U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 14,927 times

Advertisements

There is a potential job offer in Jacksonville, NC that I'm considering, however when researching the area on wikipedia, it states:

"Jacksonville has the highest per capita rate of pawn shops, strip clubs and tattoo parlors in the United States."

This worries me as I do not want to move my family to that kind of environment. Can anyone confirm or deny this association?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 04:47 PM

180 posts, read 204,920 times
Jacksonville has the largest marine base in the U.S. I'm sure that they are concentrated around Camp Lejeune and not spread evenly throughout the city. I've only been there once, but I didn't even notice one business of ill-repute. Just be sure and relocate to a family-oriented area and you'll be safe.

On a less sexy note, there are beautiful beaches around Jacksonville. Topsail Island and Emerald Isle are the ones that I have visited a few times. There are also some towns nearby that I thought looked a little nicer than Jacksonville...like Beaufort, Morehead City, and New Bern.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:17 PM

843 posts, read 2,452,650 times
I lived in Jacksonville from 96-02 (stationed on MCAS New River) and yes there is a large concentration of pawn shops and tattoo parlors (I actually didn't think there were that many strip clubs around) but it's not that much different from any other military town where they're trying to swindle young Marines (or soldiers, sailors, etc) out of their pay. There's also a high concentration of car lots and fast food joints. I wouldn't call that "seedy". Your kids wouldn't really be exposed to that element, anyway, unless you've got them out on the town at 2AM.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,682,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY2NC View Post
There is a potential job offer in Jacksonville, NC that I'm considering, however when researching the area on wikipedia, it states:

"Jacksonville has the highest per capita rate of pawn shops, strip clubs and tattoo parlors in the United States."

This worries me as I do not want to move my family to that kind of environment. Can anyone confirm or deny this association?
As others have said, there is a huge military base there. It's no different then any other town with one...and better then many.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 PM

148 posts, read 532,964 times
There is one big strip with a lot of tattoo parlors & pawn shops, and a few strip joints but, like others have said, that's related to being home to such a large military base. There are some nice areas once you get right away from downtown, and also a few very pretty areas out in the country within a short commute.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 14,927 times
Thanks for the info, I think we'll check it out.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:37 PM

148 posts, read 555,486 times
Default Western Carteret County...

You may want to consider the Cape Carteret area east of Jacksonville, it is only 15 miles from it, Cape Carteret is a small, quaint town, very close to the beach. Croatan High School was rated 3rd in the state academically, and White Oak Elementary was the ONLY elementary school in the county to meets its state standards last year. These are facts that cant be disputed, and very good reasons to consider this area. Housing has become very affordable here since prices have fallen like crazy.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,357,197 times
This just came out today
Bill

Onslow rape numbers top state list
LINDELL KAY
JACKSONVILLE DAILY NEWS STAFF
More forcible rapes were reported to the Onslow County Sheriff's Department last year than to any other county-based law enforcement agency in the state, according to an annual report released by the U.S. Department of Justice.

The county had 39 forcible rapes reported in 2006. New Hanover County was second with 30 and Carteret County was in a five-way tie for fourth place with 20. The statistics for Charlotte-Mecklenburg, which leads all counties and municipalities in all crime categories, were recorded as being for a city.

"Numbers give you numbers," Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown said. "But numbers don't give you facts."

Complete Story: Top Story: Onslow rape numbers top state list, reported, report, rape - JDNews.com

Old 09-30-2007, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 14,404 times
Was born in Jacksonville, " Jacksonville is of course a military area an so there are diverse cultures> art> foods an above All else peoples from everywhere in the world literally. This I always found to be a most wonderful quality an enjoyed many yrs growing up in my hometown area. If your looking for diversity its the place to be. The country areas surrounding the city its self have some very warm careing an Spiritual people who have lived there for many many yrs. Between the Jax.an Newbern areas along the neuse river are the original homelands of the Tuscarora indians," a proud an wise people, an if your graced to live near some of them you will find that your life will never be the same. Dare to adventure

Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,944 times
You should check out New Bern, NC because there are no strip joints and it is absolutely beautiful. If you would like to find out more about our area my husband and I went to Prudential Clear Water realty to find our dream home. They are located on Craven St. in New Bern. The agent was so very professional and we did not have the headaches that go along with the search for a home. We are so very happy in New Bern. It is the best of both worlds because you can either have country or if you like the city you can choose that and the historic district is beautiful. You are also only 45 minutes from Atlantic Beach and you can also be in the country so you get the best of both worlds. Check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina