U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,367,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Unfortunately,there are too many gangs and crime here now to do this safely. Sad,but true.
Not really true...I'd move back there today if I wanted to. Was in the area with all the churches...First Pres, St Mary's, First Baptist, Episcopal, etc...

This is not a high crime area...

Just for reference, I heard a number of folks (usually old school locals that never lived there) say that before I moved there...never had a problem, got to know many of the neighbors. Still do some business with some of the folks in that area.

Many people see stuff on the news about a crime near one of the public housing complexes or even in Forest Hills and assume that is downtown. There are some issues downtown, but usually after midnight type stuff near the bar scene involving out of towners. There was one random act on 2nd St that has been well documented, as has been the back story behind it...which could have happened anywhere in town in retrospect.

Last edited by HP91; 10-24-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 AM

519 posts, read 739,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Not really true...I'd move back there today if I wanted to. Was in the area with all the churches...First Pres, St Mary's, First Baptist, Episcopal, etc...

This is not a high crime area...

Just for reference, I heard a number of folks (usually old school locals that never lived there) say that before I moved there...never had a problem, got to know many of the neighbors. Still do some business with some of the folks in that area.

Many people see stuff on the news about a crime near one of the public housing complexes or even in Forest Hills and assume that is downtown. There are some issues downtown, but usually after midnight type stuff near the bar scene involving out of towners. There was one random act on 2nd St that has been well documented, as has the back story behind it...which could have happened anywhere in town in retrospect.
Sorry,but we have lived here for ten years and it's not just stuff on the news anymore in certain areas. It's all over now and way out of control. Most people want even go anywhere downtown right now in the daytime much less at night. So sad because it's such a nice area. They have recently assigned a special task force just to deal with the gangs and gang related crimes. Hopefully,it will help and people can once again enjoy the beauty of the downtown area without having to worry about a flying bullet.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry,but we have lived here for ten years and it's not just stuff on the news anymore in certain areas. It's all over now and way out of control. Most people want even go anywhere downtown right now in the daytime much less at night. So sad because it's such a nice area. They have recently assigned a special task force just to deal with the gangs and gang related crimes. Hopefully,it will help and people can once again enjoy the beauty of the downtown area without having to worry about a flying bullet.
Generalizing...

Here's the latest story on an incident...

Woman's house shot at Saturday afternoon, police say | 911 | Downtown Wilmington News

1500 block of Market St, which is near New Hanover High School...12 blocks from 3rd St, and not that surprising for that area. The van was found on 30th St...again, not surprising.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th St areas are safe, as is the general downtown area.

Here is a report from the Darlington Rd area...(remember my reference to public housing complexes)...

Shooting leaves bullet holes in Wilmington apartments | News | South College News

This is closer to UNCW than it is to downtown Wilmington.

Here is one near Creekwood...(public housing again)...

Search continues for suspect in detective shooting | Crime | Downtown Wilmington News

Here is the one occurance downtown...that originated in the Forest Hills neighborhood (a high end neighborhood)...

City responds to fatal downtown Wilm. shooting - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Should be noted that the City has reacted to this by improving lighting, etc...and caught all those involved. (In the shooting at Creekwood, they have since shot a killed the criminal).

Most other issues have happened in the Castle Street area or in the North end.

So, in reference to the OP's original question...I would answer any of the areas I have listed above...30th St, Castle St, 15th St, North end, Darlington area...even possibly the Forest Hills area.

It should be noted that all of those areas have ALWAYS been the problem areas...its nothing new...it was that way 30 years ago or more.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Generalizing...

Here's the latest story on an incident...

Woman's house shot at Saturday afternoon, police say | 911 | Downtown Wilmington News

1500 block of Market St, which is near New Hanover High School...12 blocks from 3rd St, and not that surprising for that area. The van was found on 30th St...again, not surprising.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th St areas are safe, as is the general downtown area.

Here is a report from the Darlington Rd area...(remember my reference to public housing complexes)...

Shooting leaves bullet holes in Wilmington apartments | News | South College News

This is closer to UNCW than it is to downtown Wilmington.

Here is one near Creekwood...(public housing again)...

Search continues for suspect in detective shooting | Crime | Downtown Wilmington News

Here is the one occurance downtown...that originated in the Forest Hills neighborhood (a high end neighborhood)...

City responds to fatal downtown Wilm. shooting - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Should be noted that the City has reacted to this by improving lighting, etc...and caught all those involved. (In the shooting at Creekwood, they have since shot a killed the criminal).

Most other issues have happened in the Castle Street area or in the North end.

So, in reference to the OP's original question...I would answer any of the areas I have listed above...30th St, Castle St, 15th St, North end, Darlington area...even possibly the Forest Hills area.

It should be noted that all of those areas have ALWAYS been the problem areas...its nothing new...it was that way 30 years ago or more.
Generalizations? Seriously? To the OP......Just be VERY careful where you choose

Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Generalizations? Seriously? To the OP......Just be VERY careful where you choose
Yep...seriously. You are equating incidents in certain neighborhoods around town with the downtown business district, when in fact they are not in the downtown business district.

I call that generalizing...and it happens far too frequently with the crowd that lives either outside of Wilmington or in the Wrightsville Beach area. They try and give downtown a negative connotation and talk about how bad it is recently.

It's really the same as it ever was...the downtown business district is safe and some of the neighborhoods within a mile or so are not...and certainly some of the specific (usually older) public housing complexes are not.

In reality you have complexes recently built and thriving businesses going in on the southend of downtown...here is South Front, which I have friends that live in and is very nice...

South Front Apartments | Downtown Wilmington, NC

And there is The Harp and Satellite Lounge right next door...check out the ratings on Satellite...

Satellite Bar and Lounge - Wilmington, NC

You don't have to believe me about my opinions...just go through the links I provided to see the reality and know that some are uninformed or misguided about the reality of downtown Wilmington.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Yep...seriously. You are equating incidents in certain neighborhoods around town with the downtown business district, when in fact they are not in the downtown business district.

I call that generalizing...and it happens far too frequently with the crowd that lives either outside of Wilmington or in the Wrightsville Beach area. They try and give downtown a negative connotation and talk about how bad it is recently.

It's really the same as it ever was...the downtown business district is safe and some of the neighborhoods within a mile or so are not...and certainly some of the specific (usually older) public housing complexes are not.

In reality you have complexes recently built and thriving businesses going in on the southend of downtown...here is South Front, which I have friends that live in and is very nice...

South Front Apartments | Downtown Wilmington, NC

And there is The Harp and Satellite Lounge right next door...check out the ratings on Satellite...

Satellite Bar and Lounge - Wilmington, NC

You don't have to believe me about my opinions...just go through the links I provided to see the reality and know that some are uninformed or misguided about the reality of downtown Wilmington.
The sad,but true reality is that we did not use to have the brutal,disrespectful of anyone or anything gangs that we have now! The locations of past crimes,etc. doesn't matter.....it's what is going on with the gangs now all over the place but mainly downtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina