Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times

Advertisements

A few weeks old but relevant to those considering relocating...

Work to start in November on bridges filling in Wilmington Bypass | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News

Basically they are opening the next section in the fall which will connect 74 to 17 but leave a gap from 74 to 421. That gap will be done in two different contracts, all of which will be done by 2018. One of those contracts is signed (the one involving bridges), the other is to be signed in the spring.

Rumors that they are looking into a Cape Fear Memorial Bridge replacement instead of the Skyway...which could have a drastic effect on downtown Wilmington. What I have heard is that the bridge may go toward 421 (Carolina Beach Rd) and away from Wooster and Dawson St. There is Causeway widening also on the books so maybe it would all be put together, but I would opine AFTER the bypass is complete in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:03 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times
For the visual people, like me

Old 10-04-2013, 07:07 PM

I have a question about 74/76. It is limited access east of Mt Misery Road, but there is a little over a mile from that interchange and the new bypass interchange. Will 74/76 eventually become limited access as well, between those two interchanges?

Old 10-06-2013, 05:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
re: Cape Fear Skyway / Bridge replacement

I heard that the EPA has a proposal ... they want NCDOT to build a bridge that connects Carolina Beach Road (at Greenfield Lake .. the 3rd St / Burnett Blvd intersection) northwest across the river, to 74/76.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
re: Cape Fear Skyway / Bridge replacement

I heard that the EPA has a proposal ... they want NCDOT to build a bridge that connects Carolina Beach Road (at Greenfield Lake .. the 3rd St / Burnett Blvd intersection) northwest across the river, to 74/76.
I guess Burnett Blvd interchange is the only unbuilt area near the river.

I wish all parties could come to an agreement to connect the bridge to Shipyard Blvd. That is already a major east/west connector. But the Ports already have built in that area.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I guess Burnett Blvd interchange is the only unbuilt area near the river.

I wish all parties could come to an agreement to connect the bridge to Shipyard Blvd. That is already a major east/west connector. But the Ports already have built in that area.
Dropping off at Burnett/CB Rd/3rd St always made more sense than the current Wooster/Dawson set-up. It will cost some more to run the road/bridge down to there, but would be a viable replacement option for the CF Memorial Bridge. And there appears to be enough land (may lose Optimist Park) to allow exit/entrance ramps. Then you can reclaim the land where the CF bridge was for riverfront development and use Greenfield Lake and CB road as your entrance corridor for going south. MLK is your north entrance. And Wooster and Dawson can go to two way streets and the neighborhoods could be reclaimed.

I have always been a proponent of this and any future I-140 extension into southern New Hanover County be much further south, like Sanders Rd, which would also bring interstate access closer to Southport/Oak Island area.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Dropping off at Burnett/CB Rd/3rd St always made more sense than the current Wooster/Dawson set-up. It will cost some more to run the road/bridge down to there, but would be a viable replacement option for the CF Memorial Bridge. And there appears to be enough land (may lose Optimist Park) to allow exit/entrance ramps. Then you can reclaim the land where the CF bridge was for riverfront development and use Greenfield Lake and CB road as your entrance corridor for going south. MLK is your north entrance. And Wooster and Dawson can go to two way streets and the neighborhoods could be reclaimed.

I have always been a proponent of this and any future I-140 extension into southern New Hanover County be much further south, like Sanders Rd, which would also bring interstate access closer to Southport/Oak Island area.
I don't see Cape Fear Memorial Bridge getting replaced anytime soon, outside of something dramatic.

There does seem to be plenty of room between Greenfield Creek and the southern end of that section of the Port. A bridge there would already be raised, so Port operations could still use the underside of the bridge.

But I still think a larger connector road would need to be extended from CB Road/Burnett, to at least 17th St, near the hospital. If not all the way to College Road. I am thinking from a free-flowing traffic standpoint.

I agree as well to your last point. A bridge instead connecting to Myrtle Grove's main interchange would be even more desirable. If I am coming from Raleigh towards Carolina Beach or Southport, I could talk I-140 all the way around Wilmington, which would reduce the traffic demands on College Road.

Plus it would spur development there, and work its way back north, towards the Downtown proper.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:04 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Will this ever connect to I 140? That would be a huge timesaver for those going south!!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Will what connect to I-140? The freeway between 74 & 17? Or the Cape Fear Skyway? Or something else?

Here is a map on Wikipedia showing the current/proposed route. This shows the 74/17 section is apart of it, which it is.

If you take the wikipedia article as gospel, then there is talk about extending I-140 from the future terminus of US17 to Independence Blvd, via the Cape Fear Skyway. I personally don't see how they CAN'T extend 140 to the Skyway, if it is indeed built.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Yes..that is what I meant....what the dotted line is showing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina