U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,320 times

Advertisements

We are from Pittsburgh, PA. I've been trying to talk my husband into moving somewhere warmer and near a beach for a couple years. It's always been my dream. I think he's finally on board We were considering N or S Carolina but have settled on North. We know NOTHING about the area though so need lots of help on towns.

I definitely want to be near the beach. Within 30 minutes. Does that put us at risk for hurricanes? I'm not sure how often those occur. I'd also probably like to be in southern NC, because I'd be thrilled to never see snow again. We're looking for low crime, decent schools, family friendly, lots of recreational stuff, employment opportunities, etc. My husband is in the remodeling business. We aren't rich by any means so towns with expensive rent/a high cost of living won't work for us. Finally, I'm not interested in a farm town or something tiny. I don't want a huge confusing 8 lane highway all the time city either..just something with good shopping, restaurants, parks, and so on.

If anyone could help us out I'd really appreciate it! We want to start looking for employment and housing soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM

99 posts, read 236,132 times
The problem with Eastern NC is that the job market is pretty bad anywhere you go. It's great for retirees, but bad for those seeking employment.

If you want to live only 30 minutes from the beach, yes, you will definitely be at risk for hurricanes. Actually, the further east of Raleigh you get, the higher the risk. However, NC doesn't seem to get hit by major hurricanes as much as Florida.

Wilmington is a nice town that definitely fits your "good shopping, restaurants, parks, etc." requirement. The crime rate isn't high, but it isn't low either. There are some other smaller towns near Wilmington, but for major shopping or restaurants, you will have to drive.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 11,320 times
I was looking into Wilmington before you replied actually. I read a lot of good things about it, and a lot about hurricanes too. I can handle having to evacuate every once in a while. I read a good storm hits once every few years. But..are these storms that are probably going to ruin our home and belongings or what?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:17 PM

99 posts, read 236,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratt713 View Post
I was looking into Wilmington before you replied actually. I read a lot of good things about it, and a lot about hurricanes too. I can handle having to evacuate every once in a while. I read a good storm hits once every few years. But..are these storms that are probably going to ruin our home and belongings or what?
Probably not. The main thing that causes damage during a hurricane is the flooding. If you find a home on higher ground that isn't right beside creeks or a river, you should be good to go. However, you still should board up your windows if the eye of the storm will be near the city as flying debris can break them. Also, be aware of trees that can blow over and hit power lines or your home.

I'm a NC native and have been through several bad hurricanes. Last year, Irene did a lot of damage to Eastern NC, but the worst damage I saw was caused by flooding. The worst damage my condo saw was from wind that blew leaves all over as well as removing a few shingles on the building.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM

10,694 posts, read 11,333,530 times
North Carolina has the fourth most hurricane strikes of any state in the US right after Texas and Louisiana. Florida, understandably getting it from all sides, has the many more than any other state. U.S. Mainland Hurricane Strikes by State, 1851-2004 . Certainly being w/in 30 minutes of the coast would put you right in the middle of the strike zone. Anyone who was in the state for Hurricane Hugo or Hurricane Fran can tell you that the impact of hurricanes can be felt far inland as well. Hugo took down trees all the way into the mountains and Charlotte was heavily impacted. Hurricane Fran knocked out power for a week or more in parts of the triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) with roads impassable because of downed trees. Flooding is very damaging, but hurricanes also spawn tornadoes with damaging winds. They're also huge storms. The good news is, you know they're coming and can get out of town.

It wouldn't worry me, but if you're scared of storms you might want to pick another state. Both Virginia and South Carolina have fewer hurricanes than NC. Georgia has a surprisingly low amount of direct strikes. However, if it only takes one direct hit, just like one traffic accident, to make a huge impact.

Being in the northern part of the state vs being in the southern part of the state has no bearing on snowfall. Outside of the mountains you won't see very much snow anywhere (0-2 times a winter), but they certainly can have snow anywhere along the coast.

It's easy to look at a map and see that Wilmington is the largest coastal city in NC.

You need to find a job first, though, and find the city after that.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:02 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,439,269 times
If you" know nothing about NC", how did you come to decide you want to move here? I ask because whatever info you are basing it on could be outdated. Usually people want to move to places they have been to and like, not places they "know nothing about", especially if they don't have jobs transferring them there.

As said, Eastern NC is kind of a wasteland for jobs, except maybe Wilmginton or Greenville. You might venture into SC and the Myrtle Beach/Florcne area or even Charleston, or northward to the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area which is the largest city near the NC coast. Virginia also gets hurricanes far less than NC. It so happens that NC's coast is mostly very small towns or military places, for the most part, except Wilmington which is a small/medium city.

I highly advise visiting before making too many plans, wherever you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina