U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 11,316 times

Advertisements

We are from Pittsburgh, PA. I've been trying to convince my husband to move down somewhere warmer and I think he's finally on board. I'm hoping someone can help us out because we are not familiar with the area at all.

I definitely want to live within 30 minutes of the beach. That has always been a dream of mine. I'm guessing southern NC is probably my best option, because I'd like to see as little snow as possible.

We do have 2 young kids, so decent schools are important, and also a low crime rate.

I'm looking for not a crazy busy, large, major city or town, but something with good shopping, restaurants, activities and recreation, etc. We are not rich by any means so expensive neighborhoods and places with a high rent or cost of living is out.

I've read about Wilmington. Any suggestions on that? The only bad thing I read is about a lot of hurricanes. Are these the type of storms that are going to ruin our home and belongings or just be an annoyance for a few days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 06:11 PM

11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratt713 View Post
The only bad thing I read is about a lot of hurricanes. Are these the type of storms that are going to ruin our home and belongings or just be an annoyance for a few days?
You can't predict what a hurricane will do. Last summer we drove through miles of country where the trees were uprooted, and the roofs of house were destroyed. It's one of the costs of living on the coast.

If you think you want to move here, there are good schools systems in Hampstead and Newport. The trick will be finding jobs. The state's last reported unemployment rate was 9.7%, and North Carolina was ranked 47th. But, please do some research on jobs, and come to visit to see wherther you would really want to live here. It's just not warmer weather, it's a cultural adaptation.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,635,176 times
you must visit the area first , to sit and dream about being somewhere warmer
is all good but you will be uprooting your whole family.
very important to keep your extended family in mind, sometimes it is harder to be far away
from them.
jobs, you must secure jobs before moving.

other than that Wilmington is the only big city on the coast of NC, many beautiful great smaller towns too but again research before you uproot your family.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM

431 posts, read 1,012,171 times
I agree with movedtothecoast. Definitely visit first, and I highly suggest doing so during the summer. That way you get a real glimpse of what the weather is like. You don't want to make the move down here and then decide you hate it.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 PM

116 posts, read 286,205 times
OK a native of eastern NC left and am back and will answer a few questions. There actually are not a lot of towns within a 30 minute drive of the coast I would live in with a few exceptions. The towns are A. either right along the coast or just inland or further inland (hour or so)

Wilmington is a nice town, some like it some hate it. It is a tourist city and then a college town with some acting. Iron Man III will be filmed there and several movies and tv shows have been filmed their ein the past. Beaches are all ok down that way and if you choose to live in the suburbs it is quite reasonable. Schoolwise, like any city some good some bad, visit, check ncdpi school reportcards. Just north of Wilmington Hampstead and Topsail areas have some ok schools. From what you are saying about as far north along the coast you may want to look is the crystal coast area (carteret County.) Schools in carteret County are all pretty good, weather is ok most of the year but some cold spells (nothing like up north)

As for hurricanes I would not worry much about them. You have plenty of notice of any impending storm so plan accordingly. A generator is a good thing (Last Sept. Hurricane our power was out for 5 days so we used it for tv, refirg and freezer.) Sometimes you get trees down (but an ice storm up north can do far more damage in this regard) and some minor flooding in low areas. Check for flood insurance needs, it really depends on location.

NC in the summer is very very hot and very very humid. Most who relocate down here say ohh the winters are nothing like up north Summer hits and blammmmm,,,, oh my god I did not expect it to be like this in the summer. Just the way it is, sand so hot on the beach you have to have shoes on hot! Oh and bugs (Waterbugs,,,ie palmeto bugs or giant roaches are a fact of living down east, mosquitos and ticks)

All that being said we do have mild winters for the most part, some very old history and some beautiful beaches.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 AM

132 posts, read 139,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeacock View Post
Oh and bugs (Waterbugs,,,ie palmeto bugs or giant roaches are a fact of living down east, mosquitos and ticks)
How big of a problem are ticks in the area? I'm sure you get them in wooded areas but do they also invade people's gardens and crawl onto garden furniture? Are the found in high grass near NC beaches?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:12 AM

5 posts, read 11,316 times
I would definitely visit before moving. These posts are just to get an idea of towns to look into. We would never move without having secured a job, and we don't have much extended family left where we live.

Ok but giant roaches..definitely something to think about

Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 8,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBIF View Post
How big of a problem are ticks in the area? I'm sure you get them in wooded areas but do they also invade people's gardens and crawl onto garden furniture? Are the found in high grass near NC beaches?

Ticks are especally bad this season along with red bugs aka Chiggers due to the mild winter we had. I have not had them in my yard but seen a many of them back in the woods. As long as you keep your yard free of pine straw and leaves you should not have an issue with them as a pest. Might find the occasional lost one but otherwise I think you would be fine.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:33 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,750,911 times
Newport, NC About 10 minutes from Morehead City, 35 Minutes from New Bern (inland) Relatively inexpensive housing, pretty good schools.

I would also suggest New Bern itself. Or Morehead City, but housing is more expensive in either.

The coast in MHC, IHMO, is much nicer than that found farther south. I have lived in both places.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,432 times
My wife and I are planning our retirement and are considering Wilmington, but some of these comments about the city are not helping. Can somebody share some of the nice things Wilmington has to offer to a couple of young retirees? boating, fishing, swiming, bicycling, theater etc.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina