U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,431 times

Advertisements

We're new to NC (Raleigh area) and curious about buying a summer home at the beach. There are a couple areas that are affordable to us, namely Kill Devil Hills, and North Topsail Beach. We know nothing about those areas, are they nice? And by nice I just mean not run down, and safe. We're from up north and very used to congested, crowded areas so that wouldn't bother me so much as long as it isn't a crime ridden area. I guess I am just curious as to why those areas are SO much more affordable than other areas in the Outer Banks. Would we be better off looking in Myrtle Beach? I know most of the beaches here are beautiful, but it we can only afford the areas mentioned. Thank you so much for any input on those areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM

19,503 posts, read 17,745,163 times
Don't knwo anything about thse areas but have you checked out Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach in Carteret County?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,507,822 times
Like trlhiker, I have a preference for Emerald Isle & Atlantic Beach, I just think they're "prettier".

However, if you're looking for a beach house close to amenities, Myrtle Beach may be more up your alley. Myrtle is my husband and I's "go to" for beach vacations due to the better selection of restaurants, shopping, night life, etc. Even though I'm not much of a 'beach' person, it's still nice to be able to enjoy the beach in the morning, and the benefit from amenities at night.

Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach are okay for day trips, but severely lack in any amenities beyond the essentials (there is a grocery store, and a couple of random bars/restaurants but not a whole lot- it's mostly residential).

As for North Topsail, I've never personally liked it. One problem that you'll get with Emerald Isle, Atlantic and Topsail in general is the proximity to the Marine Corps bases. I've had acquaintances live out on North Topsail (who were Marines), and I hate to say it but... I certainly wouldn't want to be their neighbors! (No offense to the Marine Corps, my husband is a Marine, but when you get a whole bunch of 20-something young guys together in a house, the shennanigans can be beyond outrageous- like a frat party and then some).

I enjoy night life, but I don't want to live next to 'the night life'- if that makes sense. This would definitely be a risk at any vacation / beach property you bought however, not just near the Marine Corps bases (although it seems amplified around here at times).

I honestly don't know much about Kill Devil Hills- I would assume it would be a little quieter since it's further north but I'm not 100% positive.

I suggest going to Myrtle, and then taking a trip back up the coast, spending a few nights at each beach and perusing the area to see what you think before making any decisions.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncmomma View Post
I guess I am just curious as to why those areas are SO much more affordable than other areas in the Outer Banks.
Parts of North Topsail Beach are eroding badly, and you may not be able to get federal flood insurance on them. That's why they are cheap, so be careful. But there are nice houses there, and some of them are bargains. NTB is a quiet family place with little commercial development. I haven't seen groups of Marines in houses, but there might be.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM

202 posts, read 300,312 times
Yeah, try Myrtle Beach instead. You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM

196 posts, read 499,915 times
A number of things you need to look at are CAMA regulations too.

North Topsail is pretty, but the reason you see such low prices is because of issues goldenage mentioned. You might find this study of interest:
http://www.protectthebeach.com/temp/...0paper-05e.pdf

However Topsail Island is almost 26 miles long so further south in Surf City, or even just over the county line from Surf City, you may find places. And of course there is Topsail Beach at the southern end of the island where we have a place.

Look at the different beaches and see which ones appeal to you the most.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:02 PM

431 posts, read 1,011,527 times
Kill Devil Hills is nice, but there isn't much to do in the off season.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncmomma View Post
We're new to NC (Raleigh area) and curious about buying a summer home at the beach. There are a couple areas that are affordable to us, namely Kill Devil Hills, and North Topsail Beach. We know nothing about those areas, are they nice? And by nice I just mean not run down, and safe. We're from up north and very used to congested, crowded areas so that wouldn't bother me so much as long as it isn't a crime ridden area. I guess I am just curious as to why those areas are SO much more affordable than other areas in the Outer Banks. Would we be better off looking in Myrtle Beach? I know most of the beaches here are beautiful, but it we can only afford the areas mentioned. Thank you so much for any input on those areas!
I thought Kill Devil Hills WAS the Outer Banks?

Anyway, before buying a beach house, you need to go see the beaches themselves before even looking at specific houses. An ad on the internet can only show so much--it won't show how congested the roads are or how much of a pain it is to get to from where you are, what kinds of grocery stores are nearby, what there is to do, etc. Take a vacation at Topsail and explore the place, and while you're there, look at houses if one meets your eye. I can't imagine just saying "I want a beach house" and picking one off the Internet without footwork in the location itself.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,431 times
Thank you for the info! This is the exact kind of stuff I am looking for. Francois, ofcourse I would explore. i am just trying to see if there are some areas I can rule out so I am not spending weeks exploring every beach in NC. . I've got 3 small kids to do this exploring with so we have to narrow it down as much as possible before heading out. We have been to Myrtle Beach a bunch of times so no need to explore there. i am thinking we'll take a drive out to Kill Devil Hills & Kitty Hawk. I'm a little nervous about the hurricane risk at NC beaches but I guess that is a risk you take buying property anywhere on southeastern seaboard! Thank you so much wrestlingterp for the info, see it's stuff like that, that I would have no idea about. And the Marine Base stuff. I love me some Marines, my brother is one but you are right, I wouldn't want my family beach home in close proximity. Let the boys be boys, just not near me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina