U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,446,853 times

Advertisements

Wilmington is a smaller city but is not near a "metro/urban area"; there really aren't any "cities" of that description on the NC coast. Myrtle beach, SC is kind of a beach city but that's not the same as being a "city city". Greenville is the largest but it's more of a large college town with a nice new medical center. Have you looked near Virginia beach/Norfolk VA?

Partly due to hurricanes (which are not so common, but when they hit, it's bad), there aren't really any big urban cities on the Southeast Coast. Maybe you could describe about what sort of "nearby city" you're thinking of ("something like ____")

I think Ft Myers probably fits what you describe the best of those 3, but if you've definitely narrowed it to these three, a visit to each to see the lay of the land is the best way, since something might look good on paper/online but you could hate it as soon as you see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM

11 posts, read 22,865 times
Default Of these 3- Charleston

If those are your main three, I'd suggest Charleston. You sound younger & both ILM & Fort Myers are more retiree, slower metro areas over Charleston which is itself a more 'mid-sized' metro area that the other 2 (both smaller). We've lived in ILM for 7 years after similarly considering other coastal SE cities, and are planning to leave. $$$ is pretty bad, hi unemployment, and a general malaise of 'status quo' living. Not the most progressive or culturally forward place in the state, let alone the region. We've had a few friends who've left post-economic downturn; and Charleston, Atlanta, Norfolk/Hampton Roads, & Richmond seem to be more optimistic for work/jobs, etc.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,827 times
Atlanta????? NO, no, no, no, no!
Atlanta, as of July, was #6 on the Top 10 List of Cities for foreclosures. Unemployment here is ridiculously absurd. When the international terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport had a job fair for staffing positions for the restaurants, boutiques, and other service jobs, there were thousands of people that stood in line for these jobs. Some of them included people with Master's Degrees, willing to work a retail job, because they needed jobs.

Atlanta is a beautiful city. There is so much to see and do and experience here. It's just that right now, it's in a real economic downturn. If you've got a job, are retired, and don't have any financial worries, then by all means, you will do well here. If you're just moving here and plan on flying by the seat of your pants, convinced you'll land a job in no time? LMAO! Yeah, right. Be prepared. Plan.

When Lockheed Martin does get around to issuing their pinkslips, the plant in Marietta, GA is going to take a huge hit. Last I heard, around 500 workers were going to be laid off. That's a huge hit for Atlanta's economy.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,047,749 times
If you like sprawl then you'll love Ft. Myers. There are a whole slew of "cities" right there with Ft Myers. It's kinda like a mini Los Angeles. It goes from one to the next. You have Port Charlotte, Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, Bonita Springs and Naples all together. There is a small amount of distance from Port Charlotte to the others but it still seems like they're all together. Unemployment is high, Spanish is a required language, the fire ants are brutal and there's tons of foreclosures.

When my wife and I were looking for our "retirement" home, Ft. Myers was not on the list of possible places. And that is despite the fact that my sister lives there. It would be nice to have a very close relative nearby but we just couldn't get over the facts about the area. Did I mention hurricanes? They had 2 or 3 in a few weeks a few years ago. It got so bad there that my sister got dysentary from drinking bad water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina