U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 AM

5,876 posts, read 8,863,324 times

Advertisements

I'm rethinking my idea of moving further inland because I can't stand living more than an hour from the beach. I'm currently renting in Wilmington, and plan to buy in the fall...I have my eye on Sunset Park, but, have seen some intriguing listings in Summer Hills, right near Sunset Park.

Does anyone have any opinions on this neighborhood in terms of crime (I'll look at the stats), future resale value, anything else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,641,555 times
don't know where it even is! is it right by forest hills and market street? pine valley area always seemed like a nice place and also the east side of college rd in the pine valley area has lost of great neighborhood. this area goes from college to myrtle grove rd or rather masonboro sound rd.

I wish you luck in your endeavor of finding the perfect place.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 PM

11,273 posts, read 19,828,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
... have seen some intriguing listings in Summer Hills, right near Sunset Park.

Does anyone have any opinions on this neighborhood in terms of crime (I'll look at the stats), future resale value, anything else?
I found it-- North of Sunset Park, on streets called North Carolina Ave, Tennessee Ave, South Carolina Ave. There are a couple inexpensive bungalows, and one new construction house. Maybe somebody believes it is an "up and coming" neighborhood if they are building a new house. I'd have to walk around, check the up-keep of neighboring houses, look for trash in the yards, etc.

Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 AM

5,876 posts, read 8,863,324 times
I drove around it yesterday and it was very pleasant, though not as pretty as neighboring Sunset Park. I think resale potential might not be as good (I was thinking of this one house that is around the corner from an industrial park). But maybe it can benefit from being right next to Sunset Park, which is divine.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:31 AM

11,273 posts, read 19,828,162 times
Are you looking for an investment which will appreciate, or a house to live in long term? My rule of thumb in investing is that if more than half the houses are in poor repair or have trash in the yard, you can't salvage the neighborhood.

I didn't see the interesting architecture in Summer Hill that there is in Sunset Park- just plain bungalows. Renovation is worthwhile for interesting, but not for plain-Jane, IMO.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,248,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'm rethinking my idea of moving further inland because I can't stand living more than an hour from the beach. I'm currently renting in Wilmington, and plan to buy in the fall...I have my eye on Sunset Park, but, have seen some intriguing listings in Summer Hills, right near Sunset Park.

Thanks!
the areas of "Summer Hills" that abut greenfield lake , or the ones close to greenfield lake amphitheater, are okay.

sunset park is ok as long as you live somewhere in very close proximity to northern or central.

i have considered living in those areas before, and i would only do it if i found a huge bargain. it's sort of a 'seedy urban' area, in the sense that you have all sorts of trucks/port traffic, chemical tankers, homeless people, industrial pollution, crime at / around the lake, housing projects, that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina