U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 PM

15 posts, read 51,083 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the area and was wondering if there is anywhere at wrightsville beach or Carolina beach to park without paying every time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 AM

431 posts, read 1,014,193 times
I thought parking was free on the side roads at Carolina Beach. I've never paid when I've gone. As for WB, I think you will only find free parking if you park further from the beach.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:17 PM

29,925 posts, read 34,988,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucku View Post
I just moved to the area and was wondering if there is anywhere at wrightsville beach or Carolina beach to park without paying every time?
Just keep driving past Carolina to Kure or Fort Fisher thats where the free parking is best.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM

5,885 posts, read 8,890,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Just keep driving past Carolina to Kure or Fort Fisher thats where the free parking is best.
This is true. I live closer to Wrightsville and the last two times I tried to go I never found parking at all and went back home

Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 PM

29,925 posts, read 34,988,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
This is true. I live closer to Wrightsville and the last two times I tried to go I never found parking at all and went back home
Unfortunately for a number of reasons there are less spaces at CB and the last couple of weekends parking everywhere at all three beaches is going rapidly. This weekend even Fisher was full by 11:30. Anyone wishing to go ought to be there by 10:30 on a nice weekend and this weekend was awesome. Also check for special events as a week ago CB had the music festival on Saturday and Fisher had a beach soccer tournament.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 51,083 times
Yes i figured it out Saturday when i took the family down to Wrightsville beach around 1:00. Big mistake. Beaches were packed and it took us about an hour of driving around to find a spot. I totally love WB though. Very nice beach and perfect for the kids.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM

1,966 posts, read 3,488,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucku View Post
Yes i figured it out Saturday when i took the family down to Wrightsville beach around 1:00. Big mistake. Beaches were packed and it took us about an hour of driving around to find a spot. I totally love WB though. Very nice beach and perfect for the kids.
There is plenty of parking on WB...it just depends on how far you are willing to walk to get to the beach.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,648,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
There is plenty of parking on WB...it just depends on how far you are willing to walk to get to the beach.

as I frequent WB quite a bit, I have yet to find plenty of parking, even when I walk far. care to enligthen us?

now that parking on Harbour Island has been banned there are not many options. WB is not interested in busses or something along that line, one could get the feeling that owners on WB wants it all to themselves.

I have found that it is best to get there either early or around 3 pm , avoid week ends! some days a lot of driving is needed before a space opens up, then one has to pay a quarter per 8 minutes!!!

when one compares the friendliness of Pleasure Island to Wrightsville Beach it is easy to see who comes out ahead.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 AM

1,966 posts, read 3,488,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
as I frequent WB quite a bit, I have yet to find plenty of parking, even when I walk far. care to enligthen us?

now that parking on Harbour Island has been banned there are not many options. WB is not interested in busses or something along that line, one could get the feeling that owners on WB wants it all to themselves.

I have found that it is best to get there either early or around 3 pm , avoid week ends! some days a lot of driving is needed before a space opens up, then one has to pay a quarter per 8 minutes!!!

when one compares the friendliness of Pleasure Island to Wrightsville Beach it is easy to see who comes out ahead.
When did they ban parking on Harbour Island? I know they recently put up a ton of meters, but I wasn't aware meters = no parking.

I do agree with getting there early or parking across the ICW and biking over (if you have that ability). WB is definitely a lot more crowded than it was 20+ years ago.

Also, is parking no longer allowed on Pelican Drive (runs alongside W Salisbury)? I know there are always a ton of cars parked there and they aren't resident vehicles either.

EDIT: This looks like the only area on Harbour where non-resident parking isn't allowed during certain times.

http://www.townofwrightsvillebeach.c...HY%3d&tabid=36

Also, if you don't want to keep pumping the meter w/ quarters, you can pre-pay by phone (handy to add more time while you're out on the beach) or purchase a daily/weekly visitor parking pass.

Last edited by bmrisko; 06-13-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 02:37 PM

5,885 posts, read 8,890,426 times
The pre-pay by phone is seriously one of my favorite inventions ever. You can use it in downtown Wilmington too.

I noticed that it's a huge moneymaker though. The meter itself doesn't show that there's still time left on it - I've left before my time ran out often, so then they'd get double the money for that time period because the new parker would pay to use that spot, not knowing I'd paid by phone and maybe they'd get a free hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina