing to work any and all kinds of hours, and even be on call. These employers seem to like the, "on call" status. By the way, no, I have never worked here, wouldn't accept the jobs they have to offer; my daughter has through the summer just to make good money as a waitress, and I know how she and others were treated; not to mention the customers. I ? am accustomed to a more professional background and people. I think the place is like a peyton place, and intend to leave it to the druggies, drunks, and deralects as soon as possible; thank goodness my daughter has already gone. Why would you come here? The ocean? Find a nice place to go, geez. They can hire anybody here to do manual labor, and they will hire them over your husband who may be very good at what he does; just to save a buck.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:06 PM

51 posts, read 135,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Hicks View Post
First I guess I cannot imagine why anyone would want to move to Shallotte; but.... the job market in the area for clerical in which I would include bookkeeping, payroll, admin., etc., from what I have seen "is not" good, and the pay at best on the high end is "$11.00" an hour. If you are a waitress during the "season", I"m told you can make a large sum of money IF you are willing to work any and all kinds of hours, and even be on call. These employers seem to like the, "on call" status. By the way, no, I have never worked here, wouldn't accept the jobs they have to offer; my daughter has through the summer just to make good money as a waitress, and I know how she and others were treated; not to mention the customers. I ? am accustomed to a more professional background and people. I think the place is like a peyton place, and intend to leave it to the druggies, drunks, and deralects as soon as possible; thank goodness my daughter has already gone. Why would you come here? The ocean? Find a nice place to go, geez. They can hire anybody here to do manual labor, and they will hire them over your husband who may be very good at what he does; just to save a buck.
Is the Shallotte area a high crime area? I plan on moving into the Rivers Edge community and while I was down there I did not see anything not to like about the area. Everyone I met was friendly and were glad to be living there. Maybe you should move to a nicer area of Shallotte.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:03 PM

76 posts, read 337,484 times
it always amazes me to hear you northern folks saying things like 'you would be lucky to make $11 an hour'. I make $9.20 an hour at my job here- just outside of shallotte- and I'm very grateful for it. there are lots of folks here making less.

and yes, there are drugs here. you do have to be careful which area you choose to live, and very careful when you are shopping.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,477 times
I moved to the shallotte area 2 years ago and I am in the medical field and did not find it hard to get a job before my liceances was being renewed for this state and my husband an auto tech and he to found work. my hourly wage went up 2$ more an hr compared to living in Arkansas. we rented at first, rent is high and it is cheaper to buy. and we did purchase a home with our payments being cheaper than rent. I love it here! good luck.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,869 times
Default looking for printing opportunities in Shalotte

My wife and I are looking to move to southern NC and have fallen in love with Shalotte. How can I find out if their are any local print shops in the area for employment? Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 AM

76 posts, read 337,484 times
type in 'print shop shallotte nc' in google maps. I found about eight in brunswick county. there are about a billion in wilmington, if you are willing to drive that far.

If you have children, be ready to send them to a private school. at least visit the high school there before deciding if you are willing to send your kids there. Its pretty terrible. someone else mentioned that you should pick a 'nicer' area of shallotte, which is true, but your children will be exposed to the nastiness. I was shocked by a crack pipe found in the bathroom, filled for sharing, in the middle school. then, a girl was selling 'favors' on the bus. middle school.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,869 times
kateyk12, thank you so much for your reply. All our kids are grown with familis of their own, so the school issue should not affect us, however I do find your response quite shocking. Where would the'nicer' area be? I will certainly check out your tips.
normie

Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM

214 posts, read 736,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie92 View Post
kateyk12, thank you so much for your reply. All our kids are grown with familis of their own, so the school issue should not affect us, however I do find your response quite shocking. Where would the'nicer' area be? I will certainly check out your tips.
normie
Since schools are not an issue for you, have you considered enlisting the aid of a Realtor who is a Buyers Agent, who knows the market well, doesn't rely on hearsay information, and deals strictly with the current facts of the market.
Shallotte and the surrounding coastal regions are quite beautiful and the quality of life is quite unique in that it is a slower pace, however, you are mid-way between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, both with major airports.
I don't have a clue what your price range is, but that will be the determining factor for you, also keep in mind the closer to the coast, the more expensive.
There are many wonderful opportunities for Home Buyers now, if you haven't visited the area, come on down. If you need specific answers to your questions, ask away.
As for safe areas, your local police department, is the best source of information regarding crime, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina