U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 PM
 
9 posts, read 30,521 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Help. Lived in Wilmington for 2 years and moved back to FL because of the cold. Now hating it because we have changed and the area of SW FL has changed. Thinking about coming back or going to Ponte Vedra. Any personal thoughts on either area? Exhausted trying to decide best play to raise 3 children for a family that loves the beach and teach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 AM
 
197 posts, read 876,820 times
Reputation: 144
Is the cold the only thing that made you leave Wilmington?
When did you move back to FL? How have you changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
 
5 posts, read 23,864 times
Reputation: 14
Ponte Verda is awesome. I lived there when I was younger - just out of high school. I was back there last year for a visit and there was growth from my last visit, but not insane crazy growth. Most of the beaches to the south are now developed with oversized houses, once that area was just dunes and empty beach, but overall still a nice ride out of PV south. PV itself is a nice town, with the price tag to boot. My wife and I are in the DC area now and actually looking at relocating to the Wilmington area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
956 posts, read 4,074,552 times
Reputation: 365
Florida is a big state. Have you looked into other areas of Florida?
The "cold" as you put it, ain't gonna change. Maybe somewhere near Clearwater area would be a good compromise. I have family there who were originally from NC. They raised their kids in that area and seemed to love it.
But, what do I know. I left NC and moved to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
 
29 posts, read 34,293 times
Reputation: 20
You can never go home...................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 AM
 
375 posts, read 803,850 times
Reputation: 439
Default NC Beaches

Hi there,
I am looking to move to NC coastline as well from FL - I am over FL and fell in love with NC while I was visiting.... I'm a teacher as well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Cape Carteret, NC
713 posts, read 3,474,018 times
Reputation: 543
Smile We have a number of Florida folks moving to the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
Hi there,
I am looking to move to NC coastline as well from FL - I am over FL and fell in love with NC while I was visiting.... I'm a teacher as well..
I don't know what part of the coast captured your heart, but ours, Carteret County, is one of the nicest if you like small town life.

Wilmington is our big city, only an hour and thirty minutes away, but most of the time it is a world away with their busy for the area traffic.

Some people need to be close to cities so Wilmington is only city of any size on the Carolina coast, and we enjoy visiting there.

I am not hooked into the world of education since our kids are grown, but I have seen some people come to the area for the schools. Carteret County schools have done well.

The Carolina coast is a wonderful spot. There are still real fishing boats along the coast. The waters are relatively pure and you can get fresh seafood right off of the boats.

We came from the Virginia mountains so the total of nineteen hours of below freezing temperatures that we got for the whole month of January was a real treat.

I have noticed after living down here that it does seem cooler when I go back to the mountains.

I lived in Canada for seventeen years and at that time could work outside without gloves when it was twenty below zero. Being comfortable at a certain temperature is to some extent what you experience over time.

Good luck in your move, visit my one of my websites for info on our area.

Southern Outer Banks, My first year here, or some photos from the area.

I have started a new blog with recent adventures.

I got the shot below yesterday near Clyde-Phillips Seafood in Swansboro. I posted more of last night's unusual sky at Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocracokewaves/ - broken link).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 12:55 PM
 
9 posts, read 30,521 times
Reputation: 12
I have visited the area and it is beautiful. It is just that there really isn't a lot of oppoturnity for employment. I am a teacher and the NC pay scale for teachers is terrible!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
I don't know what part of the coast captured your heart, but ours, Carteret County, is one of the nicest if you like small town life.

Wilmington is our big city, only an hour and thirty minutes away, but most of the time it is a world away with their busy for the area traffic.

Some people need to be close to cities so Wilmington is only city of any size on the Carolina coast, and we enjoy visiting there.

I am not hooked into the world of education since our kids are grown, but I have seen some people come to the area for the schools. Carteret County schools have done well.

The Carolina coast is a wonderful spot. There are still real fishing boats along the coast. The waters are relatively pure and you can get fresh seafood right off of the boats.

We came from the Virginia mountains so the total of nineteen hours of below freezing temperatures that we got for the whole month of January was a real treat.

I have noticed after living down here that it does seem cooler when I go back to the mountains.

I lived in Canada for seventeen years and at that time could work outside without gloves when it was twenty below zero. Being comfortable at a certain temperature is to some extent what you experience over time.

Good luck in your move, visit my one of my websites for info on our area.

Southern Outer Banks, My first year here, or some photos from the area.

I have started a new blog with recent adventures.

I got the shot below yesterday near Clyde-Phillips Seafood in Swansboro. I posted more of last night's unusual sky at Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocracokewaves/ - broken link).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM
 
9 posts, read 30,521 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks, lived in Land O Lakes for 5 years and don't want to go back to the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Florida is a big state. Have you looked into other areas of Florida?
The "cold" as you put it, ain't gonna change. Maybe somewhere near Clearwater area would be a good compromise. I have family there who were originally from NC. They raised their kids in that area and seemed to love it.
But, what do I know. I left NC and moved to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2007, 06:13 AM
 
90 posts, read 311,173 times
Reputation: 31
Did you look into Currituck County, outer banks main land in NC ? I live there and its nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top