U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 PM

917 posts, read 2,092,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
What's going on in Whitakers that 2 people from outside the area find jobs there?
There is an engine plant there. It used to be called Consolidated Diesel, maybe it still is. My husband worked there before he retired. As soon as he did we left.We had lived in Red Oak, a tiny village just west of Rocky Mount. We lived there for 17years as did our 7 kids. I say this to bring home the point that I really do know the area. Actually there are or were 2 country clubs in Rky Mt. and on the outside it looks nice. There are a lot of places to shop or eat, there are nice parks and a wonderful art center that has amazing stuff for all age groups. Housing prices and rentals aren't bad at all either. The problem is drugs and crime. It's actually dangerous to go into the Walmart and very unsafe to go into the eastern side of the city. Yes, most places today have drugs and crime but for a rural area Rky Mt goes way beyond the norm. Nashville is much safer, as is Roanoke Rapids, but very little for a young person to do. I did not notice if you were male or female...what are your interests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM

11,263 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Nashville is much safer, as is Roanoke Rapids, but very little for a young person to do. I did not notice if you were male or female...what are your interests?
Thanks for the update. I was just curious about the job situation in Whitakers. The original poster (wildcatnittanylion) appeared to be a man, as did the responder rangomatrix007.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 PM

17 posts, read 44,254 times
Move to Nashville, NC and you'll be about 45 minutes from Raleigh, NC. I believe you're love Raleigh because the city have much more to offer you. Whitakers is not far from Nashville.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 878 times
I'm a single mother of two wanting to relocate to be closer to this job offer in Whitaker.please help me decide if this would be a good place to raise my two beautiful biracial girls.thank you we are very guilt laid back just need a mall and Walmart and of course a good movie theatre.really need to know bout school system please help

Old 08-18-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilmangirl View Post
I'm a single mother of two wanting to relocate to be closer to this job offer in Whitaker.please help me decide if this would be a good place to raise my two beautiful biracial girls.thank you we are very guilt laid back just need a mall and Walmart and of course a good movie theatre.really need to know bout school system please help
It is a tiny town, but you would probably not be the only mixed-race family. I'm not sure I would want to live there, but please read the profile: http://www.city-data.com/city/Whitak...-Carolina.html

The problem with describing the schools, is that there is a county line boundary running through the middle of Whitakers. Edgecombe County is on the east, and the Nash/Rocky Mount schools are on the west. Depending on exactly where you live with a Whitakers address, you could be in one of those. If you lived a little to the north, you would be in Halifax County. I suggest you use Schooldigger to explore your options. For eample: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NC/di...70/search.aspx

If you are willing to commute a bit, I suggest the New Hope Elementary in Wilson which is a better-rated school. Please also read the past comments about Red Oak and Nashville.

BTW, the closest WalMarts and movies are in Roanoke Rapids or Rocky Mount.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-18-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
he problem with describing the schools, is that there is a county line boundary running through the middle of Whitakers.
I notice that Whitakers is only a short commute from Rocky Mount Preparatory School. You might look into it as an alternative to the low-rated public schools. It is a public charter school (with no tuition), and admission is by lottery. The population of kids is diverse, and they look happy and well-behaved.

It is a K-12 school, with details here: Enroll - Rocky Mount Prep

Old 08-19-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
The problem with describing the schools, is that there is a county line boundary running through the middle of Whitakers.
There is also the Swift Creek Elementary School in Nash County with a Whitakers address. It rates a 5 of 10, which is about the best rating you willl find in the area. School boundaries here: School and District Boundaries Map | GreatSchools

Also check Coopers Elementary in Elm City, and Nashville Elementary in Nashville, (rated 6 and 5 out of 10).

If you took the job, I believe you could find decent, suitable education for your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina